Search the forum,

Discuss Outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marsaday

I am trying to find an outside tap on tool station, but cant seem to find what i need. It needs a back plate so it can be secured to the wall. Also do they come in solder, push fit or compression ?

Any links will be appreciated.

like these? 45259.jpg 95844.jpg items 74070 and95844 at toolstation

You can also try screwfix part nos 37241-92934 and you might like to look at 82202 i find these quite useful

Don't forget you'll need to fit a double check valve inside the property to comply with the water regulations.

I quite like to use 33291 from toolstation.
Very tidy on the outside.
View attachment 6860

I like these as well, really tidy! Do have to be really carefull punching the pipe through though if drilling from inside...
If you blow the face off the outside finish it is a pain to get the fixings in for the wall plate.

Taps with integral check valves are not water regs compliant for a new installation. They are only suitable when upgrading an existing tap. A new installation must have a double check valve and isolating valve internally.

I'm fairly sure speedfit do a push fit double check valve. They're normally compression anyway.

JG Speedfit do a push fit double check valve but it's way overpriced. A standard compression one is better. The bib taps with the built in DCV don't last in very cold weather, even with the tap drained, so a separate internal one is the best solution. Don't forget to fix an isolating valve so that you can turn the tap off and drain it in the winter.

Always drill from the outside so that you don't burst your wall.

and if you are using the standard back plate, fit it below the point where the pipe comes out the wall so that it can be drained in winter.

Taps with integral check valves are not water regs compliant for a new installation. They are only suitable when upgrading an existing tap. A new installation must have a double check valve and isolating valve internally.

I thought the regs said should be not must. Have they changed?

whats a double check valve ?

A double check valve will prevent any stale water in a connected hosepipe or contamination from garden / pressure washer chemicals mixing with the main (drinking) water supply, from the outside tap.

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned above, the integral DCVs in the bib taps are useless after a winter and it is widely known amongst plumbers. Relying on one of those is bad practice to say the least, not sure what the regs say on the matter but I do know what good plumbers say ;)

A double check valve will prevent any stale water in a connected hosepipe or contamination from garden / pressure washer chemicals mixing with the main (drinking) water supply, from the outside tap.

Agreed, but I was only challenging the must be inside part. Like I said the regs might have changed.

Open Question to all: How much do you charge where you are (ballpark figure) for fitting an outside tap including materials?

Agreed, but I was only challenging the must be inside part. Like I said the regs might have changed.

Open Question to all: How much do you charge where you are (ballpark figure) for fitting an outside tap including materials?

ballpark my friend..£300,how much do you charge.

Paragraph 15 of the water regs is the appropriate one. 15 (1) states that an adequate device must be used to prevent backflow. and 15 (5) states that a backflow prevention device is adequate for the purpose of paragraph (1) if it is in accordance with a specification approved by the regulator for the purpose of this schedule.

This specification is the Regulators' Specifications on the Prevention of Backflow which is enforceable from 1st May 2000. This specification contains the guidance on DC valves for outside taps. The advice for backflow prevention in the WRAS water regulations guide is based on this specification.

Agreed, but I was only challenging the must be inside part.

Sorry that was a reply to marsaday asking what a double-check valve is, not directly to you hence why I quoted part of his original reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock