Discuss Legal issues around PRVs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eight

Hello,

I'm aware that people here may not be able to give definite answers as they're not lawyers but I would appreciate it if anybody is able to point me in the right direction.

I've recently bought a house which has a fairly new combi boiler. When it was installed, the pressure relief pipe was not terminated outside - it just runs down into the condensate pipe. A plumber who came to inspect the boiler for a CP12 gas safety certificate says that this is a bad thing and that it should run through the wall and terminate outside.

I'm fine with paying to have this done, my concern is that it would have to terminate on a public footpath; the plumber is suggesting a pipe which comes out of the wall and points back at the wall to prevent spraying steam across people walking past. This seems sensible except that these days I'm fairly sure that a copper pipe sticking out the side of a house next to a public footpath will be stolen within a matter of days, which would mean that if the PRV went off, it would potentially spray hot water/steam right across people walking past.

If this were to happen, am I likely to be liable for this? What are my options?

Thanks in advance,
Sean.

fit a metal cage over the top of it with some secure fixings. Use a mushroom terminal so theres only a few mm on show anyway and paint it to make it not look like copper.

Or drill a 35mm hole in brick about 35mm deep and the mushroom fits in this hole, then fix a nice bit of steel plate over hole, fit a few washers behind plate on screws at bottom so water can get out. Use spax to rc concrete screw to fix plate.... Will keep scrap man busy for while.

Christ, are people that desperate for 5p worth of copper these days that they'd steal 2" of pipe and a couple of bends outside a building??
As above though if you're that worried fit a PRV cowl so there's about 15mm of copper outside the house.

There are MILLIONS of blowoffs all over the uk and I've never come across a stolen one.

Go for a drive in south Sheilds , will take a picture if flue baskets that have been ripped off, seem to remember a few stolen flue components too

There are MILLIONS of blowoffs all over the uk and I've never come across a stolen one.

Recently did some post service remedial work for a gas maintenance company,spent days repiping 'stolen blowoffs'

Have to say that it is a common occurrence round here which is getting more common. Couldn't be bothered for 3" copper

Same here, happening all the time... especially on houses with gable ends were the pipe is easy accessible. Seems sad like someone else said for a few pennies worth of copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Legal issues around PRVs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently had a plumber come over to look at a badly leaking shower head. As best I can recall, he described the problem as a crack in the bridge...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
Morning All, Just after some advice as I have been asked to plumb in a sink and washing machine waste for a new kitchenette. The other side of the...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock