Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Outdoor tap stopped working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RoboProd

Start by saying I have no idea what I'm doing, plumbing isn't my strong point so came on here for a bit of advice. The outside tap in my mothers house hasn't worked for a while and she's asked me to have a look as money is tight right now, traced the hose pipe which goes into the back of the tap to under the sink:

2nvbggi.jpg

Unscrewed the white bit at the bottom and turned the white screw bit at the top which can barely be seen to see if any water would flow but no luck. Probably stating the obvious but this is just above the main valve for the water and everything else (sink, washing machine etc.) connected to the plumbing is working fine.

Any tips or do I need to get a plumber in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those clamp on pipe taps aren't brilliant. It may be clogged up. The valve may have seized up if it hasn't been used. Have you tried removing the white cap and turning the spindle with a pair of pliers? Be careful as you could end up with a lot of water everywhere! Probably best to re-attach the hose pipe if you can't see any blockages in it before trying the above.

Test for water at the self cutting tap (in your picture), if you are getting water there the it may be the actual tap. If it's a tap with an integral double check valve it could be that that is your problem.

It all depends on how adventurous you are feeling. Any doubts then phone a plumber.

Those clamp on pipe taps aren't brilliant. It may be clogged up. The valve may have seized up if it hasn't been used. Have you tried removing the white cap and turning the spindle with a pair of pliers? Be careful as you could end up with a lot of water everywhere! Probably best to re-attach the hose pipe if you can't see any blockages in it before trying the above.

Thanks for the reply.

The cap at the top turns both ways and stops after its got to its threshold both ways so I think it's turning fine but what you say about it being clogged up seems likely. If this is the case is it possible to fix myself or is it a skilled job?

Test for water at the self cutting tap (in your picture), if you are getting water there the it may be the actual tap. If it's a tap with an integral double check valve it could be that that is your problem.

It all depends on how adventurous you are feeling. Any doubts then phone a plumber.

I removed the hose and tried turning the white cap at the top if that's what you mean and nothing is coming out under the sink.

Last edited by a moderator:
those valves/diy tap kits are crud, i would repipe the entire outisde tap with an isolator (normal stop tap or level valve for oap's), double check and some lagging. If you feel its beyond your skill level then get a local plumber in to do the work. If you post your location you may find somebody on the forum lives near by and will be willing to get it done for you.

If the setup doesn't already have a double-check valve (to prevent chemicals from the hose/outside tap contaminating drinking water), this is a good time to fit one when you remove the tap and fit a proper isolation valve.

post your location ,just get couple quotes ,gives you guide price what you may pay

I fitted one of these and in about 3 years the steel self cutting bit rusted up .

Not a nice fix , try a pro !

those valves/diy tap kits are crud, i would repipe the entire outisde tap with an isolator (normal stop tap or level valve for oap's), double check and some lagging. If you feel its beyond your skill level then get a local plumber in to do the work. If you post your location you may find somebody on the forum lives near by and will be willing to get it done for you.

Probably would be past my skill level, I was looking for a quick fix to be honest rather than totally replacing the system - if that's not possible then I will need to consider a professional.

no problem. Although it will cost more money to replace whats there you will be getting a proper job that is likely to last alot longer with less future problems. If your mother has any problems with grip i would ask any plumber to fit a isolation device that has an easy to operate handle so she can easily turn the water off to the tap in the winter.

i hope you get it sort out.

I was posting business cards in an estate that can't be more than a few years old and every single house had their outside taps piped in hose pipe. Neatly done, clipped. But hose pipe! Is this allowed by building control?

I've seen a diy kit somewhere or other that uses hosepipe.
I suspect you'd find an isolating valve and double check fitted inside the property before the flexible is connected.

is the hose pipe wras approved?? im guessing not. Like many cheap flexi's and wash machine hoses if they are not wras approved then its likely the hose will taint the water supply and would need check valves etc... including a sign to inform the users its not for drinking water i guess.

Dunno mate, I've never used one.
I think that they are for the diy market as I probably saw them in one of the 'I did that' sheds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outdoor tap stopped working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock