Search the forum,

Discuss novice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dara

hi all..took apart a shower today,for re tiling,used a plastic push on stop end onto a 15 mm copper pipe for the power shower turned the water back on it was leaking.. probably something obvious but would appreciate advice..

did you push it on far enough? take if off and refit!

is the pipe chrome? you cant put a pushfit on chrome pipe

is the pipe got a clean cut?

is the washer damaged on the pushfit?

Try a different stop end? Re-cut the pipe? Try a compression fitting instead?

Hello Dara,
how clean was the copper, was the fitting new, was it complety pushed on?

Look at that ... 3 responses in 2 minutes ... who says it takes ages to get a plumber to help out?

its copper.. possibly not the straighest cut il check that tomorrow.. dont think its damaged just bought from builders yard,was cheap Ā£1.50.. would a copper one be better?

compression is probably the same nut you undone in order to remove the shower from the water main!

just check the pipework is clean, it has a nice clean cut (preferably with slicers), the pushfit is ALL the way in, helps to lubricate the rubber

whats a compression fitting?

comp.png

One of these (or similar).

Cut the copper pipe with pipe cutters, NOT a hacksaw, debur the cut end. Hold the stop end over the pipe and mark full slip with a marker pen. Ensure that the pipe is clean and that the cut end has no burs or sharp edges. Push the fitting partially onto the pipe, then push it fully home. Give it a slight pull to tighten the internal grab ring onto the pipe.
If you use plastic pipe, use the correct insert.

how difficult are they to fit bearing in mind my previous question..lol

was'nt joking when i said i knew nothing bout plumbing
Then, why on earth did you attempt to take a shower apart for tiling? DIY isn't always the answer and this proves it I think! A plumber would have carried this out for you quickly and efficiently and left it both leak free and problem free. Sadly your actions have achieved neither.

Get a plumber in pal and do it right instead of fluffing around with things you don't understand.

Then, why on earth did you attempt to take a shower apart for tiling? DIY isn't always the answer and this proves it I think! A plumber would have carried this out for you quickly and efficiently and left it both leak free and problem free. Sadly your actions have achieved neither.

Get a plumber in pal and do it right instead of fluffing around with things you don't understand.
yippee :)

I'm guessing the conex and olive are still on the feed - stopping the pushfit stop end from going on as far as it should.

I thought this, since the very first post I made, and then thought, nah cant be ... but then again, when he said whats a compression fitting, maybe ur right!

I'm guessing the conex and olive are still on the feed - stopping the pushfit stop end from going on as far as it should.[/QUOTE

Hope he has wrapped ptfe around the olive before pushing the push fit cap end on !!

It annoys me when people who have absolutely no knowledge or clue about what they are doing take something to bits just to save a few quid and then expect our knowledge to help to put it all back together again for free. It costs people more to fix their mistakes than get a plumber in which they should have done in the first place.

We're plumbers with bills to pay same as everyone else, not a charity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excuse me!
I thought that I was the resident bad cop on this forum this month, (oh and last month too).

If you can do it, B&Q it.
If you can't, pay someone who can!

It annoys me when people who have absolutely no knowledge or clue about what they are doing take something to bits just to save a few quid and then expect our knowledge to help to put it all back together again for free. It costs people more to fix their mistakes than get a plumber in which they should have done in the first place.

We're plumbers with bills to pay same as everyone else, not a charity.

You did just give him a step by step guide of how to do it :lipsrsealed2:

You did just give him a step by step guide of how to do it :lipsrsealed2:
I described how to put on a push fit cap, which is so easy my kids could do it, but only when I read his post fully did I realise he'd dismantled his shower without knowing what he was doing.

If all of the above doesn't work for you I'd suggest soldering the push fit cap on, making sure you wipe it clean once it's cooled down as the flux will damage the fitting.

If all of the above doesn't work for you I'd suggest soldering the push fit cap on, making sure you wipe it clean once it's cooled down as the flux will damage the fitting.
LMAO But as well as flooding his house, he can now burn it down as well.....

And if as system3 says, if it comes to the point where you find yourself standing outside your house staring at an blazing mess don't call 999 battle the inferno yourself, if you have no luck doing this then quickly join ukfirefightingforum and ask for advice....

But seriously if that ever did happen call 999 right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to novice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock