Search the forum,

Discuss Back boiler in bedroom? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HeatStar

Hi everyone,

I chap I know rents out a flat that has a Baxi Bermuda back boiler and fire in what used to be the living room.

He has recently rented the property out and his new tennants have converted the living room into a bedroom. Now, British Gas have been to do an annual check and service and have classed the boiler as AR on the basis that an Open flued appliance above 14KW cannot be installed in a bedroom. I had assumed this classification to be correct until I spoke to Gas Safe to confirm. I was told that, assuming the appliance passes all servicing and inspections, it can be classed as NCS as long as it was installed before 1996. Needless to say, the fella confirmed to me that it was installed in 1984.

Can somebody please confirm this for me as at present I don't have access to any literature to check myself (hence me ringing gas safe).

Many thanks for any help.

Martin

Are gas safe signing the paperwork with their name on it for a landlord cert??

No, British Gas have signed the cert as it was done by them. They classed it as AR but didn't isolate the appliance and apparantly told the tennants they would be back to do this unless the landlord changes the boiler???

Gas Safe only told me their take on it over the phone, nothing more.

H4S is right. I'm Gas Registered & do lots of Gas Safety Records for landlords. Unless I had evidence that the thing was put in before the magic date I'd fill out the AR form stating the rules about why it isn't allowed (for a later one) along with "No evidence of installation date".
Someobody's say-so on a date, won't stand up in court. AR means it should be turned off, with the landlord's permisson. It's a nasty (untechnical term) situation anyway, because there must be a permanent, correctly sized vent for fresh air, and people are always blocking them. If the landlord insists, and puts it in writing, then I'd still formally recommend that he does not use it, and tell im that if he does, he should fit a carbon monoxide detector, though they can go wrong.
Make the landlord feel the responsibility for the old heap of an appliance, which might kill someone... He's been advised, it's HIS decision.

Thanks for the responses everyone. snowhead, you have provided me with exactly what I was after. I just couldn't find that on the GS website for some reason.

PeteWalker, I too am a GS engineer, although I don't do that many landlord certs. I have however come across a couple of back boilers that were sooted up to high heaven due to blocked ventilation and poor combustion. Both were replaced under my guidance so I completely agree with your point. I just wanted clarification as to what the classification should be and what the GSR state.

Many thanks guys

edited the post as the document answers the question

Last edited:
Gas safe have misinterpreted the regulations. Because the room has changed to a bedroom by the landlord since the date.

so I hope we are now saying its ID as it probably hasnt got an oxygen depletion device on the fire/boilerif its less than 12.7kw net and cant be used if its over 12.7kw net. And fm what Ive read the landlord had nothing to do with it becoming a bedroom, so he isnt to blame and could insist its returned to its primary use.

so I hope we are now saying its ID as it probably hasnt got an oxygen depletion device on the fire/boilerif its less than 12.7kw net and cant be used if its over 12.7kw net. And fm what Ive read the landlord had nothing to do with it becoming a bedroom, so he isnt to blame and could insist its returned to its primary use.

I hope qualified guys AREN'T saying its ID, because it is AR,
Our opinion on its level of safety doesn't come into it, I appreciate "engineering judgement" is called into play at times, but this exact scenario is covered in TB001 and is AR,
Back to basics guys ID is where we KNOW there is threat to life, an OF appliance in a room will not definitely kill you if t you remove the couch and fit a bed

In rented accommodation if living-room with back boiler converted to bedroom after 31st Oct 1998 then it is AR.
If converted to bedroom before this date then NCS as long as all checks are good.

The question is how do you prove when converted to bedroom? So would always be AR in my opinion.

AR or ID are you willing to 'put your name to something that doesnt come under common sense nowadays. It will soon pop up to ID status once a couple of bods dont wake up. Personally Id would tell the landlord it needs sorting now, and cap it, then if kirkie wants to pop down and reconnect, I'll forward a contact number. I wouldnt sleep in a room in that situation nowadays. But thats my personal opinion - and its my arse, especially if a jackdaw decides to take up residence in the chimney, which they do for a past time in my area, especially when the cowls get a bit old and dodgy and the seagulls whip them off. I have had to deal with 2 cases like this in recent years with blocked flues, so I wont accept it as an ncs or ar and after all every time you call gas safe , they tell you its the engineers descition on the spot dont they!

AR/ID the required result is to turn off the appliance, but one form allows the user to turn it back on!! So my attitude to prevent this is to cap and go, with an ID to support me. If they refused to turn it off for an AR then what, its you that gets the accusing finger if things go pearshaped and youd be guilty in some eyes so would you be happy to walk away? As it a landlord issue, then not doing anything isnt deemed acceptable either is it. So in my simple mind it needs capping based on dates given and sorting, may not be as per written regs, but gas safe wont support you either way imho and your the one there and the one who'll be blamed longterm.

Last edited by a moderator:
AR or ID are you willing to 'put your name to something that doesnt come under common sense nowadays. It will soon pop up to ID status once a couple of bods dont wake up. Personally Id would tell the landlord it needs sorting now, and cap it, then if kirkie wants to pop down and reconnect, I'll forward a contact number. I wouldnt sleep in a room in that situation nowadays. But thats my personal opinion - and its my arse, especially if a jackdaw decides to take up residence in the chimney, which they do for a past time in my area, especially when the cowls get a bit old and dodgy and the seagulls whip them off. I have had to deal with 2 cases like this in recent years with blocked flues, so I wont accept it as an ncs or ar and after all every time you call gas safe , they tell you its the engineers descition on the spot dont they!

AR/ID the required result is to turn off the appliance, but one form allows the user to turn it back on!! So my attitude to prevent this is to cap and go, with an ID to support me. If they refused to turn it off for an AR then what, its you that gets the accusing finger if things go pearshaped and youd be guilty in some eyes so would you be happy to walk away? As it a landlord issue, then not doing anything isnt deemed acceptable either is it. So in my simple mind it needs capping based on dates given and sorting, may not be as per written regs, but gas safe wont support you either way imho and your the one there and the one who'll be blamed longterm.

I don't disagree with your good intentions, but you don't have the authority to class it as ID, its a documented scenario and is AR, there is no leeway for engineering judgement, its AR all day long and won't be on when I leave it, " it's roasting in here mate, sorry for using your gas to check it, is it ok if I turn it off while I go over the report with you as there a couple of things not right" that's me asked for and got permission, they sign my sheet or I record "tenant refused to sign" then I'm straight onto the landlord to advise, I will NOT go to jail for these actions, no matter what happens, because I have complied with their rules they cannot convict me of anything or every gas engineer in the land would be at risk ( excuse the pun)

Lame, it won't escalate to ID if someone does not take my advice and continues to use the appliance, my paperwork tells them it is an offence to continue to use and if someone gets hurt they could be liable to prosecution, and it won't be me who gets prosecuted, there are documented cases where someone has been injured using an AR appliance and the engineer didn't get convicted of anything, they cannot convict him or the system would be at fault, but my arris is well and truly covered in fully completed accurate and recorded paperwork

hear where your coming from, but I dont ever want to be in the position of seeing a kid killed due to a stupid parent, when its avoidable, and if you call gsr they always tell you its your call, your the one on the ground, so getting it "wrong" isnt an issue in my mind, and we can argue this one till the cows come home, if its off for AR then ID ing it and capping it is a no brainer in my southern mind, butr feel free to forward your number and I'll pass it on as down where I am is flat/hovel city being a seaside town full of brums/liverpudlians on holiday and this is a common one. So if its me its capped and no choice, not had gas safe kicking my butt yet and the landlords cant argue as its an issue they have to deal with anyhow.

I Support what Lame is saying, let Gas safe send out one of their inspectors and put his name on the certificate, they wont commit to anything ! always put it on the back of the installer, and no doubt will be looking for a scapegoat if there is an incident.

Definitely AR, can't be ID unless it is spilling POC or leaking gas.

hear where your coming from, but I dont ever want to be in the position of seeing a kid killed due to a stupid parent, when its avoidable, and if you call gsr they always tell you its your call, your the one on the ground, so getting it "wrong" isnt an issue in my mind, and we can argue this one till the cows come home, if its off for AR then ID ing it and capping it is a no brainer in my southern mind, butr feel free to forward your number and I'll pass it on as down where I am is flat/hovel city being a seaside town full of brums/liverpudlians on holiday and this is a common one. So if its me its capped and no choice, not had gas safe kicking my butt yet and the landlords cant argue as its an issue they have to deal with anyhow.

Yes we can argue all day about it, won't change the fact that I'm complying with the Regs and you are acting outwith them haha

Simple

A.R it, then with the gas users permission turn off the appliance,, and cap it off.

The paperwork matches the Regs, you've just gone a bit further.

Even though Kirk is right we all want what Lame said to be right, don't we :)

Pretty much. I hate AR why not have not to current standards and fail would make life alot easier.

I would do as Kirk says get all the paperwork signed turn off not cap and advise on the cp12 what needs to be done. Its then up to the landlord. The company I used to work with got investigated not for a death but a potential CO incedent I think it was a flue in a void no hatches no visual signs but a twin flue not sealed properley. Landlord refused CO detectors so it got put down as AR showed them the correct paperwork and that was the end of it. Dont know what happened to the landlord hope he got screwed.

The rules/regs are there to be followed and wither you agree with them or not you should not be making up your own as you go along.
This is an AR situation at very most and to make it ID and cap off does not make you the better engineer. Especially if someone gets job after you and reconnects supply and leaves AR.

What next? Are you going to ID for having 85% of required combustion ventilation?

Follow the regs to best of your knowledge, if unsure seek assistance. Fully explain the situation to responsible person and get paperwork signed. Leave as the regs dictate.
You have done your job!

The rules/regs are there to be followed and wither you agree with them or not you should not be making up your own as you go along.
This is an AR situation at very most and to make it ID and cap off does not make you the better engineer. Especially if someone gets job after you and reconnects supply and leaves AR.

What next? Are you going to ID for having 85% of required combustion ventilation?

Follow the regs to best of your knowledge, if unsure seek assistance. Fully explain the situation to responsible person and get paperwork signed. Leave as the regs dictate.
You have done your job!

whether or not you think Im wrong in this situation doesnt affect my decitions in this sort of situation, As gsr helpline will tell you, your there your decision, I would decide to cap it as there are too many variables ie landlord and tenants. If you wanted to come along and reconnect a setup like this then AR it, you would need your head examined as you would be setting up an unsafe situation, so think on on that one. We can all agree to disagree, in the end its your own assessment of the situation and you cant be faulted for being too safe only unsafe, so lets get realistic here and stop being prissy beggars and make sure we dont advice beople to set up an unsafe situation like you suggest! You know my feelings on this one so Im out of here now.

It's all very well saying that you will cap off an AR situation but the guidelines stipulate that it can only be done with the permission of the responsible person. You now need to explain to them why the back boiler that has been working fine for 20 years and still appears to be working fine is now immediately dangerous.

As long as you stick to the regs you are covered. Just make sure that you get people to sign everything and explain the possible consequences should they continue to use the appliance.

I'm all for gas safety but I need to make a living and getting a reputation as that bloke that keeps disconnecting stuff when it's not necessary doesn't help my cash flow.

People are in danger of putting their underpants on over their trousers and starring in the new super hero movie - Captain Over Zealous.

The real point is that you acknowledge the issue wether AR or ID and inform and address the issue with cust because i can tell you now the way this industry is at the moment i reckon a good percentage of gas engineers would not even recognise the issue and crack on and service it.

some of the stuff i'm seeing at the moment is horrific

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back boiler in bedroom? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock