Discuss Old Style Cast Iron Rads hot at top cold / cool at bottom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, thanks for all the replies so far, I must admit I am a little confused, perhaps I need some clarification before ripping my pipework appart :)

If the flow coming in at the bottom is the issue, how would changing it to the top make the water flow through all the styles as opposed to just one ? where does the resistance to the other styles come in to play ?

I'm greatful for the advice but would just like to understand this before going any further.

Thanks again.

Ron.

My understanding is this:
Both flow and return at the top is an absolute no no. Flow at bottom and return at top (your current set up) is not great.
Flow at top and return at bottom is OK. Both flow and return at bottom is best.

I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong.

WHPES was thinking you had said the flow was coming in the bottom and the return at the top. They won't work worth a jot like that.

Bottom opposite ends are fine. Top bottom opposite ends work a bit better though (flow at the top, return at the bottom opposite end)

If you have currently set up your cast iron rads with flow at bottom and out at the top, can you switch round the pipework somewhere? (NOT by using flexi connectors that is!!)

The radiator in your photo has a connection at the top which is why I made my post!

The style of cast iron rads in your photo do not work that well with flow and return both at the bottom because of the design of the columns. They are best in at top out at bottom.

Last edited:
Hi again,

Thanks for the clarifications. The photo I posted was a picture of the type of rads I have but not the actual ones - it was just for illustrative purposes.

My rads do have one connection top and one connection bottom though, just like the one in the pic. As mentioned, on most flow is at the bottom with return at the top.

Regarding switching them around we have no access to under the floor boards as the original boards are covered with 18mm solid oak. I may have access to one or two rads downstairs via a trap door so may be able to try those. One idea would be to rotate the rads and extend / cut down the piping on each respective side.

With the weather being so cold I cant chance a drain down right now just in case I dont finish by nightfall so may have to wait for milder weather.

Just as a sanity check - to determine flow and return without disconnecting, I take it the hotter side is flow right ?

Thanks again.

Ron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old Style Cast Iron Rads hot at top cold / cool at bottom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I'm planning on replacing a couple of rads soon as they are far too small for the size of the room causing the room to take an age to heat...
Replies
Views
New double panel column radiator Cold Turned off all rads not helped Checked trv pin seems fine Locksheild i think is ok see pic sttached...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, We had all the rads replaced in the spring. They had this issue from day one but, tbh, I thought once they start getting used in the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi all, I had my new boiler and 13 radiators installed in July last year, but since installed all the radiators always top half hot and bottom...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice so I can try and save a bit of money this winter (especially considering the new prices!) I have an...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock