Search the forum,

Discuss Reconnecting fire after being capped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bhoydavid

Family member several years ago had a back boiler upgraded to a combi. Fire and bbu still in situ and they've recently asked if I could reconnect the fire for them.

Is it just a case of reconnecting the gas supply and capping gas to the multi gas valve of boiler? Obviously after making sure the flue flow test is ok etc.

Or am I missing something?

There have been other threads regarding this, I think 1) MI's have to say it's ok to do, 2) drill back boiler casing, 3) flue etc, in fact I think it became more trouble than it was worth.

probably all gone rotten by now, just pull the lot out and stick in a nice leccie fire

I believe you have to cap gas to boiler and label boiler as decommissioned. There are some regs on decommissioning part of combined appliance.

baxi will send you a letter if you ask them about doing this, basically it states they dont like you doing it, but if you you do, what to look for and be it on your own head.

As above.
They are effectively two appliances designed to use the same chimney/flue.
As long as the back boiler has been disconnected gas/plumbing & electrically wise and fully drained down there should be no probs.
Obviously you will need to ensure that the fire front connection through the old BBU to the flue is correct and that it passes all the relevant checks for operation through the full range of settings & check for spillage/room co etc.
The best way forward as mentioned by someone else would be to rip out the old defunct BBU and the fire front and fit a nice new electric flame effect fire. no worries long term then,
Cheers,
Andy

You can do it, but need to cap the gas going to the bbu and have to leave everything in situ. You see a lot of people have removed the bbu burner/gas valve, but baxi say this is not allowed and is classed as at risk

I once found an old back boiler unit with the fire removed in a hallway once, opposite way round to what the op suggested but anything goes

Refer to TB091 for some info.
Baxi used to allow it some years ago as long as was done properly.
I heard some time ago they were no longer condoning it.
Best advice is to remove completely and fit new fire.

I just wouldn't do it, doesn't sit right with me, ok in theory you can make it safe, but is it worth putting your name to something like that? Not worth the few quid you will get for it

I once had a GF fitted in my house without a boiler.
What a naughty naughty boy i am and so lucky to be alive lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Reconnecting fire after being capped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has developed a 'fault' recently. When I switch the heating on, the fire in boiler starts for a second or two and then goes off. After another few seconds it starts again and then stays on. This happens around 8 out of 10 times. I had engineer having a...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't compatible with the new universal one, but the wiring was pretty close AFAICT (N, L, 1, 3 & 4 connected) .When I first powered it up but didn't have any TRVs...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the central heating but not for hot water and sometimes the other way round, so it's probably just luck as to when it does decide to work[?]. When there's...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock