Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton prima overheat problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have got an ongoing issue with a prima 60F. Before I looked at it, someone had replaced the boiler stat and the overheat stat and the system had been cleaned. The problem is it keeps tripping the overheat stat, but not all the time, maybe once every 2-3 days.
I found the inner flue was corroded through, so that got sorted and burner pressure and gas rate checked, all ok. Heat exchanger and burner cleaned. This seemed to solve the problem for about 6 months, then I got a call to say it was playing up again. I found the pump to be noisy so that was replaced and is now working fine. Again the boiler was ok for about 4-6 months.

It is now overheating again. The fan is a little noisy, but could the fan running a bit slow cause an over heat fault on these? All settings are ok, good circulation etc. I have never actually seen it overheat and trip the stat, but its normally right at the end of the night when its been running for a while as they say they don't notice the boiler go off and just notice that is doesn't fire in the morning and the overheat needs to be reset for it to fire.

Any suggestions on what to test or check next?

Is there a bypass valve/rad. ? If not maybe when house hot and trvs shutting down causing overheating issue ???

Yeah its an s plan system with an autobypass fitted.

New pump failing already or the bypass is not functioning causing it to overheat on shut down..?

Blocked cold feed?

The cold feed is clear, I checked that when I changed the pump. The pump seems ok, as that was my initial thought, all rads getting hot and good circulation. I will make sure the bypass is functioning correctly. How does the pump overrun stat work on these? and could this potentially be a problem?

I think they are set to overrun at above 80°c. Basically with a heat demand the overrun stat powers the pump via the switched live regardless of temperature. When heat demand satisfied the overrun stat will then power the pump via the permanent live if the boiler is above 80°c. That's my understanding if it makes sense.
Fire it up on hot water with the stat on max. When it gets up to temp switch hot water off and see if the pump overruns will tell if it's working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton prima overheat problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Following on from my question about monitoring F & R temperatures, I needed a measuring device because the overheat stat. frequently trips and then needs to be reset. It normally happens when the boiler has switched off and is no doubt due to the hot water rising to the top of the boiler, but I...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Pilot light extinction problem on an old Myson Economist has been traced to a faulty overheat limit stat. It's a Ranco LM5P8037 which is now obsolete. It's a 2A 30mv 110 degree stat with a coil inserted into a pocket on the flow outlet. Will any other Ranco limit stat with similar...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Have a peculiar problem with my Gloworm Flexicom 30cx combi boiler, the main heat exchanger is getting red hot and fault coding on overheat even though the boiler and central heating is not on, i shut the boiler down for a while, clear the fault code and it will be fine again for...
Replies
Views
Evening all. Can anyone help me with a bit of advice. We “inherited“ a Potterton Prima 60F boiler (which we were told in 2013 was 3/4 years old). It turns out after checking Serial number with Potterton that it was manufactured in 2003. Had it regularly serviced but a few weeks ago it failed...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock