Search the forum,

Discuss Opinion on quality of pipe work (pictures) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i stand corrected on the notching of joists from below not some thing id consider must be a pig holding the skill saw over your head getting covered in saw dust

Tell you truth I prefer JG - but I usually give the customer the choice of copper or plastic.

Quite often they will go for the plastic pipe due to the cost of the copper pipework and extra labour . . . . .

Nought wrong with Speedfit if done according to manufacturers instructions, fitted correctly and clipped out right.

Problem it is open to abuse - I see a lot of Hep thrown around by general builders in the most horrifying way and it gives placcy pipe a bad name.

Just the other day i removed a Hep pipe that a 'Bob the Builder' had connected right to the very top of an un-vented cylinder!

However it is easy to see plastic and shout 'bodge' but it may very well not be . . . . . . .

Very soon if copper prices continue to increase we may have to do almost everything in plastic - or gold if it is cheaper!!!

Tell you truth I prefer JG - but I usually give the customer the choice of copper or plastic.

Quite often they will go for the plastic pipe due to the cost of the copper pipework and extra labour . . . . .

Nought wrong with Speedfit if done according to manufacturers instructions, fitted correctly and clipped out right.

Problem it is open to abuse - I see a lot of Hep thrown around by general builders in the most horrifying way and it gives placcy pipe a bad name.

Just the other day i removed a Hep pipe that a 'Bob the Builder' had connected right to the very top of an un-vented cylinder!

However it is easy to see plastic and shout 'bodge' but it may very well not be . . . . . . .

Very soon if copper prices continue to increase we may have to do almost everything in plastic - or gold if it is cheaper!!!
And the problem being what ??? (apart from Bob playing with un-vented)

The problem was that a Hep fitting was connected directly to a 30mm piece of copper on the top of the cylinder and bent into place to boot.

I called Heatra Sadia about it and they said it was a no no according to their installation requirements . . . . .

If the cylinder overheated it would split the o-ring in the Hep fitting pretty damn quickly!

I know the first 2 meter of outlet from a combi must be in copper (for no doubt the same reason!) it is a rule i would certainly stick too when dealing with the outlet on a hot water cylinder . . . .

Its common sence isn't it?!?!

The problem was that a Hep fitting was connected directly to a 30mm piece of copper on the top of the cylinder and bent into place to boot.

I called Heatra Sadia about it and they said it was a no no according to their installation requirements . . . . .

If the cylinder overheated it would split the o-ring in the Hep fitting pretty damn quickly!

I know the first 2 meter of outlet from a combi must be in copper (for no doubt the same reason!) it is a rule i would certainly stick too when dealing with the outlet on a hot water cylinder . . . .

Its common sence isn't it?!?!

So what are we saying that plastic pipe work can not be used with un-vented hot water systems ? or that they should not be connected to the outlet directly ??
PS Can not find anything in the M.I's that states that plastic can not be used.

im not a plumber.. but wouldnt it be a better idea to drill holes through the middle of the joists and run the pipes that way,, i over board ceings all the time and havnt gone through a pipe yet (touchwood)..

IMO, ask yourself what you want....
- How much to overboard compared to not having to lower ceiling?
- How much for 1/2 days labour for the plumber to put right?
- will you notice the difference with the finished job either way?

For me, it is compromise with the plumber on cost and drill joists. It will be much easier for him too now the ceiling proper is down. i would be actively trying to keep you sweet cos if you removing walls and renewing pipework there may be more work in the offing.....

I's always assumed that you shouldn't notch the bottom for the same reason but a spot of googling reveals loads of information stating that it's okay as long as you don't notch top and bottom at the same end.
Therefore lies a problem. If the joists are notched on the underside and hidden out of view from the room above, any installers lifting the floor boards above are not going to be aware that the joists have been notched on the underside if the notch can't be seen. The joists might then be notched in error on top and bottom.

I've nothing against plastic, (although I only use copper,as that's my preference) except that for changes in direction, a fitting is generally required. Multiple changes in direction means multiple use of fittings and they are big, bulky and unsightly if on view. For peace of mind in areas that are inaccessible, I personally feel safer with soldered fittings.

The vast majority of new builds use plastic systems now and I don't see this trend changing anytime soon. It's easy to slag off plastic like in this instance, because it does look unsightly at times and the fittings are big, ugly and bulky.

As to the OP, I'd perhaps say without any malice intended to either yourself or the plumber involved, that the job looks like there was either a misunderstanding or breakdown in communications between you both. I'd suggest that you ask for the pipework to be pressure tested (as per manufacturers specs.) before the ceiling goes back up and perhaps meet him him half way with the way that the ceiling can be fitted to accommodate his pipework.

Whatever you decide, the pipework MUST be pressure tested first anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
given whats there id run a batten along paralel to the pipes either side and drop that section of the ceiling either plastered or with a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Opinion on quality of pipe work (pictures) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock