Search the forum,

Discuss Metabo or makita Core Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gallstone

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Makita Core drill, it was the dogs balls. Brilliant bit of kit. Some git nicked it back in January. It was a big thing I know that.

I had to core cut a 100mm hole with my SDS on Thursday and I was cursing that thief every minute as the clutch kept slipping.

I can also vouch for Metabo stuff as I own a cordless drill driver, and I haven't managed to kill the thing yet, despite years of abuse. I stopped using it in Jan when I bought new tools to replace all the stuff that was nicked, I just thought sod it, I'll buy a new cordless drill. I bought top range Makita and it's ****e! All in all I've been no help have I!?

being a carpenter i can vouch for both after haveing both in some form or other and would stick to a brand to stand any chance of getting spares hope this helps plus if u wanna sell it when u up grade you will allways sell a brand rather than a unheard of make

I have had a few of the Makita ones , I find them OK but always feel they are a bit underpowered or that the clutch is set too light . A bit of damp in the brickwork and its jamming (dry coring )
I am going to try the Marcrist next

This is the best core drill you can buy for the money

DDM2 - 7700.001.001:MARCRIST-MARCRIST 7700.001.001 DDM2 Diamond Core Drilling Machine240V* 1500W

The 110v kit with the core bit set is great value as the core bit set usually sells for around £250 on its own.
Btw. Not all core bits are the same
If I was doing installs I would be looking at tamz recommendation. It is designed solely for core drilling. Never used one myself so only advising by it's reputation.
Give it a thought.

got mine today :) well impressed got the ddm2 with the kit cc850

Good choice Moony. Wait till you give it some serious work you will be even more impressed;) and the 850 cores are the best i've used (even Hiltis)

It is a beast of a machine and you get used to the weight of it.

oh its a big lad tamz - i only have to get it out of the box to realise it means business havent ried it out yet - but got a 18 inch cottage wall to drill through next week so i'll give it a go then. yeah the bits are supposed to be there top of the range - i have used them before but only for inch and a half - the 4 inch sets you back 150 quid on its own! - but ive now got an exclussive set of them so will be using them from now on.

DDM2 - 7700.001.001:MARCRIST-MARCRIST 7700.001.001 DDM2 Diamond Core Drilling Machine240V* 1500W

Is this really a good one tamz I am thinking of getting a new one as the one I got keeps jamming and nearly killing me

After you try this machine you will realise just how poor the others are. The DDM3 is better but another £200 or so dearer.
Put it on speed 2 for up to 5" cores.

It is as close to the professional machines as you will get without spending over a grand and will pay for itself in saved time.
Even has a 5 year guarantee.

sounds like its a quality machine i will probably buy it i just hope its as good as you are saying :)

I would never recommend something that wasn't up to scratch.
I've had one of these machines for about 2 years. It was recommended by the guy who lives next door to me who has a diamond drilling company (G&I diamond drilling, look them up on google). Think he was fed up sending guys to do holes for me for below cost:eek:

Through the years i have bought all the usual suspects with all their limitations and this is the only machine i have been happy with. It just does what it says on the tin. A dedicated core drilling machine. There is no chuck supplied, just a direct fit 1/2" or 1 1/14" (like hilti) thread for the cores.
I do at least 2 installs a week in all types of properties from 3 bed semi's to Edinburgh new town houses (30" through craigleith stone, look that one up too) and it is a dream to use.
If you do buy it you will not be disapointed.

I think i should get a job as a sales rep! The money is sh..e though:D

thanks for info I will buy one then if you are saying they are that good

so, for the price or overall these are better than the b&b dewalt at £600?

the adverts confusing as they are diferent prices with or without the cores.

what about the sparky in skrufix at £180?

Redsaw

I don't know how good the £600 Dewalt is as i have never seen one. It may be good enough but how many professional diamond drillers would use one? Also it won't take 1 1/4" threaded cores.

I know the Marcrist and it was recommended to me by a diamond driller as the best hand held for the money. It is a similar machine to the ones they use (can't remember the make but i'll find out).

I paid around £420 for my one 2 years ago complete with 117 and 48mm 850 cores. The link i posted above was the cheapest i could find and the 110v kit with the core set is brilliant value.

sparky in screw fix is the worst corer you will ever usen if you got half a brain do not buy

3/4 of a brain get the dewalt haha

used it today (ddm2) its a dream - quite heavy compared to my old one but seemed more comfortable - the 850 bits seem loads better to what i was using before too

if this core drill doesnt have a chuck does it still get stuck and try to spin and **** your wrist up

Interesting read. I have been using the Bosch GSB 21-2 RE 1100W for a few months and it just isn't up to job when core drilling. The clutch kicks in constantly. Took best part of a hour to go through a double brick wall the other day which was the final straw. So for the drill and core kit recommended here your looking at £470? is that what you paid moony/tamz?

I paid around £420 but put a link earlier to a better deal complete with 850 dry cores.

Some facing brick are as hard to get through with a core as granite. That is why you need good core bits too. Cores are definately not all the same.
A few times i've been stood hanging on to a core drill doing facing brick and thinking " i could be through this with 6 hits with the hammer":)

Being honest my core set probably isnt the best either. Sure i only paid £70 odd for it. Looking at what your saying tamz it's probably a combination of wrong drill and wrong cores for the job but they were the best i could afford at the time. Things are a little brighter on the work front now so i can maybe move up the ladder a bit on the core/drill front and make the job a tad easier.

Just used my new Marcrist DDM1 and PC850 cores, they're rather brilliant - 1 course of breeze took 15 secs, a course of engineering brick took about 75 secs. It wasn't out of its box more than 5 mins. Highly recommended. Used to use Bosch 4kg SDS hammer stop & Edge diamond cores, they took ages - Not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Metabo or makita Core Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock