Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Water leaking from light fixture. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

A

AnaMaria#

Hello,
I have a question. Is it safe to use a light fixture that had water comming through it? There was a water leak comming from a light fixture in my living room around a week ago. The amount of water that came out was about 300-400ml. It wasn't much because i turned off the water in shower room that was in use. I'm almost 100% sure the shower is the cause. Exactly the same thing happened at the end of 2019 (the same light fixture). The same contractor came in, both times, and decided that the sealant was the problem. Both times he turned on the water and no leakage happened so he determined that the problem is fixed (or I had imagined it) - I do have video evidence of the water leaking. Both times he didn't check the lamp condition and told me it's safe to use it when it dries. Is it correct, because I'm a bit concerned it may cause some problems. The first time (in 2019) I started using it after about a week and nothing happened. I'm sorry for such a long post.

Honestly, it’s likely ok but I can’t give that advise on here. I would pull the light fixture and check the connections etc. As it’s the second time, you don’t know what state what you can’t see could be in.

The right thing to do in these circumstances is to get a qualified electrician to check the wiring before re-energising the affected circuit(s). They'll perform a visual inspection and then the standard electrical safety checks (insulation resistance, etc.) If your circuits are not protected by RCBO's you should discuss having them fitted with the electrician.

I work in social housing and have seen a fair share of leaks through light fittings, and still do. Our electricians usually inspect the extent of the water, but often results in the fitting being removed and reconnected once it’s dry. If the water has had nowhere to escape after a week, then moisture could form on the conductors and arc. You might be best getting an electrician in as per @Chuck and at the minimum as per @Timmy D - remove the fitting (often threaded type) and visually inspect the amount of water. Sorry the the long reply, just wanted to provide as much information as possible. In answer to the question, it is “safe” to use once it’s been confirmed there’s no water ingress/moisture on the electrics and dry by a competent person.

Reply to Water leaking from light fixture. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock