Search the forum,

Discuss Landlord gas cert pricing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi,

I understand some people don't like discussing money or giving away their prices so I understand if I don't get many replies. If you don't mind sharing, what do you charge for a Landlord gas safety cert?

I have had people say they need a few doing soon but not sure what to charge them.

A service of the main appliance then safety checks on anything else, I find it hard to price.

£75-120 depending on what's to be done (standard appliances)

I always charge for the time to do the job.
I don't have a set price.
There are many folk out there who do this for Peanuts. My view on that is they can keep it!
One chap I know was doing em for £25?

Thanks.

A company I used to work for would charge £75, mostly boiler a boiler and hob. Sometimes there would be a fire also.

£65 boiler
£75 boiler and hob
But I don't do many

Some are easy some you get messed around with collecting keys etc.

Can only afford this stuff.

IMG_0111.JPG

£20-25 seems to be about the going rate for this.

Any more would be a rip off.

Have heard of £15 certificates but these are usually done
on a drive past.

Your joking right ?

How can you run a business when your minimum charge is so low?
I've worked out that my business needs to take in at least £250 plus materials, per week, to be worth running at all (and I don't have the same costs that an RGI would have). Do you really manage to get 10 or more callouts a week and without too much mileage?

This depends on what you are going to be doing, are you just doing the gas safety checks ? or are you servicing the appliances has well ? two different types of work CP12 doesn't include a service, that's where a lot of people come unstuck on costs, a CP12 can take a little as 30min, whereas if you are including the service it could take 2/3 hrs. depending what has to be done.

How can you do a LL Cert for £20-£25?
Even if there was just a fire.

You must Tightness test twice, remove fire, visual up chimney, smoke test flue, Check in loft and bedrooms etc, inspect the gas fire even if you are not servicing it, replace it, Gas pressure, Gas rate, spillage tests.

Not to mention any other appliances, time involved getting to the job and onto the next, form filling.

Just out of curiosity how long does all this take you if you don't mind me asking?
Like I said above, I know a chap who does this for the same price and he is hideously busy but makes no money.

How can you do a LL Cert for £20-£25?
Even if there was just a fire.

You must Tightness test twice, remove fire, visual up chimney, smoke test flue, Check in loft and bedrooms etc, inspect the gas fire even if you are not servicing it, replace it, Gas pressure, Gas rate, spillage tests.

Not to mention any other appliances, time involved getting to the job and onto the next, form filling.

Just out of curiosity how long does all this take you if you don't mind me asking?
Like I said above, I know a chap who does this for the same price and he is hideously busy but makes no money.

No but a lot do, even less, I think a lot of it is to do with new guys just starting out, and letting agents screwing the price down, newbies tend to jump on this with the promise of X amount of jobs, then after 6mths find they are running at a loss, ask for an increase then don't get any more work, always someone willing to jump in for even less money.

No but a lot do, even less, I think a lot of it is to do with new guys just starting out, and letting agents screwing the price down, newbies tend to jump on this with the promise of X amount of jobs, then after 6mths find they are running at a loss, ask for an increase then don't get any more work, always someone willing to jump in for even less money.

Yes, I thought it must be something like that. I get estate agents ringing us every now and again with the patter. You will have heard it,

" Hey, I am calling from xyz estate agents, we have thousands of landlords properties on our books and we are looking for a gas installer to do all our work for us and guess what, you're it! YAY
We can put lots of work your way".

What they really mean to say is

"You go out and work hard all hours to fit in around us and the tenants, keep qualified and insured costing you a fortune, Stick £90 a week in a van to chase around all over creation, sign your name to all documents needed then we can point our fingers at you when there's a fatality, gas leak, fire etc, charge us a pittance so we can add on the other £75 that the job is actually worth and charge that to the Landlord who is completely clueless, wait three month's for your money so I can pay for my suit, tan, aftershave and Porsche !

My answer is always very similar but I cannot post it on open Forum.

Rant over!

£45 for a landlords cert , £75 for a boiler service + materials . cheers kop

£60+vat for boiler and hob/cooker. Any extra appliances are 30+vat on top.
A letting agent I do maintenance work for, have a guy that does their certs for £28 each. I enquired and offered £50+vat a cert because of the volume of work but laughed when they told me how much they currently pay. He clearly doesn't do them properly as I have At Risked a few only a couple weeks after they have passed.

Followed too many of the £25 gang and the Tenant asks why you're taking the cover off the boiler, going in the loft, taking the fire out etc because nobodies ever done that and why are you going to be here more than ten minutes !!!

In the ten years I rented out my house, no RGI did a leak test more than once. Shocked to discover that they are supposed to be done twice (though doing them twice makes sense, presumably you're checking none of the gas taps have intermittent let-by?). And I always went by recommendation not price, and never paid less than £60 (non condensing heat-only boiler, and gas cooker).

There was a post in the GE mag a few months ago stating that even though it is best practice to there is no law that states a tightness test has to be carried out on a LGSC. It is engineer preference and whilst most Engineer do it as standard some engineers charge extra for this and unless asked it is not completed. I have to do it or I cannot sleep at night.:p:D But that’s just me!!

Ridiculous that they aren't part of the check. Even I can do a tightness test (not that I'm qualified, but I've done them under supervision). Not exactly complicated, or a long process. I suppose that's what you get for £25: a visual inspection - rather makes a mockery of the whole thing.

Per number of appliances to be checked.
(though doing them twice makes sense, presumably you're checking none of the gas taps have intermittent let-by?).
And yes, always TT twice! First as a benchmark & to see if it's safe to proceed, second to check after appliances have been disconnected & reconnected, as Last Plumber said - fires out etc etc

main problem is most of the prices have been axed & cut to the bone by Tight arsed Landlords & letting agents, would say the average in the Plymouth area is £45. or less, mainly due to it being a student area and the number of available gas engineers. (The city is over run with them.) We get the same crap every year being offered £12.to £14. For CP12 work per property regardless of how meny items your checking even if it is the tenants own appliance they still want it doing. Local council will even send one of their office bods around to watch what your doing & how long it takes.

Well this goes back to a previous thread about call-out charges. I don't have a call-out charge, I do have a minimum charge and it ain't £14 pal! As for that bloke from the council, unless you're working on council property it's nothing to do with them. Our city council have their own gas guys who look after their properties.

You need a minimum charge, unless you're going to start charging rip-off prices on parts, overselling things that aren't needed etc etc. Unless you can get sponsorship as a charity, that is.

So your minimum charge is less than £14? I'll bear you in mind ;)

Here in Colchester, I'm pretty sure council sub-contracts gas checks to private companies.

Sorry guys not explaining myself to today, got a stinking cold & chest infection, the £12 - £14 usely comes up almost every year from large Co taking on council contracts, The £45 is an average price in the Plymouth area for CP12 work, but people are doing it for less in the City, because it is over run with 100s of gas guys chasing the work, I was referring to doing council work, that I was doing about 5 years ago & they did at the time send one of their office guys around to time how long the jobs took, maybe not in your area but it did go on in Plymouth, No I didn't say my rate was £14, although I know of some that are charging less than that, I don't put up on here what I charge that's my business & not open for discussion, + I don't work the Plymouth area, Dartmoor and surrounding areas is my domain, You must remember the South West is not the highest paid Region to work in, when I moved back from Berkshire I had to take a big hit in earnings.

You need a minimum charge, unless you're going to start charging rip-off prices on parts, overselling things that aren't needed etc etc. Unless you can get sponsorship as a charity, that is.

So your minimum charge is less than £14? I'll bear you in mind ;)

Here in Colchester, I'm pretty sure council sub-contracts gas checks to private companies.

Sorry chap I have no need to charge rip-off prices or over charge for parts or for unwanted items, and to suggest that I find offensive, That's more like your Essex wide boy tricks , I've been doing this job for quite a number of years and have no need to con or rip people off,

Well this goes back to a previous thread about call-out charges. I don't have a call-out charge, I do have a minimum charge and it ain't £14 pal! As for that bloke from the council, unless you're working on council property it's nothing to do with them. Our city council have their own gas guys who look after their properties.

So do they now in Plymouth, But they cant cope with the amount of CP12 work and contract it out to other Co , and they usely come from outside the region.

main problem is most of the prices have been axed & cut to the bone by Tight arsed Landlords & letting agents, would say the average in the Plymouth area is £45. or less, mainly due to it being a student area and the number of available gas engineers. (The city is over run with them.) We get the same crap every year being offered £12.to £14. For CP12 work per property regardless of how meny items your checking even if it is the tenants own appliance they still want it doing. Local council will even send one of their office bods around to watch what your doing & how long it takes.
The problem is gas engineers taking the work on at really crap prices . If everybody charged the correct price for doing the work PROPERLY then landlords would have to pay it. The price shouldn't be dictated by the customer but the engineer.

The problem is gas engineers taking the work on at really crap prices . If everybody charged the correct price for doing the work PROPERLY then landlords would have to pay it. The price shouldn't be dictated by the customer but the engineer.

Yes that's true, but in some areas needs must, even more so when area has an excessive amount of engineers seeking work, and it doesn't stop at CP12 work, there are guys in this area doing boiler changes for less than £150. and that is what your competing against, Customer only sees the end cost, they don't care as long as they have a working boiler,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord gas cert pricing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock