Discuss Painting copper pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Friends

Following on from yesters 'hell of a day' I need to do some boxing in but also need to paint the pipes under the rad (or when I docorate it'll look rubbish).

It is just an undercoat and gloss or are there other paints needed, I don't want them peeling!!!

Cheers all.

Just saw some plastic pipe sleeves on B&Q website - 1m in length.

Never used them, question to anyone - do they bend? I.e for offsets and elbows? If not, may still be better than painting pipe as I can just paint offest and elbow.

talon snappit pipe sleeves just cut em with scissors. straight pipes only

Paint on copper pipes has to go down as no.1 in my all time list of things I hate the most. Use chrome or white plastic then you don't have to paint it!

White plastic sleeves are OK - they are slit lengthways and just clip over the tails. They don't bend easily - might be worth trying gentle heat I suppose.

Have to agree with system3 re the painting - never looks much good anyway, and a pain in the Rs for the next plumber.

ch must be cool down
wipe of any oil from pipe work
paint with oil based undercoat 2 coats
paint with oil based satinwood/eggshell or high gloss
to avoid brash marke use a foam brush
do not paint any brass fittings !!!!

do not paint any brass at all

Avoid painting any pipes. The white pipe covers probably only for straight pipes. They turn a bit yellow eventually, on heating pipes. The chrome or s.steel look covers can be nice.
As Safegasinstall has said, try Satinwood paint if you must, as it is easy to use, doesn't have to be as fussy as gloss, can be recoated easy, & is recommended for rads etc.
Guess rad enamel would be a perfect, stay white finish, if you could be bothered, - I wouldn't!

The best way of painting pipes is to avoid brushes at all costs. Give the pipes a clean down with a degreaser and allow to dry. Mask up the surrounding area with newspaper and masking tape. Apply a couple of coats of spray on radiator enamel. Don't try and put it on too thick. A few light coats will give a better finish and lessen the chance of runs.

The masking up is a bit of a faff but the finish you get is so much better than with a brush.

The best way of painting pipes is to avoid brushes at all costs. Give the pipes a clean down with a degreaser and allow to dry. Mask up the surrounding area with newspaper and masking tape. Apply a couple of coats of spray on radiator enamel. Don't try and put it on too thick. A few light coats will give a better finish and lessen the chance of runs.

The masking up is a bit of a faff but the finish you get is so much better than with a brush.

Only if you know how to use your fine purdy brush then you will get no brush marks ! Just put it heavy and lay it off :)

Well, well, well, I was always told never use undercoat when painting white, as rads and pipework will yellow. This maybe when using oil based paint, so I bow to the pro's.

Never had to paint pipes as part of my job, but I have decorated a few houses in my time and always used 1 coat gloss straight on the pipes, not had any issues tbh.
As for removing paint from pipes/fittings so you can work on them:
56238.jpg £1.69 from the station of tools for all 3, not sure if I'd still be a plumber without these babies :)

If there's a load of paint on the pipes, another fiver goes on the bill! Howsabout wire wool then a scotchguard pad then some brasso. Looks lovely in my opinion (and a fiver cheaper!LOL)

Have used white plastic covers for years and no they don't bend but do eventually go yellow and distort after a few years, however they're simple to replace. I've found that some are better than others in terms of life-span, I've tried B&Q and Homebase products, but cant say which has been better. I certainly no longer paint pipes, as when redecorating later the old paint cracks and is a devil to make good. IMV Painting is best avoided.

If you must use a plastic cover, use a length of plastic overflow pipe over 15mm copper and slit it so that it can be opened up and wrapped on the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Painting copper pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, hope all is well! I’ve fitted a compression cap on two of my shower mixer copper pipes (15mm). One of them has scratches and burring and is...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of...
Replies
Views
Back