Search the forum,

Discuss putting tank in loft!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

I need to put tank in loft!! in my own home, I want to raise it for better pressure, loads of space in loft so want to raise it fairly high, whats the best way to make platform? not a big tank, but obviously don't want it to fall!!

So belts and braces to hold it up!!

1 bar of pressure for every 10 metres. You maybe able to raise it a couple of metres depending how high your loft space is so a possible increase of 0.1 bar for every metre increase in height. Could be wrong as doing this off the top of my head mate

so pointless!!
might just put it in loft then as need space in airing cupboard!!

whats CLS?

Canadian lumber standard. Used mostly for studs/first fix doesn't split as easily and nice to handle.

As mentioned 25mm marine ply deck. And CLS carcass from joists to trusses all four corners and counter batten against the joists to spread the load, build an internal platform inside that cross braced. Jobs a goodun!

Last edited:
Canadian lumber standard. Used mostly for studs/first fix doesn't split as easily and nice to handle.

As mentioned 25mm marine ply deck. And CLS carcass from joists to trusses all four corners and counter batten against the joists to spread the load, build an internal platform inside that cross braced. Jobs a goodun!

Brilliant, thanks, didn't even think about trusses!! brilliant!!

I meant to put rafters actually. If you have trusses tho all the better!

it's true that raising tank upon a time and money consumingly large constructed platform increases output at taps by a tiny degree, so why was it such a common practise?

The op is a little unclear, I think it's a combined cyl and feed tank. He needs the space, put it in the loft. We needed more water compared to back in the day, larger cwsc, house prices more expensive, space a premium etc. there could be a really hood historical reason good knows what it is, I'm just speculating

But what is the worthwhile reason for raising it once in the loft? Tiny, barely noticeable increase in output at tap. And all it took was spending the time and effort constructing a platform.

I think we have our wires crossed mate, that's why my first pointed out there's going to be hardly any increase in pressure for a lot of work. I don't think the op realised this

Lol most probably there were a lot of plumbers that needed the work, maybe one of the ye olde Skool can shed some light

Its yer own house so wgaf. Pull a couple of bits off the fence and fix it by pulling another bit off bwhen the wife complains the rse is going to fall out of it lol

As for why would you do it. If any of you have ever lived in a house with a gravity fed shower you would appreciate every foot matters. It doesn't matter a fuvk with the taps.
Personally i'd throw the tank in the bin and fit an unvented or a combi is cheaper to run.
No need to go around like the cobblers bairns.

As for why would you do it. If any of you have ever lived in a house with a gravity fed shower you would appreciate every foot matters. It doesn't matter a fuvk with the taps.
Personally i'd throw the tank in the bin and fit an unvented or a combi is cheaper to run.
No need to go around like the cobblers bairns.

So basically a tank raised in a loft is only ever there to turn a really rubbish shower into a vaguely alright shower?

It's the way you sell it to them
it will be like standing underneath a Balinese waterfall

1 bar of pressure for every 10 metres. You maybe able to raise it a couple of metres depending how high your loft space is so a possible increase of 0.1 bar for every metre increase in height. Could be wrong as doing this off the top of my head mate

You're not wrong

I seem to do this when a fortic and CWS are in the loft together feeding a pump and the hot ends up back feeding the cold through the shower valve. Some people just done get water levels and seem to think it'll be OK.

If it's an elson type
4502e7699da000d9446f107fed72e7ec.jpg
f5900d5b8ab958475188fc19e6a42de3.jpg

Yes mild difference. If cylinder just lift headder tank and Decaale flanges

I have power shower so not needed for shower
kitchen hot basin hot and cold and bath hot and cold all really slow, (liveable)
toilet is slow to fill!! Needs sorting!!

So from what has been said it is pointless putting in loft as won't increase much!!
But I will be doing this anyway just to get rid of tank from airing cupboard!!
then the only issue is toilet!! So may put all colds on mains to increase pressure to cold on bath and basin!! Or just connect toilet to mains!!

Obviously power shower on tank and hot cylinder!!

Thanks for your help guys!!

going from 0.1bar to 0.5bar is a 5x increase

But for the time and effort to raise it I would vote a pump, whole house jobby, or redirect cold feeds to come from mains and shower pump

If you're taking it out of the airing cupboard for space then its not too much more effort to raise it when you site it in the loft

Sounds like you've got the wrong taps for the system!

Didn't really want to go into this much detail, but your right, old taps, limescaled like mad!!!
old steel pipe probably lime scaled like mad!!
but all under bath, so hard to get out!!

i disagree i moved my tank up about 6 ft and it made a lot of differencethis was years ago and ive gone to mains fed now which is obviously great but if your stuck with gravity it will be the difference between unusable and usable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to putting tank in loft!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock