Discuss Outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been fitting outside taps for years, but have never, ever fitted one 1/2 hour. I suppose you could do it that quickly with a cheap B&Q self cutting crappo fitting.

Thats because you are a handyman and we are pros.
5 minutes to get the gear out the van, another 5 to drill a hole, 10 minutes to fit the pipe and tap and 10 minutes to drink your luke warm tea and get weighed in.

Years ago a mate of mine working on the sites used to card every new owner £40 a tap. He fitted one in just about every house. It even got to the stage he was sticking a bit overflow sleeve through when he roughed them out.

Thats because you are a handyman and we are pros.
5 minutes to get the gear out the van, another 5 to drill a hole, 10 minutes to fit the pipe and tap and 10 minutes to drink your luke warm tea and get weighed in.

Years ago a mate of mine working on the sites used to card every new owner £40 a tap. He fitted one in just about every house. It even got to the stage he was sticking a bit overflow sleeve through when he roughed them out.

Noo that's class!

That's what I thought at an absolute push!

Yeah, very sensible, & doesn't it depend on the drill, also how hard you push, my Bosch will punch a chunk out like a dum dum bullet but I've got a weaker hammer drill that just gently taps it way through.

Of course I don't! Unless it's a stone wall Devon cottage & 600mm won't go all the way through & now I'm not joking. Did one last week to feed a washing machine in a porch, admittedly I took a whole stone out one side.

We used to leave the tails ready under the floor boards in new houses and the waste pipe in the wall plastered over for the washing machines, that was back in the 70's when we could get £70.00 for plumbing in a washing machine and £30 for the outside tap which was fitted behind the washing machine.

Today my minimum charge is €120.00 that's just for turning up, wasn't I the lucky one who was in the business back when people recognised a trade and paid the proper rate, no bad habits here :smug2:

When I went self-employed a plastic 10 gallon tank was about 4 quid, no idea what they are now, years since I fitted one.

We used to leave the tails ready under the floor boards in new houses and the waste pipe in the wall plastered over for the washing machines, that was back in the 70's when we could get £70.00 for plumbing in a washing machine and £30 for the outside tap which was fitted behind the washing machine.

Today my minimum charge is €120.00 that's just for turning up, wasn't I the lucky one who was in the business back when people recognised a trade and paid the proper rate, no bad habits here :smug2:

You were lucky with the prices for the automatics. The most i could get was £50 but everyone was getting one so i was doing one every night. Outside taps kicked in in the 80's up here and filled the washers gap.
Ha they were the days. More money than a horse could shyte :lol:

As for those self-cutting valves for the B&Q DIY kits. I've started to worry where the little disc of copper goes!!?

Plus you won't get a good flow rate through such a tiny aperture.

the plate just folds back in the pipe you cut into, so it slows the flow!. wras regs are at the bottom, stop valve or full ball fix ,double check valve drain valve, so a couple of quid in bits with the tap back plate etc customers down here in south wales want it done for £50 ish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and...
Replies
Views
I’ve lost the pressure from the outside tap. It was working fine. I have checked the washer on the outside tap and the inside stop valve seen in...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm having an issue with my outside tap not working, the tiniest of dribbles comes put each time I try it. Ive changed the tap to no avail...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced...
Replies
Views
I have been trying to turn off my outside tap for winter. When I turn the valve under the kitchen sink, it fails to stop the outside tap from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock