Discuss Leaving ball-a-fix valves under tiled floor. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
whilst my own opinion is no it would not be the first time I have come across them I think a lot of plumbers fit em just to be able to fill and go
ball-o-fix is the genuine brand name but at [last time I bought them] more than five pounds ago most guys buy the standard issue at most suppliers as we all know sometimes the quality is just not there.Be careful.!!:)
regards turnpin

is that another one of your own rules newbie?
do you have an idea to the amount of compression joints under floorboards in britain that dont cause problems - nope because you only know about the ones you have to fix.
do you know how many soldered fittings there are under floorboards - nope because you only know about the ones you have to fix.
very bland comment, and no proof.

bit of a personal attack there and no it isnt one of my own rules
but any compression joint should really be accesible as any movement on the pipe could cause the compression jount to weep and would hardly be ideal when not accessible and yes i am sure there are thousands of compression joints under floorboard and thousands of soldered joints under floorboards

It isnt right but its not wrong either, providing they have been fitted correctly not a problem. As has been said before I have had more bad experience where pushfit has been installed incorrectly.

And lets face it in some applications a compression joint is the real safe option as opposed to burning someones house down.

Just mulling over the post , why on a gas line can no compession joint be inaccessible (that includes under floorboards) but soldered can ?
If you cant sleep change them , if you can its fine ;)

er! because there classed as a temporary mechanical fitting?.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never intended to throw the debate so wide open. Clearly the opinion is mixed. So as the person who asked the original question, here's my humble opinion...

Compression joints are very unlikely to leak ever if made on properly wilth compound. Ballafix valves do weep from the slot (branch) quite reguarly, but you are talking about cheap valves manufactured 8 years ago. Most modern, full bore valves are of a superb qualilty and the price £4.50 a go reflects this fact.

I posed the question as I didn't want to go against regulations, but it seems I'm not.

The jury is still out as to whether I should do it or not, but we all recognise that it's a short cut and somtimes shortcuts pay off big time. The system I'm working on has three other plumbers working on it, and when one of them drained the system, I jumped at the chance to alter my pipework and but in the valves as it means I don't have to vent, inject inhibitor and take any flack from the client.

Finally to who ever asked, I can't hold the system on a vacuum as it is pressurised, and yes I could have applied a freeze, but I generally do that as a last resort.

Thanks to everyone for their opinion, I've read them all with interest, and I think they're all totally valid.

just reading the question.
why on a gas line can no compession joint be inaccessible (that includes under floorboards)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaving ball-a-fix valves under tiled floor. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock