Discuss Pipe freeze machine - new toy! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

The ice plug compressed the water up against whatever was on that nut on the pipe, had nowhere else to go and burst through the thinnest part of the pipe wall. Thinner either from bending or just manufacturing variances. Even in a beautifully made piece of pipe, one place will be the thinnest and have to fail first when over-stressed.

Well that's that particular aspect of my theory trashed!

I can only think that despite being frozen in a single jacket the pipe froze in two places separated by liquid water and the ice plug was not one continuous piece.

It's an unusual one that's for sure mate.

Very. And I do doubt the “double ice plug” as where it burst was right at the bottom of the jacket. Not a place where is expect it to freeze. We’ll never know.

Reply to Pipe freeze machine - new toy! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind...
Replies
Views
Can a mains water pipe be run through an integral garage? It's to feed a washing machine used 2-3 times a week. Is there a risk of the pipes freezing?
Replies
Views
My clothes washing machine drain pipe overflowed water when the machine was emptying, so I augered the pipe over 15 feet and I even had a plumber...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’m having a problem with my washing machine and any help would greatly be appreciated! I moved into my new build ground floor flat just...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock