Discuss Landlord Gase Safe Certificate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I also understand that it might not be every 12 months BUT it must be carried out at EVERY change of tenancy regardless of occupation period. So if tenant bails out after a month eg it MUST be carried out again ..Centralheatking

No it doesn't. The requirement is for an inspection annually. There is no need to retest at every tenancy change, under the gas regs. It MAY be that a "duty if care" might suggest an inspection on a tenancy change, but that is different and a CP12 would not be REQUIRED.

There is no leeway for practicalities. So, strictly speaking, you would be breaking the law for 12 days. Nobody is ever going to check, though, unless something goes wrong, and that would be brought up.

It doesn’t seem right to me, they’re usually earlier if anything. I wouldn’t know for sure, i work directly for a social landlord and we try and work on a 10 month cycle. Someone on here might be in a better position to answer this, failing that ask gas safe themselves.

I am surprised, Craig, that you're outfit works on a 1o month cycle - as a Landlord I would not agree to that.

You can schedule the check for 11 months and forward date it to the original anniversary, effectively avoiding the OP's problem. If you do it 10 months, you "waste" 2 months on the ticket. Same as an MOT

EDIT: I missed a page full of replies, so apologise if I have repeated stuff.
[automerge]1569267925[/automerge]
Section 21 of what?

Last year I rented 2 caravans on a Haven site. They both gad P12s on show. They are a requirement - unless you go to the effort of issuing a CP12 to every incoming occupier.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. The requirement is for an inspection annually. There is no need to retest at every tenancy change, under the gas regs. It MAY be that a "duty if care" might suggest an inspection on a tenancy change, but that is different and a CP12 would not be REQUIRED.

There is no leeway for practicalities. So, strictly speaking, you would be breaking the law for 12 days. Nobody is ever going to check, though, unless something goes wrong, and that would be brought up.

I am surprised, Craig, that you're outfit works on a 1o month cycle - as a Landlord I would not agree to that.

You can schedule the check for 11 months and forward date it to the original anniversary, effectively avoiding the OP's problem. If you do it 10 months, you "waste" 2 months on the ticket. Same as an MOT

EDIT: I missed a page full of replies, so apologise if I have repeated stuff.

Forward dating. I was told it runs 12 months from the date of the inspection no forward dating to align with original anniversary.

What of those instance that the Engineer cannot get access and has to return after the certificate has expired? Who is at fault then? Still the landlord?

Forward dating. I was told it runs 12 months from the date of the inspection no forward dating to align with original anniversary.

What of those instance that the Engineer cannot get access and has to return after the certificate has expired? Who is at fault then? Still the landlord?

It is ALWAYS the Landlord. It is his responsibility. My LA, and I know a lot of others do, give 3 chances and then apply for a warrant to force entry.

Forward Dating: the rules were changed a couple f years ago. To exactly the same as an MOT. I month early, post date the required retest date. I month + 1 day, no forwarding allowed.

TBH, I don't know, offhand, if the "month" is 28 days or a calendar month.
[automerge]1569268482[/automerge]

I have just noticed that you are the OP. You may find this of interest. In particular Note 2 and the second last paragraph:

An extract from GSIUR 1998 regulation 36A - 10 months, we do it like that because of difficult to access properties. Hence no wastage, just accessed and safe properties.

Thanks,
Chris.

Attachments

• B998C982-231E-4602-A370-45A265F7E199.jpeg
    B998C982-231E-4602-A370-45A265F7E199.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 16
An extract from GSIUR 1998 regulation 36A - 10 months, we do it like that because of difficult to access properties. Hence no wastage, just accessed and safe properties.

Thanks,
Chris.

Cheers Chris & Firemant, reassuring to have my understanding confirmed by a couple of professionals. Wasn’t aware of the post dating, that’s a good one to know. Lots of good info for others too I’m sure .

Thanks,
Chris.

Fair enough, Chris. In my head it was 11 months. In my defence, I have not been SE for 5 years so have not done CP12 s for private LL s since the new rules. None the less, I am a little embarrassed.

At least it was on the cautious side, pretty much impossible to keep up with the quantity of legislation these days.

I have criticised others about lack of tech knowledge,and it is important that we DO keep up with legislation. Some stuff is "open to debate", but I was fundamentally wrong. Even having posted a link with the correct info!

But thanks, anyway.

It IS very difficult to keep abreast of tech stuff. I think gas safe have a role in thos, which they are not fulfilling. The 10/12 mnth thing is a good case in point. Some guys are obviously not aware of it - and it may be that I wouldn't know if I did not read the Gas Safe Magazine. But I only see that as I have personal registration as well as the company number. So I get the mag posted to me. Employers get ONE copy, regardless of the number of engineers.

IMO, and at dire risk of repeating myself, GS should be emailing EVERY Tech Bulletin and change of rules to EVERY RGI. Once set up, it costs bugger all, and I really do not understand why they don't do it

Thanks for this update as I am sure many Gas Engineers are just using the old system of 12 months from the date of inspection.

I will call the company again and ask them if they can bring someone out quicker. But will put it un my calendar from 10 months from now so can keep anniversary and avoid issues with access.

Reply to Landlord Gase Safe Certificate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock