Search the forum,

Discuss Problems with grundfos boiler pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smiley

[FONT=&quot]Hi all,

I'm having problems with my central heating boiler pump (Grundfos UPS 15-50x18). Sometimes it will run when the boiler fires up but stops after a few minutes even though the boiler is still lit (ie no overrun). The run time varies from 1-2mins to 11mins. Sometimes it won't run at all. When I removed the vent plug the pump shaft is free and small drips of water are clear. I've checked the voltage at the PCB and pump terminals and get 248V. Can't see any visual problems with the capacitor (no leaking or bulging) - don't have capacitance setting on my multimeter. Could this problem be the capacitor or something inside the pump?

Thanks in advance for any help. [/FONT]

Capacitor.

To check it, take the vent plug out and see how hard it is to stop the shaft with a screwdriver when the pump is running. If its easy, then its the capacitor - most of the time

Boiler is a Potterton Suprima 50L and a Gledhill Boilermate 2000 thermal store - where the boiler pump is located.
Now the pump won't start/run at all despite having 250V at the terminals so unfortunately can't "see how hard it is to stop the shaft with a screwdriver while running" test. What other tests/checks can I do?

Capacitor.

To check it, take the vent plug out and see how hard it is to stop the shaft with a screwdriver when the pump is running. If its easy, then its the capacitor - most of the time

I thought the capacitor just jumped started the pump

Who said its inside the boiler?

*problem with grunfoss Boiler pump
*I've checked the voltage at the PCB and pump terminals and get 248V.

Just makes it slightly sound like it could be in the boiler, with the strict rules this forum seems to have about people working on gas or in boilers...

It might no be but just looks like it could be in the boiler to me

Yeah maybe, but a lot of boilers feed the pumps power supply now too

Just replace pump with old style grundfos. Plenty around from systems made redundant by combi installs. Pump will probably outlast your boilermate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problems with grundfos boiler pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help, please? I'm looking for a heating system circulation pump for a domestic install, with 3 speeds, where the speed can be toggled...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock