Currently reading:
Removing rubbish

Discuss Removing rubbish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldtimer

Hi people. Please be gentle with me. My lady friend came home from holiday, turned the heating on and a rad split.
Explained to her on the phone how to isolate it and told her to contact the plumber who had worked for her before.
She told him that she wanted him to replace the split rad, plus four more which were the same age.
He gave her a price for the rads, plus trv's plus labour which she agreed to. When she got home from work, he had replaced the rads, taken the old rads and copper away, and left her to dispose of all the packaging etc.
Now I realise there is no scrap value in the packaging, but to pay out the best part of £900 and then have to load your car with cardboard etc and dispose of it, is a bit much.
Just wondered if this is normal practice.

I don't understand how you get rid of it if you take it away though?

Obviously a bigger firm with a commercial unit can have a skip outside, but I work out of my house, my bins are the same size as everyone else's and I can't have countless other peoples rubbish in them. Especially now they only get collected every 2 weeks

For us more than half the time we have skip at one of our jobs so when we take rubbish from one site we are putting it in the skip at another job.
If not then we have two options - take it to commercial waste disposal. In our area that is not out of the way.
Or quite often we pay licenced waste carriers to collect it - often from outside my house.

In fact this is why I resent the £150 waste carriers licence because we are always passing it on to another business who also have waste carriers licence.
None of the business waste gets put with our household waste - not even cardboard packaging - as we have too much of it. We are a small business too but just a little bigger than a sole trader.

There are legit licenced waste collectors (man in van) who do drive around and pick up plumbers waste from many plumbers in our area - sure it happens in all towns. Get to know them and just text them your job details, it can be cheaper than a skip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing rubbish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back