Discuss 'Renewing' your business? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Renewable M

Especially for the lads (and ladettes) who work for themselves, what do you see as the main barriers to getting into renewables instead of (or more realistically) along side gas/oil?

I'm interested in what would make it easier, what hurdles you have encountered, training and accreditation, understanding etc etc etc.

What is your understanding of renewable technology?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

now im a complete novice about renewables but
ground source pumps my guess most houses are surrounded by a min of 15feet of patio/concrete etc so straight away its labour intensive digging it all out running the pipework etc and then filling it all back in
especially as you will prob have to sub out the donkey work
just my initial thoughts
solar
hate working up high so not keen at all

you got it! ground source can mean mind bending amounts of money spent. If god meant us to fit solar he would have given us wings.

sooooo, air source is the way to go....

a good decent course would be an incentive to me - thinking of going on the one worcestor do.

Agreed, ASHP is for me the best option and easier installation too. As Renewable says, the cost is extreme for GSHP, solar panels are also expensive but like GSHP require small plant as well (any installer in his right mind would not attempt to carry solar panels up a ladder and would use scaffolding).

what about these home power stations have any of you seen them on site yet ?
makes electricity and produces heat as a by product !
bet they cost a fortune too :eek:

what about these home power stations have any of you seen them on site yet ?
makes electricity and produces heat as a by product !
bet they cost a fortune too :eek:

Not as expensive as you think. I work on them all the time and if they work right they are very good. As soon as theres a big demand for them the prices will drop even further.

Agreed, ASHP is for me the best option and easier installation too. As Renewable says, the cost is extreme for GSHP, solar panels are also expensive but like GSHP require small plant as well (any installer in his right mind would not attempt to carry solar panels up a ladder and would use scaffolding).

You say the price is extreme for gshp? Don't the goverment give you upto 80% of the costs through a grant?

Last edited:
What would definatly make things easier would be if people with only a hearsay knowledge of renewables would stop spouting information as if it were fact without ever seeing these in operation!
"My friend says ashp are crap and solar doesn't really work in britain" Etc.....

You say the price is extreme for gshp? Don't the goverment give you upto 80% of the costs through a grant?

It is possible to get up to 80% but as yet i've not come across anyone who has received anything liike this.

What would definatly make things easier would be if people with only a hearsay knowledge of renewables would stop spouting information as if it were fact without ever seeing these in operation!
"My friend says ashp are crap and solar doesn't really work in britain" Etc.....

And who might that be?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Of course solar works! Its whether its value for money thats the issue. Ive seen personal power stations in operation and ground source and they both work brilliantly!!

Transcoman, its a bit of a con that only the big boys can take advantage of. You have to join the scheme(ive just forgot whats its called!! (You tell me and i'll tell you)). Anyway its bloody expensive!

Microgeneration is it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 'Renewing' your business? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Me and a friend have started a new company called Zero Carbon Energy Ltd. We are both competant plumbing and heating engineers and both on the...
Replies
Views
StuF215
S
T
Hello from a newbie - we're renovating a detached bungalow (70 sq m), not on gas, and oil/LPG both undesirable/impractical. The plan is underfloor...
Replies
Views
thehat
T
K
Hi, new member Kenco here with a few queries!! I'm building a house in the south of France and trying to decide the best (cheapest to install and...
Replies
Views
kenco
K
C
hi every one< new to this site so please stick with me i have an open vented heating/hot water water system in my house, there is a hot water...
Replies
Views
ecowarm
E
P
I have recently moved to an old house in Mallorca that was partially restored by someone very keen on central heating controls. (yes it is cold in...
Replies
Views
petenash
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock