Search the forum,

Discuss non return valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starbs

Morning all I fitted an en-suite in a loft conversion a month of so ago and the customer has just started to use it now works completed in the rest of the conversion. They have contacted me to say they have a bit of an issue when they use the hand basin cold tap as in they get a nice pocket or (cough) of air delivered out the tap before any water is drawn off, would I be right in saying a non return valve will cure this? All the other taps are ok so ive been informed (both bath taps) and hot on basin. I did think about putting the NRV on the cold supply pipe upto the loft or would it be better placed near the basin tap?

thoughts please cheers in advance

Once water is drawn thru the taps the air will disappear its due to new pipework tell your customer to run the taps for a few minutes it should clear the air

And to be honest you should have done this before handing it over

cheers for your comment I did run the tap for a while and it did cough out the initially and clear but its been reported to me that its a continual issue every time they turn on the tap, hense me asking if fitting a NRV will stop the water in the system draining back down as this is what I believe may be
happening

I may be wrong but if you have air locks there could be a leak somewhere

Is the pressure on bolier holding?

What kind of hot water system is it ,,, i presume its gravity going by symptoms , if its gravity it might be WHERE youve drawn the hot connection at thats causing this especially if your too high where head of pressure is low and they draw off water downstairs is when this can occur,

What kind of hot water system is it ,,, i presume its gravity going by symptoms , if its gravity it might be WHERE youve drawn the hot connection at thats causing this especially if your too high where head of pressure is low and they draw off water downstairs is when this can occur,

Soz read your thread wrong thought u said hot tap MY BAD I NEED TO GO TO

SAVERS

Whats the cold main pressure like as unusual for this mains, mind u our mains can be as high as 10bar just outside town,

Thing is Kris he's asking is a check valve will sort the air gaps and it won't will it????

I may be wrong but if you have air locks there could be a leak somewhere

Is the pressure on bolier holding?

I know andy remember the boiler pressure if its a combi has nothing to do with cold apart from filling ,
It depends if his tap is spitting air or suckin air for a start, you said a leak but even with a leak there would always be pressure behind the supply not allowing the level in the pipework to drop, unless :smile5: poor pressure, thats why i wonder if its mains or tank fed, or an aerated spout gone mental,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I know andy remember the boiler pressure if its a combi has nothing to do with cold apart from filling ,
It depends if his tap is spitting air or suckin air for a start, you said a leak but even with a leak there would always be pressure behind the supply not allowing the level in the pipework to drop, unless :smile5: poor pressure, thats why i wonder if its mains or tank fed, or an aerated spout gone mental,,,,
your logic is sound. I am thinking along the exact same lines given the original post. To know for sure what may be causing it would take a visit, to give a more accurate guess would need much more thorough, detailed and precise information regarding the install.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the response guys a bit more background on the install as follows the water pressure in the house is poor this is a supply fault from the mains. There is no CWSC so water supplied to the loft is from the mains not a header tank. The install has been pressure tested and there where no leaks. Mt thinking was that if the draw water off in the family bathroom this will possibly drain water from the pipe work in the loft conversions en-suite hense me thinking fitting a NRV would stop this drain down happening

it may work, fitting a low pressure swing valve. Prob would be better to repipe if possible and if water pressure is that poor fit a pump on the cold main?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to non return valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have had an ongoing issue with low hot water temperatures in a school. During the recent repair of a leak, the plumbers isolated the hot water to fit a new bit of pipework and found that water wouldn't stop running until the cold boosted water was also isolated. Given this, it would seem...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
The discharge hose from our washing machine comes out of the machine, runs about five feet along the floor under the work surface and then goes vertically up under the sink where it joins the sink discharge pipe. Every time we empty the sink, the water often goes back down the hose and even...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by local authority. I had no say in who carried out the work. I have called the builder out under the guarantee several times for water leaks. The shower...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock