Search the forum,

Discuss New Radiator in Kitchen confusion (pic included) plz help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Popz

Hi guys

Im after some advise from the experts here. In a nutshell we moved into a new house over the summer and i loved the large kitchen and adjoining conservatory. Now the cold weather has kicked in the Kitchen is unberably cold. The Dining table area has some sort of underfloor radiator (see pic below with trv poking out on right-hand side) and there is also a underfloor heating in the conservatory too but if truth be told it makes very little difference and the kitchen is freezing. I would like to get a Radiator installed in the Kitchen. I was wondering if exisiting pipework from the manifold below could be used? There was a wilo pump in there here which has been removed. So is it possible to bypass the underfloor heating somehow and just get a radiator fitted?

I wont be attempting any of this myself as i know nothing about it, but i just wanted a heads-up from the knowledgable guys here. Many thanks for reading. ALL advise etc would be greatly received.

Manifoldpic.jpg

Just for info -i currently have a Linea 24 Boiler and currently have 6 radiators small and medium sized on the system.

Thanks

I have no clue sorry, but it looks like this job should be on the thread for mickey mouse jobs IMO Good Luck

Well the underfloor certainly won't work without the pump
And what the hell Is a rad doing buried in the screed ???

Hi Gray

Thanks for your reply - im not bothered about the UFH not working. As for the buried rad - no idea... it was there before we moved in.

Well the underfloor certainly won't work without the pump
And what the hell Is a rad doing buried in the screed ???

Been thinking about this one.....has someone tried to use a TRV on the underfloor heating??

Is there definitely a rad under the screed?

I have seen small UFCH systems fitted with a Danfoss FJVR return temp limiting valve, which look a lot like a TRV. I am wondering if this is a similar thing from a different maker?

If you look behind the mystery trv there is a nut which suggested to me it could be a trv....that's all my input folk's over to you now....

Id get a hacksaw and cut all that old carp out make everything good, run a new flow and return of the nearest part of your mains and link it to your to be newly installed rad. That piework looks atrotious and id question how much life it has in it anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions - is there any way of knowing which is the flow and return in the above pic as im assuming the radiator will run off that. Also, another problem - i dont have an accessible drain off valve - its under some floorboards so any suggestions on how to drain the system would be gladly welcome. Or can we get away without draining? Sorry for the stupid questions guys..

Do any of the pipes get hot when the heating is on?
You have a drain point at the top right, but it might not be connected to anything live

i dont have an accessible drain off valve - its under some floorboards so any suggestions on how to drain the system would be gladly welcome. Or can we get away without draining? Sorry for the stupid questions guys..

A hosepipe and jubilee clip should help you out

as a guess id say the two copper pipes are the flow and return, tho if the pipes to the trv are copper then they may have to be connected from under the floor.

the conservatory should not having any heating off the houses system unless theres no doors between the two, which means you need planning permission for it from memory.

just be aware before you cut away thats a live system, so dont cut to short before you cap, ref drain down any aqua vac will do , I love my george, turn him on crack a nut on the rad and suck away no spills, just remember large double rad = 2 full georges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Radiator in Kitchen confusion (pic included) plz help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Greenstar 24i Junior combi boiler and a central heating system with a radiator in the bathroom, living room, dining room/kitchen and each of the three bedrooms. All the radiators have TRVs except the ones in the living room, dining room/kitchen and bathroom. The dining room has...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a bungalow and I am refitting my kitchen/diner. The existing radiator needs to be moved to the other end of the kitchen and replaced with a vertical radiator which I have just bought. I can do some DIY plumbing myself, but need some advice. I could reroute the pipes from the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm studying plumbing and my work mate sized the opportunity to help him installing a new radiator. I'm looking for general advice which might eliminate mistakes. It'd also help me to build a portfolio before getting a job in trade. The house is old built and the rad goes into the kitchen...
Replies
Views
C
Hello all, Like most people, I've gone to turn on my central heating after 6 months of it being off and, surprise surprise, it doesn't work. I'm trying to work out what is wrong with it myself, I enjoy the challenge and the learning process; if all fails, I can call a plumber. I have an Ideal...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock