Discuss new Room stat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fossil

got myself a new room stat Horstmann DRT 1 to replace the old switchmaster bellows type
it works a Potterton Netaheat electronic 10-16 , through a switchmaster 400

the control knob behind the panel is set to 2 (what does this control?)

put the new stat on this afternoon, and set it to 19.5 deg , the sign for heat comes up , the boiler kick's in for a while then off , then on , and off
what i'm asking is , should it stay on continuasly till it reaches the set temp ?

there are no thermostatic rad valves

another question ,
where is the best place for the stat?
i've read that some people have them in the hall but mine is in the sitting room, so if im in there and i shut the door the rest of the house gets colder

thanx guy's for all the information , your input to my questions was precise and to the point,

i'm sorry if my questions were a bit on the technical side but i thought this forum would be the best place to ask

put the new stat on this afternoon, and set it to 19.5 deg , the sign for heat comes up , the boiler kick's in for a while then off , then on , and off
what i'm asking is , should it stay on continuasly till it reaches the set temp ?

there are no thermostatic rad valves

any boiler will cylce on/off till it reaches room temp.
it will be the boiler stat that makes it cycle and as the pump takes the heat away from the boiler it will fire up again.

all depending on the system how it cycles. some will cycle alot due to pump speed, lazy pump, sludged system etc.

thanks for the reply sonray

it has a grundfoss three speed pump, set on speed two,
would number 1 or 3 be better ? and how does the thermostat knob ( i presume thats what it is) (set on 2, going to a max of 5) on the boiler afect things ?

and would it be worth repositioning the room stat in the hallway ?

thanx again

3 is the highest speed on the pump so technically that will take the heat away from the boiler faster. However it may make the system noisy or introduce other problems dependant on the system design. As Sonray says it is normal for old boilers to cycle. This is inefficient so modern boilers modulate the flame to meet the demand. The control on the boiler governs the temperature of the water circulating in the radiators, and therefore the amount of heat the radiators can push out. So when it is arctic outside you want it high. The positioniong of the thermostat depends on the house dynamics. A lot of houses have them in the hallway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to new Room stat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am...
Replies
Views
I have a conventional system, Potterton Prima Boiler, into a Pump into a Motorised Valve that feeds the Radiators and/or the pipes in the Hot...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know...
Replies
Views
AFAIK the boiler is set to fully pumped. (The switch inside is on fully pumped), however the pump is only running while the boiler burner is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock