Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Rayburn 480 kb balanced flue high CO in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hotandcold1

Any advice much Appreiciated.
I was called to Rayburn 480kb its Eco Flam >2001
customer complaining about fumes smell lock out. I Serviced and set up as below after
Striping cooker burner and adjusted setting No signs of damage in chamber replaced new burner seals flue readings i now set to
02---6
Co---16ppm
Co2 ---11%
xs air 40.3
so I'm relatively happy with that.

Secondly I
Stripped out boiler burner
all appears fine but exceptionally high co in flue gasses? indicating air deficiency yet combustion is set at
02---6.3
Co---289!
Co2 10.8%
xs air 43.00
oil pump pressure is fine there are no signs of blockages in flue and its twin head burner so fuel contamination could also be ruled out

Had a similar issue years ago when a farmer was burning red diesel
but this is not the case.

its doing my head in what am i missing ???

There's a miserable old ex matelot pops in on the odd occasion who does a lot with these things. I'll see if I can get him to take a butchers at this thread.

There's a miserable old ex matelot pops in on the odd occasion who does a lot with these things. I'll see if I can get him to take a butchers at this thread.

Happy now, doing a 3 day week

Don't take offense, but in servicing this little wonder have had all the boiler baffles out and cleaned em up, I go to a lot of these where they have been serviced and the baffles have never seen the light of day as they are a pig to get out, especially the lefthand ones even with the wonderous tool supplied by rayburn.

other little issue is the insulation regularly gets snaffled by mice, which then gets sucked into the air inlets, worth stripping out all the air pipe work, fan and feed to burner to ensures its clear, been caught on that one before.

Other one, leave the baffles out and have a peak at the flame picture, burner pump pressure can be a bit high and flame inpingement sets in, especially on the older style 480s which have a nicely hidden pressure adjuster just for the boiler side fm memory, one of them had me revisiting on numerous occassions, the ecoflams dont suffer that one.

double check your baffles have been re installed the right way round, and give it a good 15 min run and see if it settles, I tend to leave these at the lower CO2 setting as any higher and you get nice yellow flame at times and loads of impingement.

Seems a bit odd to have low co2 as you have and a high ppm on co, i would go for a bit more air for a bit and see if things settle. Just remember the gas boys tech notes say if co levels are less than 350ppm and co/co2 ratio below .004 its a safe boiler!

Any advice much Appreiciated.
I was called to Rayburn 480kb its Eco Flam >2001
customer complaining about fumes smell lock out. I Serviced and set up as below after
Striping cooker burner and adjusted setting No signs of damage in chamber replaced new burner seals flue readings i now set to
02---6
Co---16ppm
Co2 ---11%
xs air 40.3
so I'm relatively happy with that.

Secondly I
Stripped out boiler burner
all appears fine but exceptionally high co in flue gasses? indicating air deficiency yet combustion is set at
02---6.3
Co---289!
Co2 10.8%
xs air 43.00
oil pump pressure is fine there are no signs of blockages in flue and its twin head burner so fuel contamination could also be ruled out

Had a similar issue years ago when a farmer was burning red diesel
but this is not the case.

its doing my head in what am i missing ???

Thanks all for your advice much appreciated.
I can see there is some good knowledge on this forum.

Just Happy
Its all sorted now took the thing to bits again! I had obvoiusly checked and scraped baffles and cleaned chamber before posting for help and yes they had never been out before.
It looks like the flue way after the combustion chamber was at fault its about two foot long running at the back of the rayburn. although the is inaccessible i managed to feed a hose pipe attached to a vacuum around the corner to clean although you can't asses or see this part of a rayburn this was partially blocked.

Siting pretty when I left at 36 ppm CO
Beer time and sleep easy now

I had a dead mouse in a Rayburn combustion chamber once. It was giving weird readings on the meter and I didnt discover the problem until I opened up to have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil Rayburn 480 kb balanced flue high CO in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Called out to a customer with a Trianco TRO 12-14 boiler, has been cutting out. Burner is the old "upside down" Bentone electro oil type Did the usual service and tried to fire it up. Smoke high. Opened air plate to get smoke down. CO2 to about 6%, but Carbon Monoxide at over 1,000ppm...
Replies
Views
P
Right, I am at my wits end. Firstly I cannot find a plumber who will come and commission my new ST40 NuWay oil burner fitted to my Range Cooker. They all throw their hands up and say - ooohhhh noo, that's special, or I'm busy, or 'has it been installed by an OFTEC engineer" Well, it hasn't. It...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock