Discuss Removing rubbish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with many of the threads. It is a professional tradesman that clears up after himself. I have received more letters from customers thanking me for how tidy the job is left than the work itself and I often tell people my biggest earner is my vacuum.
Having said that, small amounts of rubbish gets split between there bins, and on larger jobs I offer the alternative of a mini skip as my local tip will not let vans in. When the customer is offered the cost of the skip or take it to the tip themselves I generally find they want to take it themselves. To me the contractor is guilty of lack of communication with his customer.

Respect to you! :smile:
I now have started to do same. The amount of plastic waste from syphons, waste pipe, fill valves, showers etc, is crazy! Let's hope the stuff is actually properly recycled & not buried in the ground.
I try to repair anything that is in serviceable condition & that also saves waste.

its all a load of cobblers.
we have all these recycling classifications of plastics and so on - yet the local vauthority on its website still carries the message that they can only recycle plastic 'bottles' so rest just gets landfilled or sent on holiday to india

Those that remove rubbish, what does it cost you at the private tip? Is it based on weight? And how much does the extra licence/insurances cost you?

Those that remove rubbish, what does it cost you at the private tip? Is it based on weight? And how much does the extra licence/insurances cost you?
I have the waste carrier license at a cost of £150 ish for three years, and the private tips I tried went by weight but when you worked out your time, fuel etc it was more expensive than a skip.

Does your van insurance cover you for transporting waste that was not purchased by you? Ie. rubbish that's from materials brought by the customer on a labour only job? I'm not sure mine would?

Luckily I work for a building company so we always have skips on the go to dump rubbish

tbh i remove all my waste, when i have a boiler job the copper and brass is kept rads and boilers i call the scrap men, the cardboard i save and take to a company that take it for free for recycling, and plastics get put in my home bin then excess rubbish either saved or green bin/ burned, found a new company that takes wood eg doors flooring etc again for free. big jobs like bathrooms customer is charge for the skip and any other rubbish left over gets binned, tho i charge for the skip some have refused at there own so the skip needs to go to mine then there charged extra

Some of the replies have quite surprised me on this thread. I'm totally with Ray and the other like minded people with regard that any trade waste, which includes the packaging I would expect to be taken away by the trade that carried out the work. I think customer perception and further recommendation would be a key factor in this. Appreciate that some may state on the quote that they don't take away, but it seems like ducking a responsibility. Regarding giving a scrap man a ring to take it away, I unfortunatley live in an area that is prone to fly tipping, that is typical of the sort of waste we are talking about. No you wont find metals or valuables in any of that and it's clearly the same groups that are doing it by the repeat type of waste that appears. Would you still take the same approach if this was happening close to your home ?? Not trying to be inflamatory but sometimes there are consequences further down the line that you might not be considering. Another thought, how would you feel if a sparks left your property and left clipping of cable and sheathing, junction box knockouts, empty carboard boxes etc at your home, or maybe the window fitters left the old window frames and doors for you to dispose off. Would you then give them a recommendation to others, You might if the quality of the work was good, but then you might add that the only problem is you have to clear up after them. Probably not what you would want your customers saying about you.... Off to hide behind the couch now. :cheesy:

I have never seen a sparky that cleans up after themselves :) Re waste, I am of the opinion that you have bought the product so the new rad is yours along with the waste that comes with it, if you want any waste at all removing thats an extra to be paid for as written in all my estimates. All waste is left cut up and piled tidily for you to dispose of. I personally trained to repair and maintain things not remove rubbish, the council already has loads of people paid to do that and gives you nice big bins to put it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing rubbish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock