Discuss pipe bending in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pnhsolutions

Hi
I was bending pipe today abd a apprentice was trying to show me a rule to follow!
He said there is a simple equation called 'measure back' but he could not remember the rule!
Does anybody remember being taught this at college?

So its a case of measuring how far you want the bend from the end to centre of the pipe and measure back over using the corrisponding numbers on that table. Also explains the line marks on the formers as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was taught to bend by eye also the chap who taught me was left handed and I have been told that I use my bender upside down.
regards
Mike

copper bending. my pennys worth.i bend by eye also,but remember the basics.the measuring etc is farely time consuming so not practical
pullin 90's- put a line on the pipe at a distance from the end of the pipe equal to that between the fixed point and the back of the finnished bend.u need to b sure that the line on the pipe is square with the back of the former.and pull away mad.
An offset
The first bend can be pulled at any angle.
The pipe is then pushed further along the benders and turned around to make the first bend look upwards away from the former.
A ruler and a straight edge are used to measure the distance of the offset that you want.
When marking this out, make sure that the straight edge is running parallel with the piece of pipe looking upwards away from the former.
Once the correct measurement is got the bend can be pulled around until it is at the same angle as the first bend and can be seen to run parallel.
Check this then using the straight edge.

Passover-hop over
There is a lot of ways of forming a passover.
The easiest I think is to pull a bend first, the angle of this depends upon the size of the obstruction.
The bend cannot be too sharp because it will be very awkward pulling the offset bends.
A straight edge is positioned over the bend centrally to a distance equal to the passover wanted.
The pipe is marked with two lined which will be at the back of the finished offsets.
Put the pipe in the benders, and when the first mark is in line with the back of the former, the first set is pulled.
Once this bend is done, the pipe is simply reversed in the benders, and the second mark lined up in the former and pulled to complete the passover.

not easy to explain, not sure if u follow.
the formula s are used for heat bends. there s something about findind the center of the radius of the bend.then u find the amount of pipe length to heat by the formula -pie x radius x 2 divided by 4:confused::confused: not certain .if u don t have a perticular radius for the bend u would just go 4 times the nominal diameter of the pipe.
not too sure of special measurements.there are other formula s though i think.:eek:

So its a case of measuring how far you want the bend from the end to centre of the pipe and measure back over using the corrisponding numbers on that table. Also explains the line marks on the formers as well.

brilliantly simple:)
thanks for posting

if you do it by eye, and you keep making mistakes you will be amazed at how quick your scrap pile grows
regards
mike

exactly as unguided says. tho maybe not too professional.....
i love it, do it the way you think you should, nd if your lucky or unlucky?
it ends up in your scrap pile.....
shaun

pipe bending why is it so how to learn how to do it? Some people find it easy and yet i struggle.

pipe bending why is it so how to learn how to do it? Some people find it easy and yet i struggle.
when i need accuracy which realy isnt that often i mark where the center of the pipe wants to be after bending lock it into the macine and use a piece of copper in the former at the desired angle and line it center of the mark its easier to do than explain lol

when i need accuracy which realy isnt that often i mark where the center of the pipe wants to be after bending lock it into the macine and use a piece of copper in the former at the desired angle and line it center of the mark its easier to do than explain lol

thats exactly how i do it steve, they didnt show me that in college tho, i picked that up from another plumber i was on a job with lol.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pipe bending in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
Hi, I have a 300 litre heat store and want to install a 30 tube KSpan HP200 panel. The quotes I have locally are high so I was toying with the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi I am a plumber and heating engineer/drainage engineer, and now a day’s only do my own plumbing, as concentrate on clearing drains. I have a...
Replies
Views
stevenowen123
S
G
Hi, I have just joined the forum, and hope you can help me with a problem. I am a DIYer but have done a bit of plumbing over the years! I am...
Replies
Views
wheeto
W
B
I am attempting to bring hot water to a bath tap via the tee in the attached pic. I've got it working sort of using a push-fit reducer, but...
Replies
Views
btibuzz
B
S
Hi-new here, we just got a combi boiler fitted. I was told we need 22mm supply and old supply was 15mm which ran under concrete floor.Was told...
Replies
Views
Puddle
P
Back