Discuss Leaking soldered joint due to water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm finishing a job tomorrow but I've had a leak in a pipe that won't solder properly because I can't get all the water out of it. I was thinking about cutting the offending piece out and putting in 2 compression joints instead but I'd like to avoid this if possible. Anyone got a sensible solution?! Thanks all in advance.

cut out offending fitting re-pipe but i use a water hoover to suck water out pipework!

agree with the hoover to clear water from pipework i've read on here about bread not sure if it is a wind up to be honest

steve

Was it that you were trying to solder down stream of a passing stop valve/gate valve? If so replace the valve first or bung the tank.

I too have a wet vac, if the hot gate is passing and say you're trying to solder a pipe under the bathroom floor, then put the vac on the basin or bath tap and it will draw the water away from the soldered joint.

A plumbers life with a wet vac is made easy and I don't really understand guys who don't have them.

agree with the hoover to clear water from pipework i've read on here about bread not sure if it is a wind up to be honest

steve

Not a wind up at all, roll white bread into ball and bung in pipe, soaks up the water as you heat the join and breaks down after - flushing though taps. Not sure I'd use it on CH though..

thanks hooded claw i'll have to try it myself although the only pipes with water in i have had have been on ch pipes

steve

I too have wondered about the bread.

I can understand how it mops up the water, but how do you get it out when you've finished soldering?

Or am I missing something?

I too have wondered about the bread.

I can understand how it mops up the water, but how do you get it out when you've finished soldering?

Or am I missing something?

think he sais it breaks up upon refilling or pressurising a sytem

Once you push the brerad in, heat up the pipes to evaporate any water residue before soldering the joint.

No don't carbonise it or it will leave hard debris in the pipes. It should be far enough down the pipe not to get too hot. Once you turn the water on it goes runny, a bit like the bread sauce with the Christmas goose, and you flush it out.

if the soldered joint is near to a valve i uncouple it and flame the pipe til it boils off leaving the pipe dry for soldering. failing that i would use a push fit

KJ

I think next time I want some marmalade I'll fetch me blowtorch in from the van ...

On occasion it is possible to disassemble and remake a joint where doing any other alterations would be a real pain, but it's a fiddly job. Unsolder the joint and remove the fittings, melt and wire brush off as much solder as possible. Allow to cool and wire brush until all metal bright, flux and make again with a fresh fitting.

Simply heating up and adding more solder will never work once water has got through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking soldered joint due to water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock