Search the forum,

Discuss Log burning stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Does anyone know if you can get a log burning stove that has a vertical flue that doesn't require it to go through a chimney?
ie just a free standing appliance with the flue straight off the top. i assume you would have to have some sort of surround around the flue to stop anyone touching it?
i had a quick look on the meta and it looks like they must pass through a chimney?

Does anyone know if you can get a log burning stove that has a vertical flue that doesn't require it to go through a chimney?
ie just a free standing appliance with the flue straight off the top. i assume you would have to have some sort of surround around the flue to stop anyone touching it?
i had a quick look on the meta and it looks like they must pass through a chimney?

yes you can and you would use twin wall flue

Only needs twin wall where it passes through ceiling and beyond. Single skin pipe will radiate heat back into room and look neater. Ensure wall thickness suitable for stove. Thin walled gas flue not acceptable.

Only needs twin wall where it passes through ceiling and beyond. Single skin pipe will radiate heat back into room and look neater. Ensure wall thickness suitable for stove. Thin walled gas flue not acceptable.

what happens if small children are about (dont do wood burning stoves/heater)

If small children can reach flue they can also reach, and get severely burnt from stove.
Adequate guard needed.

Thanks for the replies. I take it that they normally come with the correct flue Anyway regarding thickness of flue wall?

The other thing I was thinking, how to the joints normally seal as it seems a bit risky having just a single walled flue with no safety device should a joint fail?

No, the flue is a generic part so you'll need to make sure it's the correct grade and suitable for the job. You know it'll need signing off through building control, the same as any other appliance yeah?

Your safety device is a carbon monoxide alarm, mandatory.
Flues come separate from stoves as each installation is unique.

A log burner was installed around our way about 6 months ago. Flue was installed incorrectly. Rest of family was asleep in bed when husband noticed co alarm going off. Fire brigade spent the night ventilating the house.

Get a Hetas engineer to install.

Could have ended differently.

I can't believe they don't supply the correct flue with the appliance. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

As above. Proper install needed. Danger is when people close down air to achieve overnight burn. Leaks on flue, that would normally draw in air, and incomplete combustion create a danger.

Should also add that in the absence of existing chimney the termination of flue above roof level needs special consideration, both for stability and to avoid downdraft.

Why would u not use a balanced flue from old gas boiler? My mate says it's fine

I can't believe they don't supply the correct flue with the appliance. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

You're not installing a flue, you're installing a chimney system. There are many variables to consider, size, route termination which could effect it's specification. Unlike a gas boiler, it's not a one size fits all approach.

The flue/chimney supplier can specify it based on your information, but if I'm honest (and without being disrespectful) it sounds as if you may be better passing the job to someone with a bit more knowledge, or doing some training prior to installing.

Try spec flue they will sec it correctly for what you want
As nostrum says it's a chimney system now as you taking it to termination

Yeah Even though it should be a fairly simple job I think I will get a qualified fitter in. Not worth the risk from the sound of it

As you are gas safe the HETAS installer course should be easy for you. Problem is unless you
pay annual fee you still cannot sign off work. For low number of installs fee may be uneconomical.( Bit like Part P)

Unless the manufacturer states that the log burner needs any specific flue parts, (and they probably won't) then you can install any flue system suitable for solid fuel, with compatible components, like adapters, brackets, etc. That means there are many flues you can use.
The stainless steel twin wall flue must have an internal stainless steel of a special grade that withstands solid fuel corrosive nature. A stainless steel liner put into an existing chimney must also be for solid fuel & not cheap.
If the log burner is 6" at flue connection, the flue must be that size of diameter the whole length of it and not smaller. Can be wider diameter though, but not ideal sometimes as causes too large volume of flue area & colder flue, worse draft etc.
You normally need ventilation for the log burner, if it is over 5kw. Personally I would recommend always have ventilation & preferably near to the log burner to prevent drafts going across the room

Last edited:

Be careful of to long a run of single wall before twin, especially with vaulted ceilings. The flue gases loose to much temp and can get tar. I'd always spend a bit extra and get chimney working realy well.

Unless the manufacturer states that the log burner needs any specific flue parts, (and they probably won't) then you can install any flue system suitable for solid fuel, with compatible components, like adapters, brackets, etc. That means there are many flues you can use.
The stainless steel twin wall flue must have an internal stainless steel of a special grade that withstands solid fuel corrosive nature. A stainless steel liner put into an existing chimney must also be for solid fuel & not cheap.
If the log burner is 6" at flue connection, the flue must be that size of diameter the whole length of it and not smaller. Can be wider diameter though, but not ideal sometimes as causes too large volume of flue area & colder flue, worse draft etc.
You normally need ventilation for the log burner, if it is over 5kw. Personally I would recommend always have ventilation & preferably near to the log burner to prevent drafts going across the room

I'd always recommend direct air stoves

Good point by Geyser regarding length of single wall. Hope it is read by those HETAS fitters who install flex linings in chimney on external wall and tell householder," No need to insulate".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Log burning stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock