Discuss Outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do u serious
do an outside tap for Danny??? Ur not a £45 full thing are u lol

Outside tap, hmmmm about £110, maybe a bit more. Materials about £25/30. Shouldn't take long if it's drilling through by the kitchen sink and it's all easy to access.

A metre of 15mm pipe, a double check valve, a full bore ballafix, a back plate elbow and a bib tap, oh and a couple of elbows and an equal tee.

Shouldn't take long. Last one I did was last year. knock on my van window as I was packing up from another job. Charged £75 and it took me half hour. But I did have all the bits on board and did just walk over to the property and fit it easily.

I've been using outside taps as a foot in the door, got them on offer on my website for £40. I see it as advertising, takes 1/2 hour and the cost is covered. I leave a business card and have had a few repeat jobs off the back of it.
Supermarkets have been doing it for years with 'loss leaders', they'll sell something cheap at a loss in the hope that you also buy some other stuff while you're there. Like when asda did tins of plum tomatoes for 7p.

I have been fitting outside taps for years, but have never, ever fitted one 1/2 hour. I suppose you could do it that quickly with a cheap B&Q self cutting crappo fitting.

Ye but they dont graft for that
Very true, I am only testing the waters to see if it's worth it for repeat business. And if it's not going to be a quick job I'll advise that it will cost more. Example, 2 weeks ago I fitted one in a stone cottage with 400mm ish hard as nails stone walls, took best part of an hour and a spent drill bit just to drill through, so that one cost £120.

I have been fitting outside taps for years, but have never, ever fitted one 1/2 hour. I suppose you could do it that quickly with a cheap B&Q self cutting crappo fitting.
Don't want to ruffle any feathers or anything, but that may be the difference between a handyman and a plumber. As long as there aren't any hidden issues like difficult to drain/refill cold pipes, boxed in pipework or silly stone walls half an hour is fast for fitting one but not uncommon. You're probably faster than me at the other services you provide, but I do plumbing day in day out and have done for years.
Isolate and drain down(<5 mins)
Drill through and fit wall plate and bib tap (10 mins)
Cut feed (2 mins)
Cut, clean and assemble pipes/fittings(5 -10 mins)
Solder up(2 mins)
Turn mains back on and run taps etc. (5 mins)
By my reckoning, you may even get a minute to eat a Jaffa Cake/chocolate hobnob while admiring your work :)
Not sure of the price of a b&q garden tap kit, but I'll bet it's not cheap compared to getting the bits you need from a plumbers merchant(I'd guess at about £15 for individual parts from Plumbfix + a couple of bits of leftover pipe from the toolbox). I actually used to fit the kits with self tappers when I was at college as pocket money jobs, must have done a dozen or so and not had any come backs from them, I fitted one in a house I rent out about 8 years ago and it's still going strong. Obviously wouldn't fit one now, not because they are rubbish, they're just not as good as doing it properly :)

Yeah, they can easily be done in half an hour if the set up is easy.

I tend to just sweat an elbow onto a couple of bits of 15mm pipe. One to go through the wall, the other to go into the back plate elbow.
Drill my hole. Feed the pipe through. Mark drill and fit the back plate elbow, with the short section of pipe in it. Tighted comp fitting. Then isolate, drain, and cut tee into the mains. Couple more fittings, and an iso valve. Sweat them. Bit of sealant around the hole in the wall, job done. Half an hour is easily achievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and...
Replies
Views
I’ve lost the pressure from the outside tap. It was working fine. I have checked the washer on the outside tap and the inside stop valve seen in...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm having an issue with my outside tap not working, the tiniest of dribbles comes put each time I try it. Ive changed the tap to no avail...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced...
Replies
Views
I have been trying to turn off my outside tap for winter. When I turn the valve under the kitchen sink, it fails to stop the outside tap from...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock