Discuss 'Renewing' your business? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Renewable M

Especially for the lads (and ladettes) who work for themselves, what do you see as the main barriers to getting into renewables instead of (or more realistically) along side gas/oil?

I'm interested in what would make it easier, what hurdles you have encountered, training and accreditation, understanding etc etc etc.

What is your understanding of renewable technology?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

now im a complete novice about renewables but
ground source pumps my guess most houses are surrounded by a min of 15feet of patio/concrete etc so straight away its labour intensive digging it all out running the pipework etc and then filling it all back in
especially as you will prob have to sub out the donkey work
just my initial thoughts
solar
hate working up high so not keen at all

you got it! ground source can mean mind bending amounts of money spent. If god meant us to fit solar he would have given us wings.

sooooo, air source is the way to go....

a good decent course would be an incentive to me - thinking of going on the one worcestor do.

Agreed, ASHP is for me the best option and easier installation too. As Renewable says, the cost is extreme for GSHP, solar panels are also expensive but like GSHP require small plant as well (any installer in his right mind would not attempt to carry solar panels up a ladder and would use scaffolding).

what about these home power stations have any of you seen them on site yet ?
makes electricity and produces heat as a by product !
bet they cost a fortune too :eek:

what about these home power stations have any of you seen them on site yet ?
makes electricity and produces heat as a by product !
bet they cost a fortune too :eek:

Not as expensive as you think. I work on them all the time and if they work right they are very good. As soon as theres a big demand for them the prices will drop even further.

Agreed, ASHP is for me the best option and easier installation too. As Renewable says, the cost is extreme for GSHP, solar panels are also expensive but like GSHP require small plant as well (any installer in his right mind would not attempt to carry solar panels up a ladder and would use scaffolding).

You say the price is extreme for gshp? Don't the goverment give you upto 80% of the costs through a grant?

Last edited:
What would definatly make things easier would be if people with only a hearsay knowledge of renewables would stop spouting information as if it were fact without ever seeing these in operation!
"My friend says ashp are crap and solar doesn't really work in britain" Etc.....

You say the price is extreme for gshp? Don't the goverment give you upto 80% of the costs through a grant?

It is possible to get up to 80% but as yet i've not come across anyone who has received anything liike this.

What would definatly make things easier would be if people with only a hearsay knowledge of renewables would stop spouting information as if it were fact without ever seeing these in operation!
"My friend says ashp are crap and solar doesn't really work in britain" Etc.....

And who might that be?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Of course solar works! Its whether its value for money thats the issue. Ive seen personal power stations in operation and ground source and they both work brilliantly!!

Transcoman, its a bit of a con that only the big boys can take advantage of. You have to join the scheme(ive just forgot whats its called!! (You tell me and i'll tell you)). Anyway its bloody expensive!

Microgeneration is it?

Last edited:
Of course solar works! Its whether its value for money thats the issue. Ive seen personal power stations in operation and ground source and they both work brilliantly!!
Spot on Payney, i've installed five solar panel systems in the last 12 months and It's a common misconception that solar panels and solar power systems only work when the sun is shining. Solar thermal power works with diffused radiation, so even on a cloudy day you will still get a good level of energy for solar powered water heating. They can and generally doprovide at least 50-60% of the annual domestic hot water demand, typically 100% during the summer months.

And who might that be?:confused:
No reference to any one here in particular just people you can come across in everyday life....

just to put in perspective I do deal with renewables I have installed both ashp and gshp as well as a fair share of solar so am fully aware of what they can acheive but you will always come across ludites.

No reference to any one here in particular just people you can come across in everyday life....

just to put in perspective I do deal with renewables I have installed both ashp and gshp as well as a fair share of solar so am fully aware of what they can acheive but you will always come across ludites.
Tell me about it! The worst are architects who think that everything done on a drawing board has to be the correct way, they have no or little field experience but still insist it's not their fault when they cock up.

Do you have a preference gakmonkey? For me it has to be solar but ASHP are much easier IMO.

I do like solar and gshp but have to admit ashp are a lot easier to retro fit. Now CHP is something I would like to deal with.

we went to look at the baxi combined heat and power unit, fantastic kit, great support and helpful people. we've quoted them in on a couple of jobs.

solar is a no brainer if you have higher hot water demand, like 2 teenagers or something. gshp is the luxury end of the heat pump market. gshp has higher cop in winter, but in summer when the ashp is giving huge cop, the gshp is same as it was in winter.

thats why ashp and solar are so fab for pools.

why do people refer to trianco as heat pumps..... they are chinese hot water heaters! aaaaargh. always makes me laugh to see highly competent heating engineers saying they are trianco approved.

How do you lads get on with ASHP retro fits?

should mention its the baxi commercial chp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 'Renewing' your business? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
Replies
Views
thehat
T
K
Replies
Views
kenco
K
P