Search the forum,

Discuss Legal issues around PRVs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eight

Hello,

I'm aware that people here may not be able to give definite answers as they're not lawyers but I would appreciate it if anybody is able to point me in the right direction.

I've recently bought a house which has a fairly new combi boiler. When it was installed, the pressure relief pipe was not terminated outside - it just runs down into the condensate pipe. A plumber who came to inspect the boiler for a CP12 gas safety certificate says that this is a bad thing and that it should run through the wall and terminate outside.

I'm fine with paying to have this done, my concern is that it would have to terminate on a public footpath; the plumber is suggesting a pipe which comes out of the wall and points back at the wall to prevent spraying steam across people walking past. This seems sensible except that these days I'm fairly sure that a copper pipe sticking out the side of a house next to a public footpath will be stolen within a matter of days, which would mean that if the PRV went off, it would potentially spray hot water/steam right across people walking past.

If this were to happen, am I likely to be liable for this? What are my options?

Thanks in advance,
Sean.

fit a metal cage over the top of it with some secure fixings. Use a mushroom terminal so theres only a few mm on show anyway and paint it to make it not look like copper.

Or drill a 35mm hole in brick about 35mm deep and the mushroom fits in this hole, then fix a nice bit of steel plate over hole, fit a few washers behind plate on screws at bottom so water can get out. Use spax to rc concrete screw to fix plate.... Will keep scrap man busy for while.

Christ, are people that desperate for 5p worth of copper these days that they'd steal 2" of pipe and a couple of bends outside a building??
As above though if you're that worried fit a PRV cowl so there's about 15mm of copper outside the house.

There are MILLIONS of blowoffs all over the uk and I've never come across a stolen one.

Go for a drive in south Sheilds , will take a picture if flue baskets that have been ripped off, seem to remember a few stolen flue components too

There are MILLIONS of blowoffs all over the uk and I've never come across a stolen one.

Recently did some post service remedial work for a gas maintenance company,spent days repiping 'stolen blowoffs'

Have to say that it is a common occurrence round here which is getting more common. Couldn't be bothered for 3" copper

Same here, happening all the time... especially on houses with gable ends were the pipe is easy accessible. Seems sad like someone else said for a few pennies worth of copper.

They stole gas pipework by me, and they didn't turn the gas off either. About 8 houses in a row. Somebody walking down the street called the grid and reported a gas leak.

I've seen that, been to a job to reinstate gas to find the run had been nicked. Good job they were on a pre pay meter

I wonder if meters should have an excess flowvalve with a trickle feed to reset them... Hmm

I did a spat of call outs to Hartlepool when I first started to some lovely houses, meters removed, gas gone and broken off ecv cold water flooding house...... Did about 5 on a row every night. Turns out landlord was running insurance scam. How did I know, pipe work was sheared off , boiler flue was removed, prv cut with slice and rad brackets unscrewed.

I did a spat of call outs to Hartlepool when I first started to some lovely houses, meters removed, gas gone and broken off ecv cold water flooding house...... Did about 5 on a row every night. Turns out landlord was running insurance scam. How did I know, pipe work was sheared off , boiler flue was removed, prv cut with slice and rad brackets unscrewed.

I just don't understand why folks would do that.... animals.... i know I'll never be a millionaire, but when i go i know i wasn't a crook,thief or just scum :)

Ive heard a housing block in East London had 23-30 blow off nicked in one night ,
plus had a call from a landlord . Tenant had no hot water , some one nicked 2ft of copper that comes off the meter

We see a lot of ETM's stolen. Go along press button for credit and if there's a few quid on it it walks!!!

Blimey... folk will steal anything... a boiler?? the mind boggles :(

The last company I worked for had quite a few pinched. They took the boiler and jig. They were all housing association voids. But not one had any sign of a break in. So they ended up fitting the boiler then removing it leaving just the jig then going to refit and commission the morning of hand over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Legal issues around PRVs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock