Search the forum,

Discuss Landlord gas cert pricing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry chap I have no need to charge rip-off prices or over charge for parts or for unwanted items, and to suggest that I find offensive, That's more like your Essex wide boy tricks , I've been doing this job for quite a number of years and have no need to con or rip people off,
Sorry if I got your back up, JTS. It was a joke aimed at Sid Viscous and not at you. I'm going to pretend I didn't read the the 'Essex wide boy' comment. My point was that if he was working at a minimum charge of £14, then he probably wasn't making money on the labour, so he would need to make it elsewhere (in any case, . It's not a case of conning or ripping people off, it's a case of making enough money to pay the bills, and, as you say, your rate isn't £14, nor, for the record, do I truly believe Sid's is £14.
Hope that clears things up? Have a good day :)

Last edited:
Sorry if I got your back up, JTS. It was a joke aimed at Sid Viscous and not at you. I'm going to pretend I didn't read the the 'Essex wide boy' comment. My point was that if he was working at a minimum charge of £14, then he probably wasn't making money on the labour, so he would need to make it elsewhere (in any case, . It's not a case of conning or ripping people off, it's a case of making enough money to pay the bills, and, as you say, your rate isn't £14, nor, for the record, do I truly believe Sid's is £14.
Hope that clears things up? Have a good day :)

Not a problem, but the annoying thing is I know people that are doing CP12 for very low money , and this is due to being a Uni city with countless student lets with the letting agents dictating the costs, and due to the very high number of engineers in the area they manage to keep the prices down, guys offering to do them for less just to get the work, a large area of Plymouth is over run with students, good news for shops & bars, almost every new build or property conversion in the city is done to accommodate students, where as the local citizens get overlooked & pushed out, Lucky for me I don't need to go into the city.

as you say, your rate isn't £14, nor, for the record, do I truly believe Sid's is £14.

Bloody right it's not! Nor do I oversell, nor do I put huge mark-ups on materials. I accepted the fact a long time ago that I'm not gonna get rich doing this, certainly not in this area! Honesty, integrity, good customer service & good customer relations bring their own rewards.

Haven't been online much since starting this thread. A lot of interesting replies, thanks.

£14?? That's terrible. It's true, you can be too busy and never earn money. I'll probably go in about 50 and say 75 with the main appliance serviced.

Interesting thread this.ive just moved down to the south west from Oxfordshire and find the earnings the same.

Working for a company again but in Sidmouth. Earning the same as what I was couple of years ago in Oxfordshire.

Wouldn’t charge less than £75+ vat for a landlords plus extra appliances.

The problem is gas engineers taking the work on at really crap prices . If everybody charged the correct price for doing the work PROPERLY then landlords would have to pay it. The price shouldn't be dictated by the customer but the engineer.

They can't treat the working man this way! One of these days we'll form a union, and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! Then we'll go too far, and become corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!

You need a minimum charge, unless you're going to start charging rip-off prices on parts, overselling things that aren't needed etc etc.

I find the best way to make money is to do all those things at once.

Interesting thread this.ive just moved down to the south west from Oxfordshire and find the earnings the same.

Working for a company again but in Sidmouth. Earning the same as what I was couple of years ago in Oxfordshire.

Wouldn’t charge less than £75+ vat for a landlords plus extra appliances.

Think it a little different working for a Co , wages are pretty even wherever you are some areas pay above the average, and that depends on the amount labour available, Co in my area (Only a small town) charge way over what I do , but then they have different overheads than I do, I couldn't charge anywhere near what they do, £75 + in this area you would never get any work,

Hi JTS,

How does this work then? As if the company is charging a lot more than £75, surely that would give an independent a significant margin with which to compete? Or is is simply that the large company can give a 24h service every day of the year or some other advantage that means customers are happy to pay more?

Its the same reason that some people will use BG for boiler replacements, they think they get a better more trustworthy service, still under the misconception that the small guy will rip them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord gas cert pricing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock