Search the forum,

Discuss Problem with Swirl High Neck Monobloc Mixer Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trackystemon

I recently bought the tap from Screwfix which I got a plumber to fit. Initially it dripped so I got the plumber back - we never understood why it dripped but it is ok after he fitted new washers. The next thing that happened was that the cold tap unscrewed causing water to gush out. By 'unscrewed' I mean the handle and spindle with a screw thread (but no washer) at the end came out of its hole. I screwed it back in again but it happened again. I think my wife was turning it off too tightly because the surplus water dripping out of the high neck annoyed her, but she has weak wrists so couldn't have put great force on it.

I cannot keep calling the plumber out because I bought the tap so it is my responsibility to sort it out. Does it sound like a faulty tap or do they do that if turned off tightly?

I hate the tap actually, the hot water squirts out in such a fine fast jet that if it hits anything it showers the user with water - is there anything that can be done about that does anybody know?

Peter

If it were me I would contact screwfix, take it back as faulty and fit an alternative as you obviously don't like it. Perhaps your plumber of local supplier could suggest a better choice. Just a thought,

Thank you but I want to avoid having to pay again for fitting. I thought Swirl might compensate me but I couldn't find their phone number. I doubt if Screwfix would compensate me.

Peter

Your contract is with screwfix. If it doesn't work properly take it back. They will return it to swirl. If you doan't like it though. Speak to scewfix on the phone. Tell them it's faulty and you want to bring it back for a refund; but find an alternative that you might like. Would you fit a replacement yourself or would you have a plumber do it? If the latter then you could return it after the new one replaces it. If you contact Swirl they will probably want it returning before they replace/refund. Also you have no contract with them and they are likely to want to replace instead of refund. You don't want to be without a tap for a week.

Think about it. Don't know the costs. You paid Screwfix £150 (say) - they paid Swirl £100 (say). Swirl would only refund £100 if at all, or replace out of good will (or guarantee ?)

If there to much pressure if your plumber has put on ballofix just reduce the flow from there

Thank you for all your suggestions and help. My original post was to try and find out if anybody had come across this fault before (whether it was fixable), or knew why the hot water came out so fast. The last reply hit the nail on the head - there is too much pressure, combined with a possibly faulty tap. That explains why the bathroom tap had to be replaced recently and why the cistern inlet is permanently hissing. But I still think the tap, which I understand is a good brand, should have withstood the pressure. It is described as a Premium High Neck Monobloc Mixer Tap and has very good reviews. Nothing in the description about the pressure it is guaranteed to withstand though - my pressure was measured today by the plumber at about 9. I will contact Screwfix tomorrow. Apparently Swirl is a Screwfix brand. And no it isn't a lever tap.
Thanks again.
Peter

If pressure is around 9 bar then I'd fit a pressure reducing valve as high water pressure causes all sorts of problems all round the house. Costs around £40 for the part and can be fitted in around 15 minutes. A much better pressure is 2-3 bar - you rarely need any more than this.

Yes that sounds like a good idea, getting a pressure reducing valve fitted, I'll have it done. Thank you.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problem with Swirl High Neck Monobloc Mixer Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock