Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Removing rubbish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luckily I work for a building company so we always have skips on the go to dump rubbish

tbh i remove all my waste, when i have a boiler job the copper and brass is kept rads and boilers i call the scrap men, the cardboard i save and take to a company that take it for free for recycling, and plastics get put in my home bin then excess rubbish either saved or green bin/ burned, found a new company that takes wood eg doors flooring etc again for free. big jobs like bathrooms customer is charge for the skip and any other rubbish left over gets binned, tho i charge for the skip some have refused at there own so the skip needs to go to mine then there charged extra

Some of the replies have quite surprised me on this thread. I'm totally with Ray and the other like minded people with regard that any trade waste, which includes the packaging I would expect to be taken away by the trade that carried out the work. I think customer perception and further recommendation would be a key factor in this. Appreciate that some may state on the quote that they don't take away, but it seems like ducking a responsibility. Regarding giving a scrap man a ring to take it away, I unfortunatley live in an area that is prone to fly tipping, that is typical of the sort of waste we are talking about. No you wont find metals or valuables in any of that and it's clearly the same groups that are doing it by the repeat type of waste that appears. Would you still take the same approach if this was happening close to your home ?? Not trying to be inflamatory but sometimes there are consequences further down the line that you might not be considering. Another thought, how would you feel if a sparks left your property and left clipping of cable and sheathing, junction box knockouts, empty carboard boxes etc at your home, or maybe the window fitters left the old window frames and doors for you to dispose off. Would you then give them a recommendation to others, You might if the quality of the work was good, but then you might add that the only problem is you have to clear up after them. Probably not what you would want your customers saying about you.... Off to hide behind the couch now. :cheesy:

I have never seen a sparky that cleans up after themselves :) Re waste, I am of the opinion that you have bought the product so the new rad is yours along with the waste that comes with it, if you want any waste at all removing thats an extra to be paid for as written in all my estimates. All waste is left cut up and piled tidily for you to dispose of. I personally trained to repair and maintain things not remove rubbish, the council already has loads of people paid to do that and gives you nice big bins to put it in.

how would you feel if a sparks left your property and left clipping of cable and sheathing, junction box knockouts, empty carboard boxes etc at your home

I have never seen a spark tidy up after themselves. Im not entirely sure if they know how to use a hoover :grin:

I think it makes you look neater if you take it away. The customer would be happier as well. Surely you add the cost of disposing it to the bill.

Does your van insurance cover you for transporting waste that was not purchased by you? Ie. rubbish that's from materials brought by the customer on a labour only job? I'm not sure mine would?

Why would you ever tell them, how would they find out unless you volunteered the information. My van is insured for carriage of own goods, so just take ownership of the rubbish

Regardless if you take the rubbish or not the OP and many other custs would highly likely find something else to moan about. Unfortunately that's what everyone does forget the good bits let's moan about the ikle bits

I agree with IDCHAPPY. Take it all. It's amazing how people's minds work. Ye could have done a champion job, but all they'll remember is the rubbish left and there goes any recommendations. Clean up one house, keep the lady happy and you'll clean up on the whole street.

Il put it all in bin bags on a private job, and leave it for the cust to dispose of, they bought the materials the rubbish belongs to them. Taking rubbish is a giant pain in the posterior one of the contracts I work on insist we take it all away, three boiler boxes of rubbish in the back of my trafic and with the rest of the gear I carry round its full. Ive been tempted to set all the cardboard alight in the garden, but im sure the council nazis would have something to say about that.

You can burn your rubbish in your garden as long as your not near a busy road and your constantly doing fire

Next warm air you strip remove fan and capacitors. Fabricate a gasification boiler. Burn your rubbish with no smoke and heat your garage, DHW or just the garden

Fairly surprised by some of the replies on this thread, as i work for someone it's no skin off my nose to take all rubbish which gets put in the bins back at the yard but I always thought it was standard practice to clear everything away after yourself on a job anyway.

I suppose if you are self employed and getting rid of waste is another thing to take your time up then I can see why some guys are happy to leave it to the customer to clear away.

As already mentioned though if I had someone do work at mine, windows, carpets or what ever and left rubbish behind I would not be impressed, even with a good job I would just think it looks a bit unprofessional and lazy. I wouldn't kick up a fuss about it because i'm not petty and would still use them again but would tell them to take the rubbish next time.

Back to the original post the fact that the plumber was happy to take the rads then he could have taken the packaging too.

I would always take rubbish as last impressions are just as important as first impressions. Could do an excellent, neat job but then leave a bad taste in the customers mouth by leaving mess behind. It would take the shine off a job well done.

If guys have it as part of their quote or just agree with customer that they are not taking rubbish then fair enough, that's for the customer to accept.

Just over a year ago I had a job to go and fit a couple of radiators, did the job, cleared away tools, then went to check system pressure and make sure everything was getting hot. All sorted and I left but I forgot to take the rubbish. I didn't remember until I got home that night and it was my first proper employment in the trade and I started flapping so I called the customer and said sorry and said I could come back and get it. She was fine about it and said don't worry. She was decent about it but I could imagine some people phoning the office and complaining and I hadn't been there long. It's just not worth giving a customer a reason to complain.

I will normally take all rubbish away with me, I'm lucky enough to be able to burn anything that will go on a bonfire. Around my area the bin-men are also very accommodating, on more than one occasion I've left more than a few bags of rubble from a bathroom re-fit that they've taken without any hassle. If the customer is at home I take it back to mine to leave out for them.

if its a mate i leave it for them, if its a proper customer i will take it away.

its not mine so you can keep it,

i know some will do the dishes and make the beds too, but not me!

comes with the price(minus skip cost)

I tale rubbish away unless it's a small amount and will go in the customer's bin / recycling without over filling it. I can get rid of card for free to a recycler in town and the plastic protectors go in the plastic recycling. Wood goes in my stove.

Rubbish under the floorboards is one of my pet hates (as well as being a fire hazard) and I always vacuum under there before replacing boards. I did once have a good find - loads of cigarette packets from 100 years ago and a couple of beer bottles with original labels. I put them on ebay and did quite well.

Last edited:
Written in the contract all rubbish is left on site, (agreed location beforehand) in manageable rubble bags or flat packed tied up cardboard. If they pay for skip will gladly put it straight into that for them. My van is for me, my lunch and tools not gash. My life is a lot happier and easier since adopted the approach

I normally take all the rubbish with me unless there's a skip on the job, put it in a big box trailer I've got and take it to a tip when full normally a month or 6 weeks to fill it, burn any card etc tho!
takes a morning or so to do a tip run tho.

I don't take my rubbish away. I have no way to dispose of it so it stays on the job. If I could take it to the tip, I would. Simple.

I explain this to customer beforehand, if there's a lot of rubbish (bathroom) they order a skip or do multiple tip runs in their own vehicles, if it's just a boiler and rads, chances are it can be moved in one run to the tip or fit in the bin without too much nuisance.

I didn't spend 26k on a car to fill it full of other peoples shyte cos the council won't let me use the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
We take all rubbish or arrange for it to be removed from site.
But I can understand totally the reasons given by some for not taking it - it seems the important thing is to communicate with customer before hand so they know what to expect.

We are going to be more expensive but that cost covers waste removal. Not removing waste makes sense if you need to keep prices low. We don't compete in the budget plumbing market.

I don't understand how you get rid of it if you take it away though?

Obviously a bigger firm with a commercial unit can have a skip outside, but I work out of my house, my bins are the same size as everyone else's and I can't have countless other peoples rubbish in them. Especially now they only get collected every 2 weeks

For us more than half the time we have skip at one of our jobs so when we take rubbish from one site we are putting it in the skip at another job.
If not then we have two options - take it to commercial waste disposal. In our area that is not out of the way.
Or quite often we pay licenced waste carriers to collect it - often from outside my house.

In fact this is why I resent the £150 waste carriers licence because we are always passing it on to another business who also have waste carriers licence.
None of the business waste gets put with our household waste - not even cardboard packaging - as we have too much of it. We are a small business too but just a little bigger than a sole trader.

There are legit licenced waste collectors (man in van) who do drive around and pick up plumbers waste from many plumbers in our area - sure it happens in all towns. Get to know them and just text them your job details, it can be cheaper than a skip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing rubbish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock