Search the forum,

Discuss Old Fittings Fight Back in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

btibuzz

I am attempting to bring hot water to a bath tap via the tee in the attached pic.

I've got it working sort of using a push-fit reducer, but although it's on straight it appears to be weeping a bit. I think the cause may be the pipe its going onto.

The issue is that whilst it is old, I don't think it's imperial (3/4") I think it's 22mm but an old 22mm (although you can't see it in the pic it actually says 22 on the compression nuts).

I was able to put a new piece of 22mm pipe, with a new olive on the vertical tee and use the new 22mm compression nut to do it up (threads matched etc).

However it never did up enough to compress the olive and create a seal. (pipe was still loose in the fitting)

Comparing it with the old piece of pipe - it appears the old olive is bigger, also the pipe itself appears a little smaller (new 22mm pipe will not go into the old compression nut)

Questions...

1) Is there an old 22mm that is incompatible with new 22mm or am I just missing something?

The continuation of the tee is now dead so I could replace with an elbow. However given that the old pipe appears to be slightly smaller diameter than new 22mm pipe...

2) would a new 22m end feed fitting work?
3) would a new 22mm compression fitting deal with a the smaller pipe better?
4) would PTFE/Loctite xx be of any use to me here to bulk up the pipe/olive to help seal?

5) Am I going mad and actually looking at 3/4" pipe and there's a simple imperial-metric connector that would do the job?

Once in new fittings, I think I know what I'm doing - any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Attachments

• 46_bath_hot_tee.jpg
    46_bath_hot_tee.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 54
go to a plumbing outlet ask for an 3/4 imperial olive for 22mm pipe and try that

Yes as Steve says, often it was just a case of swapping the ring in a 22mm fitting for a 3/4" imperial for it too work. Must admit I never liked it much, the imperial pipe swam around a bit loose and sometimes you could see the imperial ring nearly coming out the back of a 22mm backnut.

I preferred a soldered 22 x 3/4 coupler and change over to 22mm. But as you say its not always possible to do.

Well after a trip to plumb centre and toolstation I've now got..

3/4" - 22mm end fit couplers
22mm compression coupler and a pack of 3/4" olives
22mm elbows
15mm elbows
22mm pipe
15mm pipe.

Something's bound to fit! Wish me luck.

Paul

if you use a copper olive that works , never really has a problem just need to tighten more

the pipe could also be niether 3/4 or 22mm,
it could be gas thread / 20 thread, in which case it will need a brass conversion socket.

I've had this issue with joining old steel pipe to new copper. My fix at the time was to wrap the smaller pipe with ptfe so the olive would sit over the ptfe if you get the idea then put the nut and olive over the ptfe on the smaller pipe and proceed to wrap the olive with loads and loads (don't be shy with the tape) of 'gas' ptfe tape. The gas tape is obviously thicker and more suited to this than the water tape. Proceeded to tighten(give it some beans as my old tradesman used to say lol) it as much as possible and it sealed no probs. I defo believe the gas tape was the key to a good seal on it though.

Hope thats helpful

best of luck

Hi. You would not be a plumber if you did not pull a few strokes when time restraints apply , but using nut and olives to connect copper to iron is not a good practice under normal conditions. Or perhaps i am reading it wrong?

Well what worked in the end was...

left old 3/4" tee in situ
used New 3/4" olive in one end of 22mm compression coupler and fitted to the vertical 3/4" pipe.

Fitted male 22mm end of 22mm-15mm end fit reducer to the other side of the 22mm compression coupler.

Soldered in small length of 15mm pipe to the female 15mm end of the reducer
push fit flexible tap tail to 15mm pipe

It might not be the prettiest job in the world but I think the individual connections are 'as designed', it's not bodged up with tape and it ain't leaking (at the moment).

(Have advised my mate not to put back the bath panel for a week or so to keep an eye out for leaks)

Thanks all for the advice.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old Fittings Fight Back in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock