Discuss Polypipe Overlay U.F.H. how to drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not confident my central heating was commisioned properly - there's no inhibitor in the system but rather than just add some sentinel x100 i thought i'd put x400 (sludge remover) through first. If i read the instructions right this will then need draining out and refill with fresh then add x100. Combi boiler with normal rads upstairs, one has a drainoff so ok with that part but downstairs is polypipe underfloor heating with the drainoff on the manifold above the pipework. Can anybody with experience of this system tell me how to drain down after the x400 has been added.
Cheers
Lee.

is it a new system or was the underfloor heating added,you would after draing as much as poss at ufmanifold,disconncet pipes at manifold
get suction pump on it

If its a combi then you have a means of putting in cold mains. Configure your valves to flush rather than drain .

is it a new system or was the underfloor heating added,you would after draing as much as poss at ufmanifold,disconncet pipes at manifold
get suction pump on it

When it was put in about 5 years ago most of the old pipework but not all was replaced.

If its a combi then you have a means of putting in cold mains. Configure your valves to flush rather than drain .

Ok is that as simple as open the drain off on the manifold and open the filling loop on the boiler until its all flushed through with fresh?

Not quite . Yo want the clean cold going through the circuits then to the drain you may have to shut certain valves to get this

I want to drain my UFH as the space will be unoccupied over winter and I don't want to risk the pipes freezing. How do you drain UFH? I can get a hose pipe from the manifold to a drain outside which is below the level of the UFH pipes, but I need some way of getting the flow started. Is there a way to apply air-pressure to the system to get it going?

(my UFH is embedded in concrete, 100mm spacing over an 80 m^2 floor area)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any rads on the system, or is it just UFH? Because without steel rads you won't be getting much (any) sludge, especially on a sealed system.

Last edited by a moderator:
It did have a radiator and an immersion tank connected at one point, but not for long and they have since been cut out of the loop. I assume you mention this as sludge is harder to move than water?

I'd be wary of hitting it with compressed air - too much chance of over pressurising.

If you start the drain down with the hose end well below the level of the UFH coil, it'll probably just siphon out and clear the UFH circuit.

It's outside my experience, but how about an anti-freeze inhibitor as an alternative to draining? Someone might be able to advise...

I want to drain my UFH as the space will be unoccupied over winter and I don't want to risk the pipes freezing. How do you drain UFH? I can get a hose pipe from the manifold to a drain outside which is below the level of the UFH pipes, but I need some way of getting the flow started. Is there a way to apply air-pressure to the system to get it going?

(my UFH is embedded in concrete, 100mm spacing over an 80 m^2 floor area)

Uponor reccomened either a wet vac or compressed air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Polypipe Overlay U.F.H. how to drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock