Search the forum,

Discuss Pricing jobs plus VAT in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmonster

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
When I get quotes for work to be done, nothing irritates me more than tradesmen saying something like "£80 plus vat". I'd rather be told the job will cost £100. I've even turned down jobs for this reason. just wondering if majority of customers are turds like me and whether or not you mention "plus vat" when quoting.

It depends if your vat registered and weather u deal with custards or buisnessesssesssess

Ermintrude, what I'm asking is, even if you are vat registered, why not just give the price bearing in mind the VAT but only giving the customer that 1 ballpark figure.

If you just say £100, people think you are ripping them off.

If you say £80 plus VAT, they see what you are actually charging and the fact the government are ripping them off.

I tend to say £100 including VAT. It gives a clear price and the fact that 20% will be wasted on lazy public sector staff!

Well, he could say £100 including vat, but that's not how he priced the job is it?

£80 plus vat means what it says. The guy is charging 80 quid for his work plus the government uplift which he has no control over. Some other non vat registered guy may say £90 and makes a tenner more for the same work but it is your choice. A tenner more or a tenner less. It works 2 ways depending on the work the individual is doing. If you are doing work for non vat registered companies nor individuals, you are more expensive. If the company is vat registered you are cheaper because they claim the vat back. Don't blame the guy because he runs a business that turns over 80 odd grand (not hard to do on a 25k wage) blame the system or think out the box and negotiate without receipts. Btw who let you in the "PLUMBERS ARMS" when you are obviously NOT A PLUMBER or even sh agged one????? Answers on a postcard please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tamz..
Thank you for an answer to a question not related to what I asked. I kindly ask you to read the question but carefully this time. My teacher at the course center did always used to shout out "RTFQ!!!" I've no desire to shag a plumber unless she has some Z cup over the shoulder balder holders. Btw, who let you loose with a keyboard to only realise reading the questions correctly first time before answering doesn't make you feel a bit.... Errm.... "The computer says NO". answers not needed on a postcard.

I actually read original post again thinking maybe I am actually being a turd but it seems keyboard warriors do exist.

Thank you for clarifying that I'm not a plumber, I was wondering why I couldn't find a spanner amongst my server racks....

Last edited:
At the risk of being thought a maths-nazi, can I just gently point out that £80 plus VAT is £96, not £100.

To arrive at £100 inc VAT you have to start at £83.3333 (recurring) plus VAT.

</mathsnazi>

Just in case this gets read way in the future, when some far-sighted and honest government has abolished VAT, I would just like to explain to those readers of the future what VAT is. VAT is a tax on "adding value". Adding value means making something better than it was. And as any economist will tell you, if you tax an activity, you would expect to see less of it, since the tax acts as a disincentive. Chancellors only seem to remember this when talking about smoking. So VAT is one of the techniques that the Government uses to stop things getting any better. Clear now?

I always ask for my material price with vat does my head in when suppliers give you a quote and its not including vat

At the risk of being thought a maths-nazi, can I just gently point out that £80 plus VAT is £96, not £100.

To arrive at £100 inc VAT you have to start at £83.3333 (recurring) plus VAT.

</mathsnazi>

Just in case this gets read way in the future, when some far-sighted and honest government has abolished VAT, I would just like to explain to those readers of the future what VAT is. VAT is a tax on "adding value". Adding value means making something better than it was. And as any economist will tell you, if you tax an activity, you would expect to see less of it, since the tax acts as a disincentive. Chancellors only seem to remember this when talking about smoking. So VAT is one of the techniques that the Government uses to stop things getting any better. Clear now?

I thought someone would notice that lack of maths. I was being lazy. I wanted to feel like a civil servant for a minute.

Vat, abolished, you are dreaming ray! Every year taxes increase. The latest scheme is inventing new pretend licences to charge us such as waste transfer licences and 'stimulating the economy' to increase vat revenue with thing like MCS, CPA1, energy efficiency qualification.

If every company in the country has to do an extra course to stay legal and get an extra licence it add up to many millions of VAT etc for the government on pointless carp.

Tamz..
Thank you for an answer to a question not related to what I asked. I kindly ask you to read the question but carefully this time. My teacher at the course center did always used to shout out "RTFQ!!!" I've no desire to shag a plumber unless she has some Z cup over the shoulder balder holders. Btw, who let you loose with a keyboard to only realise reading the questions correctly first time before answering doesn't make you feel a bit.... Errm.... "The computer says NO". answers not needed on a postcard.

I actually read original post again thinking maybe I am actually being a turd but it seems keyboard warriors do exist.

Thank you for clarifying that I'm not a plumber, I was wondering why I couldn't find a spanner amongst my server racks....

Computer says no to you kid
And yep you do sound a turd

Tamz..

Poor attitude.

You come on here wanting guys to give you free advice and when they do you go on like this!

Note Tamz got many 'likes' for his efforts, where as yours got none.

You won't last long on here or in the trade bleating on like this.

My intention wasn't to come across with bad attitude and my sincere apologies if I've offended anyone, especially Tamz. Compared to everyone here, I have absolutely zero knowledge but when someone asks a question it's not nice to make you feel unwelcome.

My intention wasn't to come across with bad attitude and my sincere apologies if I've offended anyone, especially Tamz. Compared to everyone here, I have absolutely zero knowledge but when someone asks a question it's not nice to make you feel unwelcome.

Fair enough, but what's your trade? Training qualified or never going to be a plumber? I ask because this is a plumbers forum. And erm a supplier.

Fair enough, but what's your trade? Training qualified or never going to be a plumber?

If you look at his "threads started" you will see that he is in training atm.

Croppie let him into the Arms, as he was asking well intentioned questions on the public forum the answers to which were not suitable for public forum.

I ask because this is a plumbers forum. And erm a supplier.

I must invite you into the merchant's arms for a drink one day. :) Just as soon as Dan creates it.

If you look at his "threads started" you will see that he is in training atm.

Croppie let him into the Arms, as he was asking well intentioned questions on the public forum the answers to which were not suitable for public forum.

My bad.

I must invite you into the merchant's arms for a drink one day. :) Just as soon as Dan creates it.

Really, do you think they'd let me in?

In that case when Bassmonsters been in the trade a while and had to deal with customers and turnover he'll be able to answer his own question.

dont get why he's in the arms then didnt super plumb create issues not being a plumbs?

Leo21, I'm not in the plumbing trade but as pointed out I've been training to become gas qualified for the past year and a bit. My question wasn't relating to ins and outs about vat in itself but more about the psyche of customers when it comes to pricing out of curiosity.

Leo21, I'm not in the plumbing trade but as pointed out I've been training to become gas qualified for the past year and a bit. My question wasn't relating to ins and outs about vat in itself but more about the psyche of customers when it comes to pricing out of curiosity.

The thing is you don't have much choice when it comes to charging vat, imagine how fed up you become having to collect tax free of charge! Most on here see it from the other side, customers complaining like yourself about being charged vat and how it's charged. So it's a bit of a sore point, which is why in my opinion you got the sniffy replies.
When your in the position of having to charge vat and been on the receiving end you'll understand.

Sorry if i'm jumping on the bandwagon here, I have nothing against bassmonster personally, but I don't understand why the rules have been bent to allow him access to the arms.

When Ray was given access there was a thread created to gauge our feelings on the matter. Not because we had the deciding vote but because our participation in the forums makes it what it is.
We post things in here, safe in the knowledge it's among like minded people who face the same challeges and frustrations and I think the admin know it's important we feel comfortable doing it.

There are dozens of people who join these boards every week who are training in some capacity or other, most of them will amount to nothing, some that do will be wildly inexperienced and devalue the trade and a few amongst them will go on with humility and a hunger for self improvement and become good plumbers. Bassmonster hasn't even cleared the first and easiest hurdle yet.

Admin made an exception when Ray joined and it's been mutually beneficial. Ray must have heard every scam, complaint and trick in the trade in his time across the counter so we have no qualms about speaking candidly in front of him and he brings a lot of valuable information to the arms.

I understand Bassmonster is Billy's mate and he's vouched for him and i'm sure he is a nice lad. But I know a few good lads who would benefit from reading what's posted in here but I wouldn't advocate giving them access. They're not plumbers.

Surely not, there'd be a free coffee machine surely

Sure its "free". We wouldn't secretly add 10p to your account every time you used it. Would we? No, we wouldnt. We aren't like that. Are we? No, surely not... :)

I understand all the biscuits in the boxes appear on invoices Ray :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pricing jobs plus VAT in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock