Search the forum,

Discuss Rusty Cistern Bolts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Masey

Gas Engineer
Last job of the day and it was the dreaded syphon change with very rusty cistern bolts. Tiny downstairs bathroom and no room whatsoever. One of my worst jobs to take on normally. But i thought id try out the new Makita Multi tool for the first time. New Bosch Metal blade and woosh. Each bolt took less than 20 seconds to cut through. Definitely beats using a hacksaw blade any day of the week. Just make sure you wear ear protection. Any other ways people have removed cisterns with rusty bolts?

IMG_3051.jpgIMG_3052.jpgIMG_3053.jpg

I use the same technique with my milwaukee multi tool.

Canna believe i used to use a hack saw!

Fein multi tool cost of blade goes on bill, only good for a couple of cuts, they either pay for the blade or an hour of my time and lots of swearing cutting them off with a hack saw.

Is your makita cordless ?

I usually force off a wing nut and lift cistern to the side praying the fishplate is slotted ha ha.

Al.

I'm running a Shark blade in my Multimaster and its been good for numerous cistern bolts and copper pipe and still sharp with no teeth missing and its only a cheapo blade.

Had one this morning at 8:00am and was in a rush so used brute force and snapped them clean off with grips, very satisfying.

yea if your lucky a good snap with grips can do it, i have cracked the back of the pan before doing that though. My Makita isnt cordless its 240v. The blade seems ok. I used it to then cut off the screws at the back of the cistern which held it back to the wall. Yep agree with Squirrel, Its either a £6 blade or an hour of pure frustration, cut fingers and swearing.

Where are you getting genuine Bosch blades for £6 a piece?
Great little tool, mines not used much but when it is, it saves the day!

Fein multi tool cost of blade goes on bill, only good for a couple of cuts, they either pay for the blade or an hour of my time and lots of swearing cutting them off with a hack saw.

How much did you pay for your fein multi tool? I have been looking at buying one.

Last job of the day and it was the dreaded syphon change with very rusty cistern bolts. Tiny downstairs bathroom and no room whatsoever. One of my worst jobs to take on normally. But i thought id try out the new Makita Multi tool for the first time. New Bosch Metal blade and woosh. Each bolt took less than 20 seconds to cut through. Definitely beats using a hacksaw blade any day of the week. Just make sure you wear ear protection. Any other ways people have removed cisterns with rusty bolts?

View attachment 11272View attachment 11273View attachment 11274

did one last wk with an hacksaw blade in the smallest bathroom took me ages to cut through - need a multitool me thinks

I tend to use a dremmel with mini cutting discs can be a bit awkward in tight spaces but discs are cheap from fleabagfleabag

my last tool on the list, cant justify buying it just for toilets though and if i did, that's a long list of tools for a syphon

1. wet vac
2. multi tool
3. grips
4. adjustables
5. drill

nearly £400 of tools, just for a syphon, lol

my last tool on the list, cant justify buying it just for toilets though and if i did, that's a long list of tools for a syphon

1. wet vac
2. multi tool
3. grips
4. adjustables
5. drill

nearly £400 of tools, just for a syphon, lol

You'll find loads of uses for it once you have one pal, they're awesome.

I know, but need to need one before I can justify buying it if that makes sense
Translation - Wife wont let me buy tools unless I really need them and just bought a new sds drill so no chance

For something like that I normally just use a junior hacksaw blade (without the handle/holder) takes a few minutes at most but that Bosch tool looks handy.

My dremel does most things and doesn't cost the earth in blades. Hear you can get a snake head attachment for it for getting into awkward corners.

My dremel does most things and doesn't cost the earth in blades. Hear you can get a snake head attachment for it for getting into awkward corners.

Which model Dremel do you have? Been looking at these for a while now as a replacement for the multi tool!

Dremmel for me definitely beats a hack saw handy for seized circulating pump nuts as well

I know, but need to need one before I can justify buying it if that makes sense
Translation - Wife wont let me buy tools unless I really need them and just bought a new sds drill so no chance

you get that too then?lol

http://m.NoLinkingToThis/p/makita-tm3000c-2-240v-multi-tool/26060

YouTube makita or fien multi tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rusty Cistern Bolts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock