Discuss open flued appliance in a bedroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 44451

hi guys , this might be a stupid question but here goes. My dear mom is about to be moved back home after a recent illness and she has now got a bed in what was the lounge. Now theres gas fire in this room and im not sure if there could be some kind of emergency shut off on the supply pipework should any co fumes build up apart from the oxypilot that is because the room is now effectively a bedroom.

If it were my mums home I'd fit a CO Detector for safety, explain the safety issues and know that it'll take extraordinary incidents to cause any concern; is there not a radiator in the room?

fire must have O2 depletion devise fm memory but best you look it up. Apart fm that, old ladies and fires dont mix, best take it out and rely on rads with covers.

If it were my mums. For the cost of a cheap boiler I would fit a RS one

Come across loads of fireside boilers in livingrooms become temporary 'bedrooms' Simon & ... lots of bedrooms with gas fires fitted prior to the cut of age without any safety device etc..etc... still okay! Just NCS ... the fire in question has an oxypilot, in itself gives away it's age and safety ... IMHO If the ops worried about safety then a CO detector is the best form of defence IMHO :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Appliance in a bedroom must be room sealed if over 14kw, not likely for a fire, if under 14kw and open flued it must have a safety device, FSD type so this fire would appear to be within the regs, however as others have suggested a CO detector is advisable

Great post. Under the industry IUSP it states rented accommodation not privately owned and does not specify if it is room sealed or open flued. Is this temporary? In any event common sense prevails. Make sure the appliance is working safely and fit a CO alarm as a back up.

Last edited:
thanks guys i was planning to fit a co alarm any way knowing me i will prob take the fire out and do the checks , just wasnt sure about the regs . just know my mom is gonna have a kip with the fire left on at some point

Crazy regs again!
In private accommodation if fire predates 1996, has no ASD and operating safely it is NCS.
Installed after 1996 it must have ASD in sleeping accommodation or it is AR.

As mentioned CO alarm at very least is a must.

Personally I'd at risk any fire without asd in a bedroom regardless of the date of install. Sod the regs I'm covering my own back and my engineers judgement screams dodgy as hell!

Worst I ever saw was a 70kW OF ideal concorde in the utility of a old vicarage down here, cust wanted it serviced (looked like the 1st time for a decade) as they had put a bed in with it for there mum as she was coming out of hospital and couldn't manage the stairs. Personally I AR'd it and shut it down, and explained the problem to the cust, they were ok and moved bed to another room.

Personally I'd at risk any fire without asd in a bedroom regardless of the date of install. Sod the regs I'm covering my own back and my engineers judgement screams dodgy as hell!
That's the problem with the term "Regulations are not retrospective", but you can't expect everyone to upgrade their gas/electrical and what ever other installations to fall in line with regulation changes.

That's the problem with the term "Regulations are not retrospective", but you can't expect everyone to upgrade their gas/electrical and what ever other installations to fall in line with regulation changes.

Very true. That's where the at risk category comes into its own IMO. The appliance is only turned off and labeled but they sign a warning notice so if they want to ignore you and switch it back on it's there own doing.

It's not your place to over classify something, how would you classify a properly working OF boiler in a bathroom which has been in for 20 odd years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to open flued appliance in a bedroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hi there, please help dont have a clue how to set this up. Ive recently installed a complete new central heating system in my house myself. The...
Replies
Views
This maybe isn't so much about asking for advice as giving it 🤔 I had a leaking HW cylinder (23 years old) that I got fed up patching up with...
Replies
Views
Hi Moved into a property last year, combi system installed 3-5 years ago. Ready to start ripping radiators out as heating system is doing my head...
Replies
Views
H
Hi everyone, I chap I know rents out a flat that has a Baxi Bermuda back boiler and fire in what used to be the living room. He has recently...
Replies
Views
Mrs Tara Plumbi
M
I've been doing some work for a good customer of mine on a residential home. It's a converted 300 yr old hall with 24 bedrooms on 3 floors as well...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock