Discuss Nightmare toilet flusher!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linzielou

I wonder if anyone could help me / advise me on how to fix my toilet flusher. The flusher (forgotten the technical name - sorry) broke about 6 months ago. I tried to get a plumber to fix it, he came, scratched his head, took the broken part away and was never seen or heard from again. Hence I decided to try to get the part and fix it myself. Months passed before I finally got around to ordering it (luckily I have 2 toilets!!). Now it has arrived, I've fitted the part as per the instructions.....but the toilet cistern isn't filling with water. It will flush if I pour water into the cistern - so I know the flusher is working. I'm not sure if I need to replace another part (I have the full kit for inside the cistern) or if the plumber that visited previously has switched the water off within the toilet to prevent it filling, or even if something is blocked (although it all looks pretty clean and unblocked). Can anyone help?? The toilet model is a saros, its the kind with a cistern that is screwed onto the wall attached to the pan. Sorry if I don't know all the jargon - if you need to know anything else I can look in the booklet I received when I moved into the flat. :confused::confused::confused:

Hi there

I've read you're post a couple of times and it seems you have a close couple toilet (cistern bolted onto pan) and you've just fitted a new drop valve, this is the central mechanism.
Now your saying the inlet valve on the right or left side isn't filling the cistern with water but when you fill up cistern with bucket you're flush works.

Please confirm if this is correct.

You're plumber is incompetant by the way. ;)

Last edited:
Did you have water in the cistern before you replaced the syphon/drop valve? (flushing mechanism if that's what you replaced?) If so, did you turn the water off to replace it? If you did there is a chance a bit of dirt has got jammed in the ball valve/tobec valve (filling valve) when you turned the water back on. If this is the case i would recommend replacing the ball valve or stripping down valve and clearing any blockage in the valve.
If you didnt have any water in the cistern before you done your repair then trace back the cold water feed pipe (15mm copper or plastic) and see if there is any isolation valve that may of been shut off by previous numpty (sorry plumber). If none of the above are applicable try an post photos of what you have done for more advise. Hope all that makes sense.

WOW - thanks for the responses. I've checked the toilet and it is a close couple toilet. The bit that I replaced I believe is the ciphon / syphon, the bit that slots right in the middle of the cistern. I'm looking at the diagram now and its a macdee 1.5" / 2.0" cable operated dial flush outlet valve. The previous plumber had taken away the broken one, so I slotted the new one into the space and had to attach a new button in the lid and a cable to it. I didn't touch any of the other parts in the toilet cistern, just this bit. I think its called the ciphon - it has a volume swith on the side to adjust the flush level more or less and an overflow tube attached. I don't know if the cistern was full before or not as I called the plumber as soon as it stopped working without investigating whether it was full or not. I'm sure its something really simple (I hope) and will not involve me breaking any nails - ha ha! Also - no idea is this is related or not - but there was a plastic bolt left on the floor next to the pan after the plumber visit, is it possible there is a water shut off valve in here or is it a coincidence..?

Hi, if the drop valve (syphon) was out of the cistern and the water supply was turned on the water would be constantly running into the pan so you must have the water supply turned off, your plumber would have done this when he removed the valve. SO, look at the other piece of "gear" in the cistern it should be a float operated "filling" valve and it may have an integral on/off handle of some sorts. If not trace the pipework that connects to this valve and see if there is a shut off valve somewhere, often its a screwdriver operated "ballofix" valve.

I think I've managed it! I just twiddled the bit on the left (think its the inlet valve) and the toilet filled up (a bit to much initially) but after a bit of fiddling it seems to be ok..... No broken nails - yeah! :D Thanks for the help. Hopefully I won't wake up surrounded by bog water.........:eek:

Thanks guys - your all stars and have a client for life if any of you are in Manchester.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Nightmare toilet flusher!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock