Currently reading:
Plumbing pictures

Discuss Plumbing pictures in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rickster123

Has anyone else seen the new set of pics on the forum page? A new cloakroom install I THINK! My god. I'm not being harsh but that basin waste?! The copper to the wc?! Surely blooming not. I'm bait shocked that someone would put the pics up with pride. :shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:
picture 9 is actually quite clever, a combined cold feed and toilet roll holder !

I can't disagree with APPlumbing.
If ste b is doing this work and working for a reduced rate he's the guy we all complain about who under cuts us and does a poor job.
As for give him a job Simon you have to be joking. Effort isn't worth a damn if he can't recognise his work looks like a dog's dinner.

I'm not writing this here to have a dig at him for my gratification but I won't write in on a public forum because it would be humiliating.
We all look at and pass comment on other people's work every day and when we see something that's that bad it makes our day. Can we drop the holier than thou acts please?

Flexis and copper, no chrome pipe on a wall hung basin?
I hate flexis and I refuse my lad when he asks to use them. As professionals we're supposed to be a step above diy.

But we all make mistakes, no one is perfect and everyday is a school day, the guy needs a few more lessons to be brought up to speed.

Flexis and copper, no chrome pipe on a wall hung basin?
I hate flexis and I refuse my lad when he asks to use them. As professionals we're supposed to be a step above diy.

But we all make mistakes, no one is perfect and everyday is a school day, the guy needs a few more lessons to be brought up to speed.

I prefer not to use flexis but they do have their place, I have a flexi to the hot tap in my bathroom as its in an awkward position. Admittedly it's hidden and I wouldn't leave one on show but sometimes needs must.

I have no problems with flexi hoses. Frankly they're marvelous, and the pictures we're talking about prove it.

I use them. A lot of taps are supplies with them. What are you going to do, throw them in the bin just to do it in copper tube?

I use flexi hoses all the time don't remember last time I didn't use them on a basin
And to be honest don't realy care who thinks there DIY because I don't

took a bit of adjusting using this new fangled method of copper instead of lead, dont go changing it.lol.

I'd use plastic but I can't find a connector to connect overflow to 1/2" threads and I'm having trouble getting a good seal on the 3/2 to 1/2 bush. I'm also not sure that the way overflow bulges when you subject it to 6 bar looks very nice. Still by the time you've inhaled all the solvent weld fumes you don't really care anyway.

In my opinion, flexis are best hidden. The basin in the photo has copper pipe not chrome and a flexi connected to it and both are on show and looks terrible.
Most of the taps I buy have screw in copper tails not flexis, but the few that come with flexis will be used. I get the lad to use copper instead of flexis as it's the best way for him to learn. Anyone can bend a flexi, not everyone can bend a copper offset. I stick by my views, I don't like them and don't trust them for long term use. For length of service, cooper versus a flexi hose=no brainer!

In my opinion, flexis are best hidden. The basin in the photo has copper pipe not chrome and a flexi connected to it and both are on show and looks terrible.
Most of the taps I buy have screw in copper tails not flexis, but the few that come with flexis will be used. I get the lad to use copper instead of flexis as it's the best way for him to learn. Anyone can bend a flexi, not everyone can bend a copper offset. I stick by my views, I don't like them and don't trust them for long term use. For length of service, cooper versus a flexi hose=no brainer!

Your right it's a no brainer for me too
I use the flexi every time
But then most of the stuff I fit you have to use flexis
Mainly cheaper stuff comes with copper tails IMHO

i've offered ste b a bit of experience as he lives just down the road, i think his attitude is good as he does want to improve even with the risk of humiliation in showing his work. he'll come on leaps and bounds with a bit of instruction. i personally don't think his skills are far off just lacking in the knowledge of 'which way is the best way'

p.s if i was making a pig out of copper he would be top of my list to make the curly tail! i bet some of those who are derisive of his work couldn't do what he did with the w/c lol.

thanks for offering to help kay jay as you say all he really needs is a bit of guidance and confidence and experience.

Your right it's a no brainer for me too
I use the flexi every time
But then most of the stuff I fit you have to use flexis
Mainly cheaper stuff comes with copper tails IMHO
I rarely buy cheap stuff, use quality brands and many come with copper tails, some with flexis.
Don't like flexis, seen a few burst and the mess they've made. They are not allowed to be fitted in the public buildings that I work in such as schools, hospitals, surgeries, town halls etc as they are considered a health risk for potable water and anyway they won't last as long as a copper tail or (arguably) push fit and plastic.
Every one has there own methods of carrying out installations and if you use flexis, that's up to you I've not got a problem with that, it's just not my preference. IMHO

Kayjay, that's a really good gesture in helping the guy out. He obviously enjoys what he does and with your guidance he'll be up to speed on the finer points.

Guy needs encouraged, but also shown. No one is perfect, we're always learning something new everyday in this game and I've been doing this for over 30 years and still learn new things as does everyone else.

trouble is he is not easy to help as he has a full time job away from plumbing and is only available weekends which as far as possible i try and keep free.
he seems keen though so i'm sure we can sort something out.

why not set up a 3 sided box in the garage and get him doing a toilet and sink install inside it while you have your sunday dinner?.

Nice one for offering to help him out, hes gonna need alot of work judgin by those pics though. I've never seen anything like it, the feed to the cistern is outrageous!!!

after 4 years you would have thought he would know how a fitting produces a water tight seal. PTFE tape on the threads of compression fittings makes me very uneasy evertime i see it.

Yeah, they clearly have no idea where the actual seal on the joint is or they wouldnt do it.

I remember standing in plumb centre years ago when a fellow "professional" plumber walked in to complain about the stop taps that he had bought leaking. Apparently all 3 had the same problem. All 3 had ptfe tape on the threads but had all leaked around the gland nut. This guy had mucked about swapping 3 valves when a tweak on the gland nut would have solved the problem.

I came across a pump with PTFE on the threads. Apparently the previous plumber had been unable to get a seal when he fitted the new pump and matters had got worse with each wrap of PTFE. He eventually smeared it all in LSX and left.

been to an outside tap job today, found stop tap a foot below the gate valve some numpty diyer decided to fit.lol.:ciappa:

been to an outside tap job today, found stop tap a foot below the gate valve some numpty diyer decided to fit.lol.:ciappa:
it really does make you wonder what are they thinking of:dozey:

it really does make you wonder what are they thinking of:dozey:

I did it the other week whilst doing the new bathroom at home, used flexis on the taps to the bath that came with Iso valves, but still fit two more iso valves before the flexis. I was away with the fairies I think :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing pictures in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock