Discuss Plumbing pictures in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rickster123

Has anyone else seen the new set of pics on the forum page? A new cloakroom install I THINK! My god. I'm not being harsh but that basin waste?! The copper to the wc?! Surely blooming not. I'm bait shocked that someone would put the pics up with pride. :shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bait! A bit. Blooming ipad

It's one of his first jobs

I bet when you first slept with a girl you didn't give her pleasure. Give him a chance!

whatever the opinions are of the picture posters work its not very nice posting it where everyone can see it,what if said poster joins the arms?

Oh come on. Let's say it was your house and you came home to find that? If he's not told its rough the next one will be the same.

Oh come on. Let's say it was your house and you came home to find that? If he's not told its rough the next one will be the same.

What makes you so perfect then?

Never said I was perfect but I know rough when I see it.

you could have pm,ed the poster and said something like,look mate the bog in your picture is out of plumb and the plumbing looks odd,next time why not try doing it like this,and using shims to get it plumb

So you two have never made a negative comment about anyone's work or comments on here? Do me a favour!

Yes. Many times. But I would happily post it on the thread where they can see it or send it to them

This is just what a coward does. Talk and take the mick where he can't see

Child!

You sure you didn't put those pics up under another name Simon? Bit defensive ain't ya?

You sure you didn't put those pics up under another name Simon? Bit defensive ain't ya?

In defensive because I was there one. I was terrible at plumbing and my soldering was poop
But I like to think that from all the mistakes I've made out there I've learnt alot. I went back to a job I did 3 years ago, which was one of my first. And I couldn't believe my wiring on the controller. I spent 2 hours rewiring out of pride and experience from where I had come

So yes I am very defensive of him. And I if I lived local to him. I would offer the chance of a job. Just because he's trying harder than the rest. He's def not asking for a placement

No, he's not asking for a placement he's out there charging people for work like this. And you think that's fine? Because its not gas it's not important to do a neat and tidy job?

Come on guys this boy says he has been doing stuff for 4 years
Even if it was a first job it looks crap and anyone can see it looks crap it looked better before he changed it
And as said he is charging people to do that
Simon I have a lot of respect for you and I know you would not leave a job like that!!

Hmmmm, yes on reflection you are right. He shouldn't be charging people for that work.

He's genuinely trying to do a good job, that's what's frustrating. There are loads of people out there with better skills than him who just don't give a **** and will lash it in better than that.

I would never leave a Job like that and I thank those for believing in my level of quality

I don't think this chap has been doing it for 4 years. I think he may be a dabbling in this and don't think this is a vocation of his.

I do agree that he should not be charging for this and that if he is, it should be at a heavily reduced rate.

I don't like this mocking of his work without making him aware of it. Perhaps a kick in the jewels like this may make him see his errors. But I do have to applaud him for his efforts. It is functional !

Ste b's thread on indirect systems

just finished watching a documentary about abortions and umbilical cords!.

apparently, trainee midwives tape up the nipples to prevent leaks?.:crazy:

It does look a mess but rather than just ripping into the bloke I tried to give a bit of constructive criticism. Definitely looks more DIY than pro though and if an apprentice of mine did that they'd be ripping it out and starting again.

But he's not an apprentice. He's a qualified plumber on paper. He's asked questions on gas work and on boiler breakdowns which fills me with dread. Look, it's not a personal dig at him as a person. I'm sure if we went for a pint he'd be a hoot. BUT if he's passing work like this off as acceptable then as far as I'm concerned he's giving the plumber a bad name. End off. Rant over.

The problem is if you go at people too hard they will disappear and continue carp work. If someone did work like that in my house I'd refuse to pay but there's a lot of custards that don't know any better unfortunately.

I regularly have to restrain myself when I see some of the questions that "trained plumbers" ask. I do wonder if they should be let loose on the general public with such an appaling lack of knowledge of basic plumbing systems.

@APP Plumbing............. I agree with your every word!

It is an absolute disaster,

Sorry but that is not acceptable!

lets face it lads, its no longer difficult or has it ever been to become a qualified plumber or gas engineer for that matter. But just like with any job your always going to get the good and the bad. I respect him for posting those pictures, i was there once maybe not as bad but i was there, and the only way you will improve is by looking at other good jobs others have carried out or by learning and being shown the better way by a seasoned pro :) his only direction by the looks of it is from you guys who can either tear him to pieces or like a lot have just nudge him in the right direction.

thou shall not smack a child brigade!.

i was brought up the other way, got ripped to shred's and even had work thrown at me at 16 (had a few spanners at the back of the head too) cause it was krap, but i then knew it was not good enough and dare not to do the same again!.

picture 9 is actually quite clever, a combined cold feed and toilet roll holder !

I can't disagree with APPlumbing.
If ste b is doing this work and working for a reduced rate he's the guy we all complain about who under cuts us and does a poor job.
As for give him a job Simon you have to be joking. Effort isn't worth a damn if he can't recognise his work looks like a dog's dinner.

I'm not writing this here to have a dig at him for my gratification but I won't write in on a public forum because it would be humiliating.
We all look at and pass comment on other people's work every day and when we see something that's that bad it makes our day. Can we drop the holier than thou acts please?

Flexis and copper, no chrome pipe on a wall hung basin?
I hate flexis and I refuse my lad when he asks to use them. As professionals we're supposed to be a step above diy.

But we all make mistakes, no one is perfect and everyday is a school day, the guy needs a few more lessons to be brought up to speed.

Flexis and copper, no chrome pipe on a wall hung basin?
I hate flexis and I refuse my lad when he asks to use them. As professionals we're supposed to be a step above diy.

But we all make mistakes, no one is perfect and everyday is a school day, the guy needs a few more lessons to be brought up to speed.

I prefer not to use flexis but they do have their place, I have a flexi to the hot tap in my bathroom as its in an awkward position. Admittedly it's hidden and I wouldn't leave one on show but sometimes needs must.

I have no problems with flexi hoses. Frankly they're marvelous, and the pictures we're talking about prove it.

I use them. A lot of taps are supplies with them. What are you going to do, throw them in the bin just to do it in copper tube?

I use flexi hoses all the time don't remember last time I didn't use them on a basin
And to be honest don't realy care who thinks there DIY because I don't

took a bit of adjusting using this new fangled method of copper instead of lead, dont go changing it.lol.

I'd use plastic but I can't find a connector to connect overflow to 1/2" threads and I'm having trouble getting a good seal on the 3/2 to 1/2 bush. I'm also not sure that the way overflow bulges when you subject it to 6 bar looks very nice. Still by the time you've inhaled all the solvent weld fumes you don't really care anyway.

In my opinion, flexis are best hidden. The basin in the photo has copper pipe not chrome and a flexi connected to it and both are on show and looks terrible.
Most of the taps I buy have screw in copper tails not flexis, but the few that come with flexis will be used. I get the lad to use copper instead of flexis as it's the best way for him to learn. Anyone can bend a flexi, not everyone can bend a copper offset. I stick by my views, I don't like them and don't trust them for long term use. For length of service, cooper versus a flexi hose=no brainer!

In my opinion, flexis are best hidden. The basin in the photo has copper pipe not chrome and a flexi connected to it and both are on show and looks terrible.
Most of the taps I buy have screw in copper tails not flexis, but the few that come with flexis will be used. I get the lad to use copper instead of flexis as it's the best way for him to learn. Anyone can bend a flexi, not everyone can bend a copper offset. I stick by my views, I don't like them and don't trust them for long term use. For length of service, cooper versus a flexi hose=no brainer!

Your right it's a no brainer for me too
I use the flexi every time
But then most of the stuff I fit you have to use flexis
Mainly cheaper stuff comes with copper tails IMHO

i've offered ste b a bit of experience as he lives just down the road, i think his attitude is good as he does want to improve even with the risk of humiliation in showing his work. he'll come on leaps and bounds with a bit of instruction. i personally don't think his skills are far off just lacking in the knowledge of 'which way is the best way'

p.s if i was making a pig out of copper he would be top of my list to make the curly tail! i bet some of those who are derisive of his work couldn't do what he did with the w/c lol.

thanks for offering to help kay jay as you say all he really needs is a bit of guidance and confidence and experience.

Your right it's a no brainer for me too
I use the flexi every time
But then most of the stuff I fit you have to use flexis
Mainly cheaper stuff comes with copper tails IMHO
I rarely buy cheap stuff, use quality brands and many come with copper tails, some with flexis.
Don't like flexis, seen a few burst and the mess they've made. They are not allowed to be fitted in the public buildings that I work in such as schools, hospitals, surgeries, town halls etc as they are considered a health risk for potable water and anyway they won't last as long as a copper tail or (arguably) push fit and plastic.
Every one has there own methods of carrying out installations and if you use flexis, that's up to you I've not got a problem with that, it's just not my preference. IMHO

Kayjay, that's a really good gesture in helping the guy out. He obviously enjoys what he does and with your guidance he'll be up to speed on the finer points.

Guy needs encouraged, but also shown. No one is perfect, we're always learning something new everyday in this game and I've been doing this for over 30 years and still learn new things as does everyone else.

trouble is he is not easy to help as he has a full time job away from plumbing and is only available weekends which as far as possible i try and keep free.
he seems keen though so i'm sure we can sort something out.

why not set up a 3 sided box in the garage and get him doing a toilet and sink install inside it while you have your sunday dinner?.

Nice one for offering to help him out, hes gonna need alot of work judgin by those pics though. I've never seen anything like it, the feed to the cistern is outrageous!!!

after 4 years you would have thought he would know how a fitting produces a water tight seal. PTFE tape on the threads of compression fittings makes me very uneasy evertime i see it.

Yeah, they clearly have no idea where the actual seal on the joint is or they wouldnt do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing pictures in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with...
Replies
Views
Hi All I found this forum quite by chance this afternoon whilst looking for an answer to a plumbing question that I have following a rebuild of...
Replies
Views
I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, in order to replace the solenoid on my shower I need to take it off the wall (bad shower design). I've got all the electrics disconnected...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock