Search the forum,

Discuss ptfe tape in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

franz

can anyone tell me the difference between normal ptfe tape and gas ptfe tape please?

so its the same stuff.? not wanting to be thick! but what difference does it make?

one is thicker and designed for gas and the other is designed for water and thiner is my uptake

They are the same material, i.e., both "100% pure, virgin PTFE and containing less than 0.1% wt residual lubricant".

The only difference is the thickness, 0.20 and 0.075mm.

Are they not essentially different products manufactured to different standards?
The yellow gas tape MUST be used for gas.

normal ptfe only for use with water as it deterates over time and will leak were a gas yellow stuff is guarenteed for a minimum of 5 yrs and does not deterate with gas

normal ptfe only for use with water as it deterates over time and will leak were a gas yellow stuff is guarenteed for a minimum of 5 yrs and does not deterate with gas

Really? What's your source for this? I only ask as I've been trying to find out for ages what the difference is ... so far the only answer has been "yellow is for gas"! Not helpful!

Edit: Especially the five year part. What's the point in saying a gas fitting will only be gas-tight for 5 years?? If it's not going to last 50 years, it might as well only last six months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? What's your source for this? I only ask as I've been trying to find out for ages what the difference is ... so far the only answer has been "yellow is for gas"! Not helpful!

Edit: Especially the five year part. What's the point in saying a gas fitting will only be gas-tight for 5 years?? If it's not going to last 50 years, it might as well only last six months.

worked at city plumbing for 4 yrs about 5 or 6 yrs ago used to chat to the reps from the manafactures was chatting to one from hayes one day

dont no how anything can have a lifetime guarentee as nothings proved unless its on for 50 yrs as you say so think they can only guarentee it for 5 yrs

Last edited by a moderator:
They are the same material, i.e., both "100% pure, virgin PTFE and containing less than 0.1% wt residual lubricant".

The only difference is the thickness, 0.20 and 0.075mm.
i think your right when you say the only difference is the thickness. the gas stuff is thicker because it's one wrap. if you where to use the thinner stuff for gas, there's the question of how many times do you wrap it. the thicker tape takes away this question.

Gas (methane) molecules are a lot smaller than water (h2o) and can pass through water PTFE tape as its so thin. Thats why gas PTFE is thicker. So I was told by someone...

i think your right when you say the only difference is the thickness. the gas stuff is thicker because it's one wrap. if you where to use the thinner stuff for gas, there's the question of how many times do you wrap it. the thicker tape takes away this question.

THATS RIGHT JOHN! thats the only dif and the reason its thicker to stop MR scrouge plumber from putting a skinny rap on.

Unbelievable but true, these safety boffins sit on there fat erses thinking of anything to justify there jobs. It's as if they don't trust us to put enough tape on & test it afterwards for soundness.

Gas tape (one wrap) is higher grade PTFE made to BS6974. It is denser and more durable than standard grade PTFE.
There is no guarantee of lifespan for the material, but as gas tape is a denser it is more durable.
Standard PTFE is made to a lower standard.

Hard to believe normal ptfe tape deteriorates over time, as it goes back a long time - must be in use 40 years & always seems as new, with no leaks if done right on water pipes. Maybe nobody wants to guarantee anything used for gas, too many years?

theres plenty of gas fittings out there with the thin stuff i dont think the thick stuff was available originally

Hard to believe normal ptfe tape deteriorates over time, as it goes back a long time - must be in use 40 years & always seems as new, with no leaks if done right on water pipes. Maybe nobody wants to guarantee anything used for gas, too many years?

it doesn,t with water only if used with gas ,something in the gas, think its something to do with the stuff they put it to make it smell,remember the bloke saying something it was a while ago tho

theres plenty of gas fittings out there with the thin stuff i dont think the thick stuff was available originally

About 18 years ago I had a bloke on site that was told not to use it, just come out his gas, He sent all day on a gas hob trying to stop it leaking with paste, would not be told, phoned the gas hob makes up they told him put it on, phoned college, well had this before arrrr i will ask so and so, so and so arrr i will ask............ One bloke at college once gave me a answer i was stuck on and the other marked it wrong? of they went to the back room! training is better now, Common sense, experience with training is a must i think

this is what i think is correct :]

gas ptfe tape and normall ptfe tape are made from the same material, the difference is the thickness. The reason why the gas ptfe tape is thicker/a specific thickness because its designed to suit the gap between bs threads on gas fittings. im not sure but i believe it was first the idea of british gas/Advantica who originally came up with the standards of gas threads on the likes of cooker hoses etc....

the idea was to have a tape that gave the correct amount of tape to seal the designed thread, so in theroy if all threads are designed to this specific standards then you cant go wrong. This may be why some manufactures still advertise there cooker hoses and fittings as being BG/ Advantica approved.

as we all know nothing ever seems to be standard today.

Last edited:
As AW says the design specifications talk about type of material/ thickness/ purity etc and the fact that Gas tape should conform to more conditions and tests before being approved for use, than normal PTFE.

Apparently Gas tape is manufactured to and conforms with, BGC IM 16, BS 6974: 1989, BS 5292 Type C tests, BS 7786: 1995 grade H

whereas normal PTFE only has to conform with BS 7786 Grade L

Not sure if that helps or complicates

loctite 54 seals all and is better , imo
besides thick or thin ptfe i still put nice smear of gas paste on it :)

That sounds like belt and braces to me. You dont have to put gas paste on loctite , You may if anything make the joint fail sooner if the loctite is affected by gas paste. I know it is highly unlikely but you never know :confused5:

Opps I forget which one I have .i think it was loctite 55 which I hope can be uesd on water and gas

Cheers Wheeto Panic there for a second lol
i am sure at some point I have used the normal ptfe by accident on gas still havnt had a call back yet

was in jtf other day and they had the yellow gas ptfe and normal for 35p plus vat couldnt believe it they had loads !! like you say redsaw they charge a fortune for this

Anything that is to do with gas they appear to charge extra , I suppose they say it is better quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ptfe tape in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm blanking a couple of openings in a hot water cylinder. The Screwfix Flomasta 1" BSP plugs fit perfectly but no washer supplied or listed. Given that the element has a washer and everything else is a compression fitting I'm concerned these should have one. The alternative is PTFE...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems to be slightly smaller than 22 mm compression fitting and when I tighten the compression nut the whole fitting is easily sliding off the pipe and...
Replies
Views
Hi all I often find using ptfe tape with compression joints quite fiddly for my old hands, particularly in tight spaces. I was wondering if the ptfe liquid paste is a viable alternative? Does anyone on here prefer it? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally after they left I started experiencing yellow water (pale) from all my taps - hot and cold, including the toilet. This was intermittent and then...
Replies
Views
In short: Do suppliers sometimes list BSPT as BSP? I need a tee, 22mm each end with a BSPT in the middle for an expansion vessel to dangle from. Why I think its I've used calipers on the threads and counted them, and the male end sticking out of the vessel is BSPT 3/4 with 14 threads per inch...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock