Search the forum,

Discuss Leaving ball-a-fix valves under tiled floor. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hello all. I haven't been here on here in ages. It's very interesting reading all the different threads, and realising we all have the same ups and downs!

Anyway, while I'm here, I thought I'd ask a question.

I'm working for a builder this week, in a large house that has another firm + plumber doing a loft extension.

I'm first fixing a bathroom suite that I ripped out today. The other plumber drained the c/h system and I moved my pipes to the rough position I'll want them, but as the towel rail doesn't arrive for a week, I just capped off with 2 full flow ballafix valves. That way I don't have to drain the system, refill, inhibitor and vent. Anyway, the other plumber refilled the system (Saved me a job) and I just want to be lazy and plumb away from my Ballafix valves when the rad arrives.

What troubles me, is that ply and tiles will cover these valves one day.

They'll only ever get turned on/off once and we all use compression fittings without issue, so am I being paranoid? Or should I spend the considerable time and money doing a full drain down etc?

If you do reply to this, many thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
i would love to tell you no, it shouldnt be done, but ive done it myself - so wont.
chill out. xx

i would love to tell you no, it shouldnt be done, but ive done it myself - so wont.
chill out. xx

That's what I wanted to hear mate! Cheers.

I guess I worked with my old man too long, he'd make me whip em out!!

seen and repaired more speedfit underfloors than ballofix.
smear some lsx around them to be sure.

dont forget to move house in 2 years so you dont get a call back when they do leak

dont forget to move house in 2 years so you dont get a call back when they do leak
Two years isn't very optimistic!!

They should be fine. I deserve some good karma, but lets face it. If I got a call out and found a leaky ballafix under a tiled floor........after I'd ripped a hole in the ceiling and repaired it, I'd say 'what a cowboy'!!

Ha!!! - But the general concensus is they'll be fine, and think of all the money I'm saving my client. Finally, I know it's been done before, as I've seen it, and no they haven't leaked. I just wondered if it was a MAJOR no no.

went to a callout recently where the ballofix valve had shut itself down over time and the taps no longer worked inthe kitchen that is until me and my screwdriver arrived. I think you said yourself, its a cowboys trick and isnt very professional

no compression joint should be buried its bound to get a prob at some point

no compression joint should be buried its bound to get a prob at some point

is that another one of your own rules newbie?
do you have an idea to the amount of compression joints under floorboards in britain that dont cause problems - nope because you only know about the ones you have to fix.
do you know how many soldered fittings there are under floorboards - nope because you only know about the ones you have to fix.
very bland comment, and no proof.

Those slotted ballofix valves tend to leak from the slot when you try and turn them off after a couple of years, no ones going to be doing that, "theyl be reet".:)

If you're so worried, why not freeze the pipes and whip them off when you're doing the installation? A throw away kit costs around a tenner and I've not had any problems with them.

whilst my own opinion is no it would not be the first time I have come across them I think a lot of plumbers fit em just to be able to fill and go
ball-o-fix is the genuine brand name but at [last time I bought them] more than five pounds ago most guys buy the standard issue at most suppliers as we all know sometimes the quality is just not there.Be careful.!!:)
regards turnpin

is that another one of your own rules newbie?
do you have an idea to the amount of compression joints under floorboards in britain that dont cause problems - nope because you only know about the ones you have to fix.
do you know how many soldered fittings there are under floorboards - nope because you only know about the ones you have to fix.
very bland comment, and no proof.

bit of a personal attack there and no it isnt one of my own rules
but any compression joint should really be accesible as any movement on the pipe could cause the compression jount to weep and would hardly be ideal when not accessible and yes i am sure there are thousands of compression joints under floorboard and thousands of soldered joints under floorboards

It isnt right but its not wrong either, providing they have been fitted correctly not a problem. As has been said before I have had more bad experience where pushfit has been installed incorrectly.

And lets face it in some applications a compression joint is the real safe option as opposed to burning someones house down.

Just mulling over the post , why on a gas line can no compession joint be inaccessible (that includes under floorboards) but soldered can ?
If you cant sleep change them , if you can its fine ;)

er! because there classed as a temporary mechanical fitting?.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never intended to throw the debate so wide open. Clearly the opinion is mixed. So as the person who asked the original question, here's my humble opinion...

Compression joints are very unlikely to leak ever if made on properly wilth compound. Ballafix valves do weep from the slot (branch) quite reguarly, but you are talking about cheap valves manufactured 8 years ago. Most modern, full bore valves are of a superb qualilty and the price ÂŁ4.50 a go reflects this fact.

I posed the question as I didn't want to go against regulations, but it seems I'm not.

The jury is still out as to whether I should do it or not, but we all recognise that it's a short cut and somtimes shortcuts pay off big time. The system I'm working on has three other plumbers working on it, and when one of them drained the system, I jumped at the chance to alter my pipework and but in the valves as it means I don't have to vent, inject inhibitor and take any flack from the client.

Finally to who ever asked, I can't hold the system on a vacuum as it is pressurised, and yes I could have applied a freeze, but I generally do that as a last resort.

Thanks to everyone for their opinion, I've read them all with interest, and I think they're all totally valid.

just reading the question.
why on a gas line can no compession joint be inaccessible (that includes under floorboards)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaving ball-a-fix valves under tiled floor. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock