Search the forum,

Discuss Loctite 55 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I used this for the first time yesterday on a compression that wouldn't seal.

Spot on

Excellent

I've got some, never used it though. You have to rough up the threads with your pump pliers first according to the instructions, never fancied doing that.

Never heard that one, never had a problem myself. (Not saying your wrong mind).

I think it says you should rough up the thread but I never have and haven't had any problems. Its good stuff.

I had a rad tail extension a couple of weeks ago that was an absolute bugger to seal, I considered the loctite, but ended up with 22 (yes 22!) wraps of PTFE, I went up in 5s from my usual 12 wraps until it held.
I think the thread roughing is to hold the loctite and stop it sliding out as you tighten the fitting. Will have a looksee at the loctite site, I'm sure there's a video.

Here's the video [video]http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802627059713&msdsLanguage=EN_GB&selectedTab=video[/video]

I had a rad tail extension a couple of weeks ago that was an absolute bugger to seal, I considered the loctite, but ended up with 22 (yes 22!) wraps of PTFE, I went up in 5s from my usual 12 wraps until it held.
I think the thread roughing is to hold the loctite and stop it sliding out as you tighten the fitting. Will have a looksee at the loctite site, I'm sure there's a video.

22 I usually put 18 on as standard and I had one batch of cheap reads & valves that all leaked until I put between 36 & 45 wraps, used about 10 rolls of ptfe on that job

I used this for the first time yesterday on a compression that wouldn't seal.

Spot on

Excellent

Do you mean a male or female iron rocket and your putting the 55 on screwed fittings, if its just a compression fitting i wouldnt be putting loctite 55 on anything.

22 I usually put 18 on as standard and I had one batch of cheap reads & valves that all leaked until I put between 36 & 45 wraps, used about 10 rolls of ptfe on that job

My starting point is normally 18-20 wraps aswell if i ever use PTFE

I find one wrap / gas ptfe is much better
Locktite 55 is good, I rough up bigger threads with a hacksaw blade

I used to carefully place the 55 cord in the threads not wrap it like a birds nest as shown in that video.

Used loads of 55, never roughed up the thread and never had a problem.

Mind you I use it exclusively on LCS not rad tails ect

Any of you used the liquid stuff I nearly passed out when they told me how much it was ! Never brought it.

577 plumb ? If so its good very good

Any of you used the liquid stuff I nearly passed out when they told me how much it was ! Never brought it.
It is expensive. But very good for difficult jobs when you need yo line a fitting up.
I use it for making valves onto chrome towel rails. Put a small amount on the start of the thread and screw in hand tight. Leave for a couple of hours and that's it! I tend to do them the day before. So far no problems.

Shaun beat me to it Loctite 577 on everything threaded I have used it since they made it is very good also better than the previous 572

Last edited:
Do you mean a male or female iron rocket and your putting the 55 on screwed fittings, if its just a compression fitting i wouldnt be putting loctite 55 on anything.

I didn't have a choice. I just wouldn't seal. It was either loctite or ptfe or an adjustable through the window!

I would argue (not me normaly) Loctite 577 is faultless

Put a small amount on the start of the thread and screw in hand tight. Leave for a couple of hours and that's it! I tend to do them the day before. So far no problems.

Never have a couple of hours to wait so tape or cord for me then.

I'm fascinated by how good this 577 stuff is but as rpm just said I can't really think of a use for it. I use PTFE on everything and have no issues. If something leaks with ptfe it needs redoing not trying something else.

I've got some, never used it though. You have to rough up the threads with your pump pliers first according to the instructions, never fancied doing that.

No don't do with pump pliers ... You will need a normal hacksaw blade and scratch the thread so the it gets rough to get a better hold.

Loctite is best stuff , you do not need much and it seals perfectly

I'm fascinated by how good this 577 stuff is but as rpm just said I can't really think of a use for it. I use PTFE on everything and have no issues. If something leaks with ptfe it needs redoing not trying something else.

You can use it for anything no everything it's good for steel and brass threads ... Good for gas pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loctite 55 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock