Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Question on venting gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Help4me

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry I've posted this in here, but the gas one is for the safety registry.

But, I hope someone can answer me please. We have gas back boiler with gas fire and an outside vent. When the gas man came, he told me the vent wasn't for the fire as it is under 7kw, but it was for the boiler which is around 13kw.
So, my question is if we don't need it for the fire, do we need it just for the pilot light when nothing else is on?

Help4me

The back boiler/fire is a combined unit and as such requires a certain amount of ventilation to operate safely. If a back boiler is installed you MUST have a vent to feed the required oxygen when all room doors or windows closed.

It is for the fire AND the boiler. It's purpose is to provide combustion air. It is there for your safety. Do not cover, close or tamper with it.

As Tamz says it is for the safe operation of the gas fire and boiler DO NOT COVER OR BLOCK

If I find out that youve blocked the vent up with selotape ,then there will be trouble.

To tamz and GrahamM.

I don't know if you read my post properly, but I didn't ask about or even imply that I didn't need the vent for the boiler. Of course I do. Neither did I imply that I was going to block it up. The actual question I asked, that you didn't mention or answer, was do you need the vent for just the pilot light.

Theoretically you don't need ventilation for a pilot light,or a candle for that matter. You do need it for the appliance that the pilot is a part of.

You are not allowed to have closable vents,so all ventilation must be permanently open,and allow for the maximum output of all gas appliances in that room.

Last edited by a moderator:
the ventilation is for the safe operation of the appliance that includes everything on it

To tamz and GrahamM.

I don't know if you read my post properly, but I didn't ask about or even imply that I didn't need the vent for the boiler. Of course I do. Neither did I imply that I was going to block it up. The actual question I asked, that you didn't mention or answer, was do you need the vent for just the pilot light.

If you had read the first sentence of my answer you were told why it needs one. Not for the pilot light, not for the boiler, not for the fire but for THE FIRE AND BOILER. It is a combined unit. Your gas engineer told you wrong information.

dont tamper with the vent if you value your life its asking for trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Question on venting gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has...
Replies
Views
A
Previously had a WB Greenstar R28 HE System boiler with 4 pipes and vented (gravity fed) cylinder. No valves or pumps outside of the boiler...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
A
Hello, I have a question. Is it safe to use a light fixture that had water comming through it? There was a water leak comming from a light fixture...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock