Search the forum,

Discuss Notching in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmonster

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

i would like to know how much i can notch into the joists running 22mm pipes.

the joist size is 7" X 2".

am i OK to use the talon clips as in pics as this would require me to go notch at least 50mm x 75mm or should i go for nail on clips which are more shallow
thanks.

DSC_0546.jpg
DSC_0545.jpg

nail ons with rap to stop squeaking and 1/8th the depth and for holes from center 1/4

builing regs say 1/8th so
175mm/8 =21.8mm
nail clips or nothing

also is that an outside wall?

also is that an outside wall?

thanks for the replies..

yes, outside wall which will be part of a kitchen extension.

21.88 will obviously be not enough......

when you say 1/4 from center, do mean 1 quarter of an inch?

thanks for the replies..

yes, outside wall which will be part of a kitchen extension.

21.88 will obviously be not enough......

when you say 1/4 from center, do mean 1 quarter of an inch?

1/4 of the total depth for a hole needs to be in the center tho

but the problem your going to get due to outside wall need need to take the span into it

notching%20of%20joists.jpg

the notch already there looks sufficient size anyway??

Why do you need to clip the pipes anyhow? If they are heating pipes they will not be going anywhere once you join them all up, - so temporary clips would suffice if you really need.
If they have to be clipped well, then you could put timber between the joists, at correct depth to suit clips.

I don't use clips in notches, I just wrap them. Follow the above guide for depths etc

The old central heating system was run with 15mm. I think I'll leave out the clips as if I notch another couple mm it will be enough for the pipes to sit nicely.

Thank you all for you replies... Much appreciated :)

Not being funny, but if we all followed the building regs to the word then we would not be able to install a system or notch anywhere lol! Like the above example which came out at 21.8mm lol!!

Never seen talons fitted in a notch! Use nails on where needed...

Not being funny, but if we all followed the building regs to the word then we would not be able to install a system or notch anywhere lol! Like the above example which came out at 21.8mm lol!!

so you can notch them for a 22mm pipe with clearance just :)

A 22mm pipe with fittings & wrap ain't gonna fit in a 21.8mm notch surely lol?? Creaky floorboard anyone :p

well who says your tape is dead on im sure you could get it to 25mm quiet easy :D

A couple of strokes with half round rasp would allow for pipe + wrap and locate pipe in notch eliminating need for clips. If clips are specified, then use open type fixed to 50 X 38 timber screwed to side of joist.

Agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Notching in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock