Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss old radiator pipework found in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beakhouse

Hi there, I want to add a new radiator to my house, I was going to make the necessary plumbing via connections to an existing radiator.

However, I had a look under the floorboards and found a "spare" radiator pipe (at least it has a rad connection at the end). So, I thought great, I can use that. Then I thought, hang on, there is only one pipe. I traced it back to a central pipe, there is no return and I can't see any evidence of there ever being one.

Would a raditor ever work if I connected it to this pipe? There is no return.
What could have been connected to it?
Can I just add a return to the central pipe?
Or should I just extend the pipework from the existing rad I metioned?

Thanks for the advice.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: old pipework found

if its live you can use it and take another to the other central pipe

Hey Buddy,
you need to check if your heating system is a 1 pipe system or a 2 pipe system.
if its a 2 pipe system just take a pipe off the other pipe so it can make a circuit.

Happy Plumbing:)

Before you connect anything you need to be sure what the pipework is. Just because its got a rad valve at the end doesn't mean its a heating pipe, i've seen rad valves use as stop ends and drain offs before. Trace pipework back to be sure where it comes from.

Thank you all for your advice. I have considered it, had a looked at the pipework again and now know exactly what to do. Thanks again

Cheers

Rich

I added the return, fired up the boiler and the radiator comes up nice and hot, thanks again, you guys really helped me.

Cheers

Richard

hi i changed an old rad from the bathroom but now if i put just hot water on the heating comes on can someone advice me whats wrong its an old heating with back boiler and i cant find the diverter valve anywhere.thanks

regards
Imran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to old radiator pipework found in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock