Search the forum,

Discuss Back boiler in bedroom? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all very well saying that you will cap off an AR situation but the guidelines stipulate that it can only be done with the permission of the responsible person. You now need to explain to them why the back boiler that has been working fine for 20 years and still appears to be working fine is now immediately dangerous.

You have to explain why it's At Risk (of being a danger) to get permission to turn it off for A.R.

The phrase Immediately Dangerous doesn't need to come into the conversation as it's not appropriate.

You have to explain why it's At Risk (of being a danger) to get permission to turn it off for A.R.

The phrase Immediately Dangerous doesn't need to come into the conversation as it's not appropriate.

If immediately dangerous doesn't come into the conversation neither should capping off as it is not the appropriate action for an AR appliance. My point was that if you are saying it should be capped off you are implying that it is ID.

You don't need permission to turn it off under AR. You only turn it off at the customer control, or maybe the electrical isolation, apply the paperwork, and the client then decides whether to continue to use it.

You need permission to disconnect.

ID or AR it won't be used. Lets look at it on a legal position. Your standing in court in front of some smart arse barrister; he questions you on your actions in ID'ing the BBU in a bedroom, then throws the IUSSP in your face and says that you are not competent because the industry procedure says this is AR, so why did you say it was ID. Credibility undermined round 1 to the accused.

ID or AR it won't be used. Lets look at it on a legal position. Your standing in court in front of some smart arse barrister; he questions you on your actions in ID'ing the BBU in a bedroom, then throws the IUSSP in your face and says that you are not competent because the industry procedure says this is AR, so why did you say it was ID. Credibility undermined round 1 to the accused.

Exactly my view point on this, if I comply with THEIR regs I cannot be held accountable or their system is at fault and that won't be allowed to happen.
Ok as mrs T says perhaps we want a reg change but until that happens I'm using their rules and won't be held as incompetent for choosing what regs I comply with and what regs I change to suit my opinion

You don't need permission to turn it off under AR. You only turn it off at the customer control, or maybe the electrical isolation, apply the paperwork, and the client then decides whether to continue to use it.

You need permission to disconnect.

Are you sure about this statement?

Isn't there a silly rule that if someone is using the room as a bedroom due to serious illness (unable to go upstairs, etc...) that it's only NCS instead of AR as well? Or am I thinking of something else?

Isn't there a silly rule that if someone is using the room as a bedroom due to serious illness (unable to go upstairs, etc...) that it's only NCS instead of AR as well? Or am I thinking of something else?

in other words you saw one today in this scenario and put ncs

Bewsh, can't say I have heard of that. On the topic if a boiler was installed before 1996 in a bedroom it's NCS. If room has changed use post 1996, then it can have a cupboard built around it with adequate ventilation and a FSD fitted. However I believe this may just reduce the classification to NCS.

Regarding classification if a boiler is AR, unless the customer complains, it goes off, on the spur, with their permission. Fill out your paperwork and notify the customer not to turn it on until rectification work has been carried out. When an ID is issued, regardless of the customers feelings, the boiler is off and supply is cut and capped. When in that situation and the customer flatly refuses and gets aggressive, I would report the job and details to my company, fill out the paperwork and if self employed notify gas safe.

i don't believe you can over classify, you have to look after your own a### it's your job, your livelihood. I would rather ID a job, safe in the knowledge I can sleep well and the customer is also going to wake up in the morning.

So with that said I would still AR the baxi Bermuda. I know your friend did not change the use of the room, but as a landlord I would demand they change it back.

Just had a look in a corgi unsafe-sits book and it says that if the living room is temporarily used as a bedroom due to ill health then the open flued appliance may be classified as NCS, but with additional measures recommended, eg CO alarm.

And I agree, you won't get in trouble for over-classifying an unsafe situation, but you will be in trouble if you under-classify it and something happens. But that said, if the regs state it's AR and you've gone through the correct procedure then if something was to happen to someone in that room, you could not be blamed for it.

Exactly, it's all about looking after number one, that way the customers are looked after also.

Exactly, it's all about looking after number one, that way the customers are looked after also.

I appreciate that you are looking out for number 1 but this is a no brainer really as its in black and white. Would you ar a cooker with no chain to look after yourself. would you ID a flue that is not clipped but in perfectly good order. No so why do that on this. You carry out your checks if it passes everything else visually inspect the termination of the flue to make sure it is still there so no little birdies can make a nice warm home in it. Then explain the issues with the tenant stating that the boiler is at risk due to blah blah then the landlord and say the same again and let him turn round to the tenant and say that they should not be sleeping in the lounge.

I have had this twice in the last couple of years always followed that and never had a sleepless night nor worried about it not even when somebody else went and turned it back on with out even noting it as I had the correct paper work all signed. If you want to be extra safe take a time stamped photo with the at risk sticker and paper work next to it just to prove you did all that.

This is going on, and on, and on.
It is black and white!
The appliance is leaking gas or spilling combustion fumes into the property.....this is ID! You cap off with permission.
A back boiler in a bedroom that is working perfectly safely while you are present is at the very worst going to be AR. You ask permission to switch off the appliance, get paperwork signed, fully explain the potential dangers, sell them a CO alarm.
Job done!

tongue in cheek note but those that can Do, those that cant teach and those that cant teach, teach PE

All I remember from the navy training is the PTIs screaming "THIS POSITION READY" and then making us do some more tortuous exercises. When one finshed for the morning my query of " I bet your missus loves you of an evening, this position ready, and one and two and three" earned me a lot more exercising practice, no sense of humour with PTIs :)

Last edited by a moderator:
tongue in cheek note but those that can Do, those that cant teach and those that cant teach, teach PE

Or the way I look at it now, I've been carrying ( cast iron to start with) baths and radiators up 3 flights of stairs for over 30 yrs, so I think its time I described how to do it rather than actually do it, oh and did I mention I started 8 weeks or so holiday last week?

Or the way I look at it now, I've been carrying ( cast iron to start with) baths and radiators up 3 flights of stairs for over 30 yrs, so I think its time I described how to do it rather than actually do it, oh and did I mention I started 8 weeks or so holiday last week?

took you a while to see the light then:)

Sorry to add more!
Just thinking about your customer's point of view:

I think AR & ID sound like more or less the same thing when you explain it to the end user (to anyone who is not a gas engineer) - OMG this fire could ill me.

HSE expect Landlords to read their website.
Gas safety - landlords and letting agents
It says:
Can a room containing a gas appliance still be used as a bedroom?

Since 31 October 1998, any room converted to use as sleeping accommodation should not contain the following types of gas appliances:

1. A gas fire, gas space heater or a gas water heater (including a gas boiler) over 14 kilowatts gross input unless it is room sealed.
  2. A gas fire, gas space heater, or a gas water heater (including a gas boiler) of 14 kilowatts gross input or less or any instantaneous water heater unless it is room sealed or has an atmosphere-sensing device.
If a room contains one or more of the above appliances and was used as a bedroom prior to 1998 then you will need to do a risk assessment to determine if it can still be used as a bedroom. If you are unsure of the safety of any gas appliance you should get a Gas Safe registered engineer to check it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back boiler in bedroom? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock